Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round #16: Me and My Dragon  (Read 19617 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

I'll go with Agartha because Earth (and death to a lesser extent) is the only path I really know the ins and outs of. And I really like their lore. (Critical for enjoying the experience in my opinion.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Confirming our picks from our PM discussion, Karlito, we'll go with R'lyeh for fourth and Jomon for fifth picks. 

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

I'm going to go with Pangaea as my nation choice. They don't synergize with Agartha as much as R'lyeh and Jomon, but I'm reasonably confident that I can play them competently which is probably most important.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

Nasaljack picks Mictlan.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for the delay - I've been having a lot of indecision. We'll take Midgard as our second pick.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round #16: Me and My Dragon (Deciding Map)
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2015, 08:33:00 pm »

Alright, that's done.  I've updated the front page with everyone's teams.

Now, on to map selection.  It needs to be double wrap for game balance (my own strong personal opinion), and since we have one underwater race and a few races with hope of entering water (not that they're likely to wrest it out of R'lyeh control) it'll need to have enough water for one player.  Beyond that I really don't care.  Any nominations?  It can be random if that's what people want.

Also I think that we should either find a benevolent third party to assign secret start positions that put each team close to each other, or just have non-secret start positions that everyone agrees on.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2015, 10:47:27 pm »

How many maps are there with a real underground? Agartha and R'lyeh are both factions where every unit has darkvision, and C'tis/Mictlan have darkvision on their undead, demons and atlantians, so there would be a lot of competition for a proper cave network.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 08:10:30 pm »

I did a bit of map digging.  Feel free to post any others; I think most of the ones I found are a bit on the big side.  I'm slightly inclined towards Chalice, personally, but it might not be a blatant thing.  Peliwyr could work, but I kinda played it in both of the two games I've played here. 

Plane of Rusty Caves (144+12): 4 unconnected caves.  15.6 provinces per player overall, 12 provinces for UW if unopposed (just under par). 

Peliwyr (127+18): Three-cave system with sporadic caves elsewhere (2-3?).  14.5 provinces per player overall, 18 provinces for UW if unopposed (significantly over par). 

Chalice of Ilmatar (89+12): A single unified 16-province cave system, pursuant to its advertisement as "cave rich."  10.1 provinces per player, 12 UW. 

Realm of Rampaging Roaches (78+10): Vanilla, would need editing for caves.  8.8 provinces per player overall, 10 UW. 

The Desert Eye (108+17): Vanilla, would need editing for caves. 12.5 provinces per player overall, 17 UW. 

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2015, 08:43:45 pm »

I... might be willing to do non-wrap for Chalice, but if we do that then the teams should start in the corners so no one gets screwed by geography.  It looks pretty nice.

Failing that, I've always thought Desert Eye was pretty nice in my brief SP excursions.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2015, 08:45:32 pm »

Yeah, I only threw Chalice in because it was the only map I found with an absolutely huge amount of caves while still keeping to a general baseline of 8-12 provinces per player.  About how many caves would people prefer for the map, just as a sort of guideline if we edit or go random?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:47:37 pm by Culise »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2015, 08:47:38 pm »

The caves thing isn't really a huge requirement, I mean SOMEONE will probably end up casting the darkness spell before the game ends.  What with all the dark vision and death mages.

Anyway, I'll wait a bit so anyone who cares can comment on map choice.

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2015, 04:05:11 am »

I'm inclined towards Chalice or Peliwyr. Caves matter for cave-only summoning spells on top of darkvision. I hear cave crabs are quite good. Don't know if that's tactical advice or culinary.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2015, 03:27:38 pm »

Ok, I've been too slow as host so I'm going to pick Chalice against my better judgement since its a cool map and its the preferred choice thus far.  I'm going to add some premade not secret starts, which I will post when I'm done and you all can voice your objections if you have any.

If everyone could start making their pretenders that would be appreciated.  Let's get started by the weekend.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 03:32:47 pm »

Chalice seems like it has too many caves for the total provinces it has, but I guess that's what I get for not speaking up sooner.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2015, 03:44:40 pm »

There's also those six land provinces flanked on two sides by ocean and one by a river, those would be incredibly easy for the Jomon/R'lyeh team to hold.  Other than that it looks fine; I was thinking Agartha would start in the caves, that way if they manage to completely hold the underground they get about 10 provinces but if not they still have the option of going above ground to grab a few.

I don't know, its flawed but I think we could still have a good game on it.  If we want to have a discussion about this we can, just please people actually post and suggest your own maps.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12