Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: Ice Station WereZebra  (Read 53534 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Station WereZebra
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 01:30:25 pm »

Alrighty then. I'm working on some updates for Whisperwhip right now and I have something planed with friends after, but I'll try to grab this thing tonight. Should be cleared by like, thursday.

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 02:27:14 pm »

All good - it's in your worthy hands. Good luck with the mess I left *hides*
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 04:31:47 pm »

Not gonna start the turn proper now, but the save seems to work. I've tweaked the pop and migrant caps to match the OP requirements. Some questions before i begin this evening:
1-Which texture pack were you using?
2-Is the no caravan thing still rolling? I take it that I should avoid building a depot?

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 05:52:58 pm »

I was in Ironhand, I believe. On Caravans, I went and robbed the first one in a towering panic while I tried to keep Zaneg alive, so I figure "desperate outlaws in a waste" rules - do as you think best and have fun with it.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 06:18:18 pm »

I was in Ironhand, I believe. On Caravans, I went and robbed the first one in a towering panic while I tried to keep Zaneg alive, so I figure "desperate outlaws in a waste" rules - do as you think best and have fun with it.
So a weremammoth army is a yes, right?

Sidenote, things are not as awesome and simple as I wished they would be. I've played a month so far and depending on a lever push we may or may not be all mega-boned. This is Doomforests all over again.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:26:24 pm by Taupe »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 06:40:45 pm »

This seems interesting. Sign me up for a turn, please.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 08:27:28 pm »

This is Doomforests all over again.

It was towards the end of Doomforests second year when things really went south, so technically this has turned out even worse if you're already scrambling for levers.

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 09:28:11 pm »

John Carpenter's "The Fort" - also Deus, you're on the list.

Levers. Levers are always a bad thing.
Edit - Having just read Taupe's first bits of the saga: This fort is already exceeding expectations *awed, slow clap* (I doubt the "neighbors" are bringing cookies as a welcome, sadly)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:40:56 pm by Gojira1000 »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 12:55:16 am »

A honeymoon with death, part 1 -- Spring

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My name is Honeymoon, or at least that's what they started calling me a few years ago. For 5 years, I'd been running the greatest honey cartel in the history of dwarfkind. Also most likely the only one. My official profession as a wax-worker was merely a front, meant to disguise my illicit activities. Bee kidnapping, honey extortion, destruction of rival flower fields, and setting fire to disrespectful or cocky bee-keepers' boxes, nothing was out of our league. those who opposed us soon found themselves wearing a pair of wax sleepers. then we bludgeoned them to death because wax doesn't actually sink.

But like with any criminal operation, someone had to open their big fat mouth. When we stole too much royal syrup, the king put a bounty, and that damn Urist spilled the beans. Now I've been sent to this hellhole, as my punishment. execution, rather. everyone assumes I'l be dead within the month. I've heard the stories about this place. Icehold is a terrible place, forsaken by caravans and nature alike. Everyone expect me to die here.

I will prove them wrong.

I have no family or relatives here. Everyone i knew is back at home, either denying anything or suffering some time of their own. Maybe I'll see some of my cousins in a few season. Hopefully I won't. This place is a frozen turd. Thankfully, my years managing a criminal organisation, no matter how underwhelming it,s goods may have been, have given me some good social skills, and within a few months of being here, I've made quite a few friends. And I'm not talking about my pet boar, regardless of how awesome Mafol is.

I've been here since the end of last autumn. My charisma and ability to manage crap has not gone unnoticed, so one morning, the expedition leader comes to me with a proposition i cannot refuse. (i mean, hey, it's not like I can rely on my waxworking skills as a job in this place anyway).

''It's very simple, missy. I need someone here who can sort shit out. count items, keep books, deal with work orders. Most of the boys are useless bums and psychotic murderers, so you're the best thing i have that resembles a clerk.''

I'm not one to refuse, especially if the alternative is working as a fucking hauler. I immediately claim a meager corner of the dinning hall as my office. It will have to do, for at least this season. Now, I gotta keep tabs of what's in this shitfest we now call a home, so let's take a look around, shall we.

Welcome to Icehold, your home, your grave.

The place is a mess, but at least it's a simple one. There are 4 areas of interest, each separated by about a week's worth of staircase. At the bottom of the earth lies a small magma forge. I'm told we have an adamantine vein lying somewhere, but that somewhere is a magma sea full of death crabs and fiery doom, so we'll leave it alone for now. hey, I've heard the stories, those stories about nasty things happening to fortresses who grab too much of the stuff. I don,t know the details, but an awful lot of settlements in dwarven folklore disappeared after anouncing they found adamantine and started mining it.

About twelve kilometers above the forge, we find a walled in section of underground cavern. It links to a small section of river. Both blessfully and sadly, the area has been efficiently walled i off. this means we cannot get anything from the river, but nothing from the river can get to us. some crazy dude with a crutch has been screaming about crocodiles lately, so i assume it's something i don't want to see much of. We have a small farm, some plump helmets growing around, and a small wood stockpiles, from what I assumed must have been trees. there lie two beds, for some reason.

Before reaching the surface, one can find the general center of this ''fortress''. the main area consists of some stockpiles, a workshop or two, some dorms/hospital lacking any medicinal supplies, and a dinning room. We have no food, and a dude is sleeping on the floor next to the beds, which says a lot about the local carpenter's skill. There seems to be some general designations for stockpiles, as if someone naively assumed we'd get much of anything to store here before dying.

A few levels under the dining hall/storage lies a set of rooms which are being excavated. We have maybe ten of them for now, all of them cell-sided and terrible. No doubt, Black Pat inspired himself from the prison cells he spent much time in in the days, but somehow I'm not sure this is good for confort or morale. I tell the miners what I think of them, and quickly become their new best friend.

''So, guys, we have all the space in the world and there's 16 of us, how about we build ourselves the greatest bedrooms ever instead of reliving our soap-dropping days in the national jail?''

They drop their picks, and cancel their workplans. ''What do you have in mind?''
-Well, before I can designate anything efficient, i need an office that isn't full of barking dogs and death-starved donkey corpses. Let's start by making something that resembles an administrator section
-The area between the current dorm and the dinning hall would be good, and it contains some nice gem clusters
-Marvelous. You guys are wonderful.''

The last, or rather first section for anyone who arrives at Icehold, is the main and only entrance. Simple, yet stylish, it was carved from pure solid ice to protect against strange creatures living on the glacier. A drawbridge that's not large enough for any caravan leads to a small plateau hosting a trade depot and some basic workshops. Obviously they would be more suited closer to out stockpiles, but I guess they were built here in a rush when the first prisoners started carving this crapfest. There is also a small barrack, which is basically a closet made of snow filled with a weapon rack, in which the crazy crutch-guy trains with sometimes one or two other dudes.

What a great place to administer. The good news about shitty places, is that there's a lot you can do to make the place (and yourself) look way cooler.

First, I need to be able to move around this place quickly. I start by designating 4 main sections for a better management of this place.

HOTKEYS:
F1: The surface entrance
F2: The main stockpiles
F3: The underground farms
F4: The magma forges

There isn't much I can do with the forges for now, because we don't have metal. yet. The forge is set to smelt tetrahedrite, but i notice we found some hematite veins while digging the shitty bedrooms. I order that smelted in priority, and also a bunch of galena. Soon enough we'll have iron, silver, copper and lead to play with.

My future office has been excavated, but it lacks anything, including not being full of sharp dangerous rock boulders, and a door. Someone claims to be a decent engraver and terrible at everything else, so I put him and his friend on smoothing duty. Engrave some important parts of this shitnugget, guys, maybe it,ll motivate me to designate it in a less unfavorable fashion.

Next up is figuring out what the fuck we are supposed to eat. black Pat suggests that we rob nearby caravans for our main food income, but somehow I doubt this will work in the long run. Farming is good, but we have little workers, the farms are very deep underground and thus far away, and there's no safe way to fish without getting a crocodile invasion for the time being. Harvesting plants and trees is also very, very out of the question.

i spend some time keeping books and discover our exact count. 140 meat, 40 fishes, 45 drinks and a hundred of plants and others both. I dont put too much faith in those last two, as they mostly include leaves and strange things. What we need is a massive amount of food, something that is both easy to get and provide a lot of...

that being said, the miners did do what I asked of them, and neglecting to fullfill my part of the bargain would diminish my street cred in Icehold. As a reward, I spend some time designating some nice rooms. There are few of us and the entire glacier is ours, so nothing is too good. The miners ready their picks and begin work. This operation has an ulterior motive; I know for a fact that this diorite stone formation is rich in hematite, and hopefully digging out those rooms will simultaneously provide us with some of the ore.

Within the day, i am proven right. the miners locate some hematite formation.

Previously, they had been excavating some tetrahedrite ore down in the bottom of this place, but i think we can all agree that digging out bedrooms and getting hematite is a more rewarding endeavour.

At this moment another donkey dies. I order a butcher shop placed on the surface, but by the time it is done, the creature is long rotten. We only have dogs, and my precious pig Mafol, and by Armok are we not eating him. Dogs are tasty, but I'd rather let them breed a bit before eating some of them. Thankfuly, the ramblings of the militia tell me that there is another thing we can eat...

For reasons I absolutely cannot explain, our militia commander is outside the fort, fighting a fucking yeti. The drawbridge is raised, and has been for at least a season. Why is he there? Have he been outside this whole time, and if so, ihow did he survive the cold and the hunger? I guess he's thinking the same thing as I.

We are going to eat the fuck out of this yeti.

Pull that lever and go help him. There is meat on the menu, and it,s not an unpastured rotting donkey! we'll need to get the fucking commander inside anyway, so there's that.

the soldiers, the whole three of them, grab their weapons and go assist the commander. Soon enough, a yeti corpse is being hauled toward the butcher shop. Yummy! Yetis will provide us with large chunks of meat. there are many of them, and few of us. It should be sufficient.

My real concern is to get barrels, in order to store the food. We have a limited supply of wood, which we'll need for beds. Thankfully, copper makes an affordable material wich can be smelted into containers. Glass and pottery would be ideal materials, were it not for our absolute lack of bags to store the raw goods in. Yes, copper is heavy, but it's better than letting our food rot.

While picking up some leftover items on the glacier, the dwarves meet another yeti, whom the militia quickly dispatch. More meat.

One of them claims to be a sworddwarf, despite clearly wielding a spear. ''They call me stabbin' Rovod. as long as it can stab some stuff, I'll wield it alright.''

I'm not sure i stand by Stabbin' rovod's logic, but I'll stand by his killing abilities. Icehold makes for strange bedfellows.

We have meet, but let's examine what else we have. Raw yeti chunks will quickly grow old, I fear, so it might be a good idea to obtain more types of food. Our drinks are low, so I'll order the cranberries to become booze. Without a good water access, keeping the booze stock high is crucial. Don't wanna have to breach the caverns and face crocodiles when we are desperate. The other leaves are not especially useful in their raw state, so I order a kitchen and a farmer workshop installed in the central area. I'd rather have those installed already once we need to process plants to replace yeti meat. A quern and a millstone would also be useful, but we have very little workers, so I don't think we should establish too many industries right now.

I check in on the bedrooms. Our workers have been hard at work during my first month in command, and slowly but surely we are carving out a nice set of rooms for ourselves. Maybe when this is over I'll try and set an underground tree farm, but that's something that will require a lot of planning and dwarfpower. Better wait for the rooms to be done...

Despite the hardships they faced, Asmel and rimtar managed to find love in this strange, forsaken glacier. A child is born of their unlikely union, bolstering our numbers to 18. Yesterday, we were prisoners exiled to die here. Now, for a brief moment, we are led to believe that life here can prosper...

On that same day, more prisoners make their way to Icehold. Strange and useless convicts, most of them, but I'll find a use for anyone here, because we cannot spare any help. They can reside in the small ugly rooms while we carve more bedrooms. Ha, just kidding, everyone is sleeping in the hospital because we actually don't have beds.

I count eleven of twelve of them. I greet most of them, and introduce myself as Honeymoon, chief overseer of this terrible place. Then I ask each of them what they can do to help this fortress not die. Geshud and lolor, I give to the commander because they seem dumb and somewhat well-built. And also overall useless. One of them claims to be a good metalcrafter, which I'll need for our copper works. Another is a decent tanner, so I tell him it's all he'll do, to avoid wasting yeti hides. They will provide us with warmth, and most likely they'll be our only source of clothing for the years to come. I tell another one he'll be exclusively doing butcher work. I want every carcass chopped and tanned the instant it hits the icy ground.

Another claims to be a gelder, which is counterproductive, but also knows his way around the kitchen, which is nice. one is a creepy 10 years old, which is saying a lot about the king,s sence of justice. Finally, the rest will be miners and engravers, or work on some hauling until I can find a good use for them.

Because we don't have any metal or barrels yet, most of those jobs are pointless. As such, I order a miner to excavate part of the old bedrooms to get hematite, and convert the place into a stone stockpile. Our old one seems poorly designated somehow. Quickly, our ten idlers leave the dinning hall and begin rolling boulders out of the way.

While they are at it, they'll also get a new set of bedrooms. As with the others, they are merely eye-candy so long as we don't have any beds, but once more I'm using this occasion to unearth hematite and gems. The place seems surprisingly rich with mineral clusters; once smoothed and engraved those rooms will be spectacular. I could even let people choose one based on their preferences, which could reduce suicidal tendencies in time.

I'd like to open the caverns for a moment and acquire more wood, but a dangerous helmet snake is guarding the area. I can hear him hissing through the constructed wall, predatory and stuff. Snakes are poisonous and dangerous, so I'll wait for it to leave instead of picking up a fight.

Anyway, the army is busy right now! I'm told every soldier is mobilizing on the main plateau. Yes, all four of them who are not sleeping!

Our foe today is a polar bear, which could easily maul and destroy poorly-equipped and ill-trained soldiers such as ours. Too bad, people, I need this thing dead, chopped and cook by 5pm, because we now have 12 newcomers and a fucking baby to feed.

The new recruits lack classical army drilling, but they make up for it by being old school murderous thugs. I tell the butcher that he isn't even allowed to haul stuff, as he needs to butcher things as fast as possible. ''Can i still do some shearing on the side?'' he asks, naively. Why sure, you can shear all those absurd amounts of sheeps we have if you please.

More meat is good, but the drinks are dangerously low. I order 2 barrels just in case, and then a few drinks with what we can salvage from the stockpile.

Aaaaaaaand that's when everything goes to shit. People just killed the polar bear, and we're having it dragged to the butcher stand, when something incredibly fucking terrifying manifests nearby. It's a gigantic mammoth-like creature, except it stands on two feet and seems utterly bend on murder and bloodshed. What's more, it's not on the horizon, but just outside of our walls. Somehow this tremendous creature is trained in the art of stealth.

It is also very, very fast.

No, seriously, it truly is very, very fast. I ask the bridge to be raised, but it is too late. within an instant, this juggernaut of death and carnage has reached our entrance, and it starts attacking people.

In a legendary feat of courage, one of the inmates, punches the mammoth, then runs away from the fortress with the beast in toe. He's dragging it away. Quick, raise the bridge!

the militia captain begins to attack the creature, but saying he's not doing jack shit to it would be an understatement. People try to join the fight, but here's a thing about ice. It is very, very slippery.

Anyway, the ranger is fleeing with the beast giving chase. The militia captain tried to go ham on it to no avail, and that guy with the crutch is now suspended above the precipice using said crutch, because he slipped off the bridge. Like, he is 10 feet above the ground, suspended to a rough ice wall by a replacement leg. You can,t make that shit up.

Avuz the ranger falls quickly to the onslaught of the monster. Rimtar the commander is ready to give the beast a lesson.

Or not.

I point a random guy and tell him he's the militia commander now.

More importantly, I tell everyone to forget hauling and deconstruction and dumping and what the hell, in favor of activating the fucking lever. If we don't, we'll die. People tell me they have already used the lever, to no avail. Obviously they aren't trying hard enough, because the bridge is still there. All work orders are also cancelled, as well as smoothing.

Activate. The lever.

Rimtar is dead, and the beast decides to return to our base. Nobody is pulling the lever. The weremammoth advances toward Icehold.

As stated before, it is very, very fast.

Lolur arrived two days ago, and so far someone vaguely mentionned where the barracks was. That's enough training as far as I'm concerned. I kick the guy out and he slides across the bridge, absolutely willingly intercepting the weremammoth.

NOW ACTIVATE THE FUCKING LEVER OH MY FUCKING GOD.

Lolur wasn't lying when he said he had experience with an axe. i don't mind if his training dummy consisted of the baron's entourage, it's working nicely on the mammoth monster. Eventually, tho, Lolur loses momentum and the beast fucks him up good. I don't want to go into details, but at the end I'm pretty sure the weremammoth threw Lolur's own toe at him. The beast is maimed, which hopefully will prevent it from advancing further.

However, it is still very, very fast.

Hey, Stabbin' rovod, how about you go and uh, I dunno, stab this thing a bit? It looks like you could tooootally finish it up.

As soon as he's out of earshot I point at five of the new migrants, and announce that they are the militia now.

Stabbin' Rovod charges at the monster, but we soon find out why he isn't nicknamed Don't-Slide-Down-Holes Rovod.

Rovod finally makes it out of the hole, punches the beast, gets thrown down into the fucking pit three times, then finally lands a few blows before being killed, heroically (and quite foolishly) trying to wrestle a weremammoth. Miraculously, as soon as it kills Stabbin' Rovod, the beast reverts to a human person. A stunned, incredibly injured human person who is unconscious with both its legs broken. I dispatch the new military. It doesn't matter how absurdly incompetent they are, there are five of them, they can kill an unconscious bloodied peasant.

Against all common sence, the human thing regains consciousness, and begins to flee, creating a burlesque pursuit where 5 dwarves are slidding across a glacier trying to catch up and corner a battled down unarmed goon who'se both legs are shattered in many places. And they are losing.

The human is very, very fast.

Eventually, he collapses from exaushtion, and our raving lunatics unceremoniously bash his head against the solid ice until nothing but a gross pulp remains.

We now have a lot of corpses. Also, the bridge controls have apparently exploded when someone activated the lever with the weremammoth atop the whole thing. Flipping the lever does nothing, and also nobody wants to flip the lever most of the time. We don't have a mechanic. Correction, we don't have a living mechanic. At least everyone who braved the weremonster is absolutely dead, so we don't have to worry about infections.

While retrieving some of the corpses and weapons, the soldiers mus engage another yeti. Stakud gets his toe smashed, then promptly becomes a football player, throwing himself at the ground and claiming to be totally paralyzed.

We tell him to get some rest if that's what he really wants, but he fakes a coma two meters away from the bed, pretending to be permanently disabled. Someone doesn't like being in the military, it seems.

It is time for everyone to resume production. Some booze is brewed and meat slowly fills the stockpile. There is nothing more i dare ask, as everyone is currently busy gathring and storing things after the mess.

More yetis try to explore the place, but every soldier who isn't Stakud throw stuff at him until he ''leaves''. I designate some dogs for war training, just in case the yetis keep bothering us.

We also need to solve this stupid bridge problem. a yeti just walked right into the fortress. Buggers, all of them. At least he's very close to the butcher shop now...

I'm not really sure who's in charge of what anymore. The guys i drafted into the army, I have no idea what their jobs were. People are just hauling stuff around and mining and cooking stuff, and I have nothing to say about it. One particular guy seems incredibly weird, and he doesn't respond to anything I say...

He makes his way toward the craftdwarf workshop, and starts gathering crap. Hey, why are you there? We have no need for crafts! go make some food, or help with the smelting if you truly want to be useful!

His eyes are livid. he won't answer, or ackowledge that I'm here. He's just working, without even looking at what he's doing, his eyes empty and staring at the end of the room.

Fine, whatever. He creeps me out. I decide to simply go and do something else. It seems that one of the rooms is ready, and fully smoothed. Maybe I'll claim it as my own, but that would be a poor thing to do. If i want to be the most beloved person here, i need to pretend like I don't wanna be. Instead I order a bed moved in there, and tell Black Pat that his bedroom is now operational. He is, after all, the original expedition leader. I'll just take the next bedroom, once we locate more beds.

As I revisit the crafting dwarf, I notice that he's finishing a bed, made of cave crocodile bone. The first real enemy of Icehold is now a piece of furniture. The creator of this artefact-quality bed has no recollection of what just happened. Obviosuly, this was one of those so-called ''strange moods''. ''Thanks for making my bed.
-Your bed?
-Yes, I asked if you could use something other than wood to make more beds, and you just... started making me this.
-How... how do you know this is yours? Maybe I want this bed. I made it.
-Don't be silly. It has a picture of a very famous book on it. Do you know anything about books?
-...No.
-Can you read?
-...No.
-Well, i can. I'm the bookkeeper. Obviously the bed with a book on it is mine, do you not think?
-I guess... that does make a lot of sence, miss Honeymoon.
-Good now carry that shit to my bedroom.''

I'm not the only one who needs a place to rest. What we dare call a graveyard is low on coffins, so I tell masons to make a few more, so we can stuff our dead somewhere. Doesn't take too long, as stone is one of the rare things we don't lack.

With my bedroom complete and our dead buried, I turn my attention to the food supply. If it goes too low, we'll need a lot more coffins than we need beds. Thankfully, meat keeps us afloat, and our  brewable plants have been turned to booze. the weremammoth attack somewhat lessened our booze consumption, albeit in a very rash manner. Spring is now over, not that you could really tell, and I'm confident that those current supplies should carry us through summer at least.

It's been a strange and eventful season, however, so I'm not sure I'm really eager to spend more time here in Icehold...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:21:42 am by Taupe »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 03:15:35 am »

Nice update! Werecreatures seem to attack like clockwork early in the second year, or so I've noticed.

When you kept recruiting newer and newer cannon fodder, somehow keeping the weremammoth outside the gates, I was reminded of some sort of melodramatic war film - the last stand as the Germans take the line or something. A good story is never complete without some gratuitous violence and mortality, eh?

I also like the idea of illicit honey smugglers - learning the tunnels and roads, ins and outs to the Mountainhome. Stealing honey from the humans, running it past elven checkpoints guarded by hungry blackbears, delivering it to the highest bidder - quite the life.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 03:42:29 am »

A honeymoon with death, part 2 -- Summer

Summer begins with a new round of inmates showing up on our doorstep, like clockwork. A baby is also born to a lucky and improbable couple, bringing our numbers to 31. slowly but surely, the engravers are smoothing some of the fancy rooms. The migrants can stay in the barracks, while I slowly move the older members of the community to the cool rooms. The more ancient and important a dwarf is, the more gem clusters he gets in his room.

On the side, I've ordered a new batch of mechanisms, and a fresh lever to be built. we'll need this bridge operational sooner or later. Drinks are also going down like crazy, so our plump helmets are being turned into booze. We have a second smelter, just in case we need a lot of metal bars fast, and I'm keeping our metalcrafter busy with some copper pots orders. they are somewhat heavy, but they'll do the trick better than our absolute lack of trees.

Speaking of trees, I'd like to get more, but we can hear some terrifying noises from the other side of the wall. A crocodile, no doubt. I may like my artefact bone bed very much, but I am not in a hurry of meeting such a creature right now. Trees will have to wait. I keep a few logs around in case someone else gets a strange mood, and order the rest turned into beds.

Speaking of strange moods, the metalcrafter is not coming up with new copper pots this week. Investigating the problem reveals that he's locked himself in the forges, working on a secret project. As before, his vision is blurred and he respond to nothing but the dampening call of the forge, slowly weaving bands of silver into a crown whom he later calls The Enchanters of Fastening, a strange and creepy title. Once the artefact is complete, a somewhat smooth if boring piece of art, the metalcrafter remembers nothing of his experience, and learned nothing from it. ''Back to pots'', I order, ''people are starting to get sober here!''

My main concern right now is storing all this stone we have. Ideally we could use a second layer of protection around the base, maybe an outer wall around the precipice or something. Before we can make blocks out of it, however, we'll need to store these boulders somewhere. The central stockpile is mostly full, so I order the area around the old sucky rooms expanded, revealing hematite and some spare room for boulders. The finished goods stockpile is also full, so people aren't grabbing the clothes from the deceased, which is a waste. Just put everything in one of my offices, and we'll sort things out once we start making a few copper bins.

The summer goes by rather fast, with a surprisingly high amount of migrants being trained in stone detailing. Those who aren't hauling stones and emptying the future rooms are smoothing them. Then just as autumn is about to peak it,s nose (according to the calendar, definitely not from the weather itself), something dreadful happens.

No, I'm not talking about the yeti currently roaming the barracks, altho seriously guys try to be more attentive to outside threats maybe. We seriously need to wire the bridge to this new lever now that its complete, and so are the new mechanisms.

No, what I'm talking about is much worse.

The undead, animated corpse of a human is spotted on the glacier, waltzing about, aimless at first. It seems to be alone, initially...

Then after it come a duo of dwarven necromancer, lurking on the edge of the fortress and approaching the fortress in a sneaky fashion. We'll need everyone back inside as soon as poss...

OH NOW YOU DECIDE TO PULL THIS FUCKING LEVER?!?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 02:51:17 pm »

A honeymoon with death, part 3 -- Autumn

Most of the soldiers are trapped outside, alongside a group of undead. The new lever is designated for another pull, and I make sure to record its intended use with the ''N''otes.

Surprisingly, the necromancers do not stay long, and soon enough they vanish... Were they simply passing by, or did they come to scout our defences? Not long after they depart, another yeti sprints by, and the guys just go after him for more steak. Which is a bit of a waste, since we can't get the carcass inside as of yet. Not until someone activate the fucking lever. The soldiers just give up and fall asleep on the glacier, waiting for the problem to solve itself. More yetis, more fights, everyone agrees that the white beasts are not as terrifying as their size would imply. More often than not, they simply try to run away, obviously scared of us. I think we are the bad guys in this story. Which, I suppose, makes sence considering our reason for being here...

The drawbridge is finally raised, and everyone rushes outside to grab some meat and clothes. At this point, both my future offices have been converted to stockpiles for finished goods and clothing. Making barrels out of copper is acceptable, because the alternative is not having booze. The weight, however, means that either rock or metal bins are counter-productive. It's just simpler in the long run to dig large stockpiles, rather than have everyone spend a year carrying a metal crate whenever we need to store a pair of trousers.

A month goes on without too much issue. People are still hauling boulders and digging rooms, or smoothing them. A rare few are trying to set up a metalsmithing business. We've ran out of copper, so I asked for more tetrahedrite to be mined, foolishly disregarding the real problem: we aren't smelting it as fast as we are producing it. Good news is, we have two dozen iron bars now. Running out of copper means I've ordered a few rock pots as well, even if they kinda suck in terms of weight. Gotta keep those drinks flowing.

Thankfully, a few merchants have pity on us and drop by, eager to trade our hard-earned riches for basic substenance. Black Pat trades musical instrument, metal cages and precious gems for barely enough fruits to keep going. Our drink stockpile hovers around 20 at all time since the new migrants moved in, and this is very dangerous when you consider we don't have water. The merchants seem pretty happy with the trade. no shit, they traded a bunch of gems as big as my fist for an unpacked handful of cranberries we'll have to brew ourselves. I ask that we get a few logs in as well, because our current supplies are really low and we aren't getting more of it soon, not with crocodiles. someone spotted a swarm of fire imps down in the magma lake as well, so I hope whoemever designed the forge made a good job...

A few migrants brought pets with them, and now most of the grazers have died horribly, a slow and starving fate. It's no matter. I feel the hammerer from the capital made sur to send the most sickly and ill animals he could find, to get rid of them alongside us.It's unlikely they'd waste quality animals on the lot of us.

The traders also try to discuss politics with our expedition leader. Black Pat simply laughs at them. ''Do you really believe I care about who's running what, after you sent me here with no chance of going back?'' With that awkward discussion, the merchants jump back on their donkey and depart, wishing us luck in surviving the winter. Fool, every season here is winter. Quick, someone brew me an mug of cranberry wine, I need to forget about being here...

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 03:58:54 pm »

A honeymoon with death, part 4 -- Winter

I'm sick of plump helmet. I'm sick of cranberry wine. I'm sick of uncooked yeti meat. At this point, it is safe to say that everyone here is. Bring this carcass inside, and lock the door. Now that the merchants are gone, I doubt we'll need to grab more yetis anytime soon. Our food stockpile is basically a bunch of yeti limbs sticking out of a pile of barrels.

I ask a bunch of copper bins, but the production is too slow to accomodate. We'll have to retrofit some of the stockpiles Black Pat designed into something else. Spoiler alert, I doubt we'll need a full section of the base dedicated to caged animals. The only animals we have are yeti, and they can only be butchered, not tamed. that being said, we have a bit of leather lying around, so I place a work order for some leather suits. Then I point at a peasant and announces that he is now a designated leatherworker. then I tell him to build a leather workshop from scratch and start churning out leggings.

While an unlucky fellow complains that he's good at killing things and not stich them back together, I choose to ignroe him and focus on my beautiful bedrooms. Most of the older members of the ffort (And obviously myself) have been hosted, but they lack doors. I order a few rock doors, and more beds, using the supply we got from the traders. And some barrels while I'm at it. If we make furnitures we can't make pots, and if we don't make rock pots I'll grow sober and die from depression. No matter how awesome my gem cluster bedroom can be, it will never be nough to hide the fact that i now live in a cold, desertic outpost carved out of ice, surrounded by yetis, werebeasts and undeads, with nothing to eat but the same old pieces of meat.

you can tell I'm not the only one going nuts here. Another child is apparently possessed, grabbing random items from the piles and working on something of his own. a bracelet, a fucking shitty bracelet. The kid learned nothing from crafting at all. I'm not sure how I feel about being in a jail colony with creepy murderous children regularly taken over by malevolent spirits. This is the third possession this year. Couple that with necromancers and a weremammoth, and it becomes obvious that this place is haunted. I decide to spend the rest of the week lying in my awesome artefact bed. I love you, crocodile bone bed!

For a brief moment, I envision the plans for a new cooler dinning hall. Then i realize everyone is too busy hauling rocks to work on it, so I give up. I'll leave the plans lying around, if someone wants to use it later. just put two horizontal rows of tables, surrounded by chairs on top and bottom, and we can fit the entire colony in there. I'm just sick of sharing my office with dogs and children.

Oh, you think I'm kidding when I mention stone hauling? Look at this. Look at what we have, and look at how much is still lying around unhauled. I've set a mason workshop nearby, as well as a jeweler, if we want to grab some fruits next year. The caravans come once a year in autumn, and they usually carry very little, since it's essentially two dudes on a donkey with no wagons. The good news is that by expabnding the stockpiles, we've discovered many gems, as well as hematite and bitumous coal. Black Pat is right, even without that adamantine vein we may be the richest prisoners in the known multiverse.

Tetrahedrite is also on the menu. Here's to more ore, and a bit of additional storing capacity...

I'm ordering a bunch of furniture, both to make the bedrooms feel less empty, and to put some of that stone to use.

On the following week, something actually important and positive happens. a young girl turns 12, and is now of legal age. she organises a party in the dinning hall, and during that party someone gives birth to a child. People, you are supposed to get pregnant at parties, not deliver. Oh well.

With the combination of barrels, rock pots and copper pots, our workers are able to combine their efforts and provide us with a safe amount of drinks for the time being.

However, despite having all this meat, we seem to be curiously low on leather hides. I think i know why. I made a designated tanner and a designated butcher, but apparently one of them suffered a sever case of the monstruous mammoth, and nobody took his place. I use one of the migrants to solve the problems, strongly emphatising that he is to tan hides and nothing else (Except furniture hauling maybe)

This place keeps getting richer and richer. We've located a native platinum vein in the wall, so I've ordered the stone storage to be expanded one last time.

With that, winter is finally over, and a new year in this hellhole is ready to begin. I'm told that my room finally has some decent basic furniture, so I'll simply abandon the dinning crappy hall and work from home. If anyone needs me, I'll be here filling work orders and admiring my awesome bed, leaving the room as little as possible. My bedroom projects are mostly complete, so I feel my leadership role has overstayed its welcome. Before I give up on sightseeing this horrible place on a daily basis, let's take a look at what I've changed in this place...

The biggest change is probably this floor, now filled with storage and a bunch of bedrooms. Some of them have furniture, some of them are waiting for them to be placed, a few simply lack smoothing. beds are in the stockpile, and about 7 adult dwarves still need a place to live. Smoothing the remaining rooms should cover that, assuming the remaining dwarves are ready to spoon and create one or two couples.

More awesome rooms, mine is on the bottom right, Black Pat lives on the top left.

The surface now sports a butcher and tanner station, and the ice bridge is currently non-broken. Lever is a few levels back, where the stairs become ramps.

the main area hasn't changed much. A few less animal piles, a few more furniture space, I added a kitchen and a farmer workshop, if someone wants to get creative and improve our menu. Wood is now stored here, instead of on hell's doorstep.

Those were meant to be offices, but were quickly turned into storage. maybe someone will want to convert them back, or add a bigger industry here.

And that's my final report for this year. there are 32 of us living here, the forges are running slowly but surely, and we should have enough iron to produce a few pieces of gear should one desire. apart from that, the food stores are satisfying, especially food, if you don't enjoy variety at all, ever. Most of the workforce spent the last two seasons hauling rocks to tidy up the place, but that's mostly over, so people are now free to start a new project should anyone be up for that. The migrants from the recent waves have no real jobs, since i needed haulers anyway. Feel free to reorganise the population as you see fit.

Here is the save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10921

Sign me up for another turn. And don't fucking kill Honeymoon please.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 04:40:26 pm »

sign me up for overseer and dwarf me as the most interesting child (overseer's discretion as to what interesting means)
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 05:03:16 pm »

Well done - given the neighbors that went surprisingly well. Other than the stealth weremammoth, I mean . Neblime has been messaged and is up, Uber has been added to the conviction list, Taupe is back in the queue after an enthralling year and I even signed up for a spot because Prison Can Be Fun!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20