Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Ice Station WereZebra  (Read 54075 times)

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Station WereZebra
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2015, 04:48:03 pm »

I mean... I'm free, but I was the third last turn so it doesn't seem fair.

Aren't you scheduled to take a turn in Parallel Fortress One soon... after me actually I think. I'm almost done with my year. I just need to write it up. Maybe I'll take a look at this safe after I do that if I don't become entirely distracted by Immortal-D's schemes.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2015, 05:14:29 pm »

That's true, actually. It's confusing keeping track of that place.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2015, 08:40:19 pm »

Huh. It's weird there being an unclaimed succession game when most of the others have extended waiting lists.

I think Taupe was probably right about needing a new thread for Icehold: something with a proper intro, turn list and quote section to get people interested.

Unfortunately I'm already maintaining Breadbowl and the recently-resurrected Bonepillar, so someone else will have to take it up.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2015, 08:45:00 pm »

I'd say get Gojira to edit the OP, but he hasn't been active since July. But what the hell, I'll grab the turn. I probably won't be able to start until tomorrow.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 03, 2015, 08:20:35 pm »

Wonderful! Welcome to Icehold: you can swap your stripey jumpsuit for proper clothes and get yourself a shiv from the fungiwood bins.

Don't mind the goblin skeletons and miasma filled staircase, try not to trip over the yeti bones, and for the love of Armok don't stare at the Eye Stabber. You don't want to get her excited.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 03, 2015, 09:11:29 pm »

Urkad Gleamcloister. That’s what they called me.

Back in the mountainhomes, I was a just a normal weaponsmith. A buisnessdwarf, just doing my best to make a profit. And if a competitor just so happened to find his forge destroyed in the morning, or the merchants bringing him supplies somehow never arrive, or he winds up facedown in the river, then that was just my good luck.

And like any other dwarf, I had friends. And sometimes, my friends would get a little violent. It’s a free country, it’s not my fault if somebody I know robs a caravan or kills a guardsman.

But apparently, some of the higher-ups in the capital disagreed with my philosophy, and after one too many “complimentary demonstrations” of my product, they shipped my husband Medtob and me out here in 252 on some trumped-up charge of public drunkenness.

Everything was fine for a while, even had a kid, named her Lokum. Our other daughter is still in the capital, keeping what remains of the family business from falling apart.

But then Medtob got himself killed in a weremammoth attack in 253, and Lokum got caught up in the Professsor’s “experiments.” There wasn’t a thing I could do about it either—I’ve had no look establishing any sort of power base here.

But speaking of the Professor and power bases…

He came into my room today, hollering about another experiment. Mostly sciencey stuff I didn’t quite understand, but the cut–and-dry of it is, he wants to see what happens when someone else takes over the fort, and by some kind of logic he picked me.

I don’t really care about his reasons, but being in charge suits me just fine.

I’ve got some changes to make around here.

((Do you guys care what tileset I use for screenshots? I usually play in ASCII but I've gotten complaints before that the screenshots are easier to read in a tileset))
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 02:27:41 am by DDDragoni »
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 04, 2015, 07:29:44 pm »

Nice intro Dragoni. Good luck!
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2015, 10:01:31 pm »

((Do you guys care what tileset I use for screenshots? I usually play in ASCII but I've gotten complaints before that the screenshots are easier to read in a tileset))
I don't mind. Up to you

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 05, 2015, 09:08:13 pm »

“Alright everybody, listen up!”

Urkad stood in front of the assembled scum and villainy of Icehold, her steely-eyed yet congenial gaze sweeping the crowd.

“Now then—some of you may know me. For those who don’t, suffice to say I’m just a legitimate buisnessdwarf trying to make a living. But enough about me, I’ve got a few… suggestions about how this frozen hellhole should be handled. You don’t have to listen to them, but if you don’t, my friend here might get unhappy.” She gestured to her right, where Albel Wheelspure stood.

Ablel, only recently having passed the threshold of adulthood, wasn’t the most imposing dwarf—but the newly forged silver mace he held certainly was. He hadn’t been Urvad’s first choice, but the young dwarf was one of the very few in Icehold that she could trust not to stab her in the back.

The assembled dwarves murmured slightly, then shrugged at one another. Most of them had worked with this kind of boss before Icehold, and besides, what was one more egocentric, criminally insane Overseer?

“Now, this fort is in a sorry state. We’ve got goblins above, a forgotten beast below, and nothing’s been getting done because everyone’s too busy throwing out garbage. Well that changes today.

“I suggest anything valuable taken be taken off the roof. Leave the rest there. You-” she pointed at a dwarf holding a crossbow, who unbeknownst to her was Neblime Fishportals, former poacher, “should up there and see if you can take out a couple of the greenskins. They need to learn some respect.”

“My quarters aren’t exactly up to snuff either. I’d like them expanded and engraved.

“And somebody get those dogs out of the well. Their yappin’s driving me nuts.”

These goblins may be a bigger problem than I anticipated. The second a weaver stepped outside, they filled him full ‘a holes.

He wasn’t the only one who got hit, either. The Professor, the Poisoner, and that one guy won’t shut up about Vesh took a couple bolts each, but nothing serious.

The poacher went out to give ‘em what for, and they shot him right in the tongue.

At that point, I think the cheeky little bastards were just showing off. I swear I could hear ‘em laughin’ from my room.

I heard a group of dwarves cracking jokes about me in the dining hall today. The most vocal ones were a miner and a mason. It might be time to arrange a couple of accidents…

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some dwarves say respect is a hard thing to come by. Those dwarves are stupid. All it takes to get some respect is a misplaced minecart or a weakened floor above the magma sea.

The Poacher’s earning some respect of his own. He went topside again and put a bolt straight through the head of the goblin that took out his tongue. After that he unloaded his crossbow into another goblin until it stopped twitching, then he came back down for a drink.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“So tell me, what are the two biggest threats to our little community?”

Urkad had gathered several of Icehold’s most influential dwarves for this meeting. Sitting at tables in the back of the dining hall were Honeymoon, Quasar, Deus, Neblime, Black Pat, and Mistem. Ablel was, as always, standing at Urkad’s shoulder.

Honeymoon was the first to speak. “Besides each other? The goblins outside and that giant worm down below.”

Urkad smiled. “Right on the money, Queen Bee.”

“It’s not a threat, it’s a specimen!” Quasar cut in.

“Call it whatever you want, Professor, the point is, it’s a problem to us. And so are the goblins. Now, I may be just a buisnessdwarf, but If I’ve learned one thing from life, it’s that if you have multiple problems, sometimes they’ll solve each other.”

“So what you’re saying is,” said Deus, “We set the forgotten beast on the goblins?”

Urkad smiled at the guard captain.

“A chance to see the beast on the prowl, at no risk to us—how could I pass up an experiment like that?” Quasar said.

Neblime tried to raise an objection—the risk was actually quite high—but it proved to be rather difficult without a tongue.

“Then it’s settled.” Urkad stood up. “Someone tell the miners—we’re gonna need a lot of digging done."

Summer has Arrived.

I think I may have set the record for fastest dwarf loss in a succession fort- the weaver bit it approximately 2 seconds after I unpaused.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 02:27:58 am by DDDragoni »
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 05, 2015, 10:00:17 pm »

He came into my room today, hollering about another experiment. Mostly sciencey stuff I didn’t quite understand, but the cut–and-dry of it is, he wants to see what happens when someone else takes over the fort, and by some kind of logic he picked me.

Experiment 10: Study of the effect of Absolute Power on the dwarven psyche.
 A well-known Elven proverb claims that "Power corrupts. Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely." However, the criminal simpletons of Icehold are undoubtedly corrupt already, so the effects of absolute power on them are unknown and may be interesting to observe.
Test Subject: Dwarven female, adult, self-identifies as "Urvad Gleamcloister (public drunkenness)".
Test Duration: 1 (one) Dwarven year.
Procedure: Subject will be made to believe she wields the power of overseer. To ensure the fidelity of the test, all other minons must defer to the subject on all matters pertaining to the overseership of the fortress.
Hypothesis: Subject will exhibit either an increase in general psychological corruption, likely manifesting as one of the many forms of power madness, or subject's mental corruption will be reversed by prolonged exposure to absolute power and they will exhibit uncharacteristic kindness and empathy.
Results: T.B.A.

“So what you’re saying is,” said Deus, “We set the forgotten beast on the goblins?”

Urkad smiled at the guard captain.

“A chance to see the beast on the prowl, at no risk to us—how could I pass up an experiment like that?” Quasar said.

Experiment 8c: Observational Study of Forgotten Beast hunting behavior.
Test Subject: 1x goblin siege, consisting of multiple subjects (expendable), varying age and gender.
Procedure: "Kor the Deep Holes" will be provided a path to the surface, where the siege currently makes camp. Visual analysis of the effects of syndrome exposure will be vital during this period.
Hypothesis: The creature will engage in hunting behaviour, to the general detriment of the test subjects.
Results: T.B.A.

OOC: One season in and already 3 dwarves are dead, 3 former overseers are injured (one of whom is now permanently mute), and plans are brewing to weaponise a forgotten beast.

I approve!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:05:51 pm by QuQuasar »

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 05, 2015, 10:25:02 pm »

Excellent! Icehold is a place for testing the limits. That was a very nice write up too. I like it when new overseers go out of their way to incorporate characters from previous turns.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 05, 2015, 10:49:44 pm »

Oh, that reminds me. I never actually got to use this!

This is a device to heat up a test subject slowly without killing it by exposing it to magma directly.

What's supposed to happen is this:

* the two outermost squares on the lower level (the ramps) are filled with 7 units of magma each, blocked by the raising bridges beside them.
* the Test Subject is stationed on top of the single-tile raising bridge in the middle, locked in with a forbidden door.
* the lower-level bridges are released, and magma floods into the central chamber. Since there is only 14 units of it, it covers every tile with exactly 1 unit.
* The central bridge is lowered, dropping the test subject one z-level. The magma surrounding the central tile, being only 1 unit deep, doesn't move.
* the test subject then gradually heats up from exposure to the surrounding 9 tiles of 1-deep magma.

I had hoped to burn off some of the test subject's fat without actually killing it, but I have no idea if it would have actually worked or if temperature dissipation even works that way in DF.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 05, 2015, 10:59:29 pm »

By that design, the subject would be standing in 1/7 magma, yes? I believe that would be fatal. That's actually how the mason from my "accidents" died- after the minecart hit him, he stumbled into the 1/7 magma that it spilled and burned to death.

Oh, and I got the Place finished and sealed, with Onul and the kids inside. Ironically enough Quasar almost got sealed in too but I was able to get him out in time.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 05, 2015, 11:32:36 pm »

By that design, the subject would be standing in 1/7 magma, yes? I believe that would be fatal.

Actually no. The raising bridge is supposed to act as a wall, keeping the magma out of the center tile while all the other tiles fill with 1 unit of magma. Then it is lowered, and the child standing on top of it falls onto the empty tile.

Oh, and I got the Place finished and sealed, with Onul and the kids inside.

Oh excellent! Get her to make a few pots and take up growing and brewing, and the Place should be indefinitely sustainable.

Ironically enough Quasar almost got sealed in too but I was able to get him out in time.

Heh, it's not the first time either. Quasar was very nearly sealed into the flooded corridor and drowned when the flooding incident happened.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 06, 2015, 01:24:01 am »

I think Quasar has a death wish/ a thing for Onul.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20