Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20

Author Topic: Ice Station WereZebra  (Read 54060 times)

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:22:11 pm by De »
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Station WereZebra
« Reply #196 on: October 21, 2015, 02:52:36 pm »

By the way, if anyone has any experiment idea's, feel free to suggest them.

Awesome story, and I'm caught up.  I'm thinking of Staalo's Dwarven Day Care thread. 
A cross path with upright spear, and landing of 4/7 water with willow wood floors, and each of the cross path leads to: exit/entrance, food/drink, hospital and beds, and clothes room. 

So it's danger room for kids. 

Hostile creatures, the kids will attack when military has line of sight.  So a military stationed behind fortification, will trigger the children to attack.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 21, 2015, 03:01:12 pm »

Death... this is truly horrifying.

That was ridiculously awesome on Stakud's part.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 21, 2015, 09:32:06 pm »

Dangit. I'm having trouble getting Stakud to put her armour back on. I've tried switching "partial match"/"exact match" and "over clothes"/"replace clothes", as well as removing her uniform and re-assigning it.

She checks all the "metal armour" checkboxes in the military screen, and she'll put on clothes when 'over clothes' is checked, but she won't put on anything made of metal. Any suggestions?

On the bright side, she has at least picked up her (named) bronze spear.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 21, 2015, 10:02:17 pm »

Dangit. I'm having trouble getting Stakud to put her armour back on. I've tried switching "partial match"/"exact match" and "over clothes"/"replace clothes", as well as removing her uniform and re-assigning it.

She checks all the "metal armour" checkboxes in the military screen, and she'll put on clothes when 'over clothes' is checked, but she won't put on anything made of metal. Any suggestions?

Maybe she knows she don't need any equipment.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2015, 10:32:51 pm »

Maybe shes too metal to wear metal?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2015, 10:40:01 pm »

Definitely keep her on replace clothes for a while or she most likely won't ever wear armour.
Did she have a steel allergy?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2015, 11:15:31 pm »

Definitely keep her on replace clothes for a while or she most likely won't ever wear armour.
Did she have a steel allergy?
Metallergy, the art of creating gear that people cannot wear.

Difio

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 22, 2015, 08:01:08 am »

Hey Guys,

lurker here. May I have a random unnoticeable male dwarf.

Best
Difio

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 22, 2015, 01:54:28 pm »

Could be a bug in an item item in a bin where it is tagged as claimed, but the dwarf never gets to digging it out of the bin?
Designate: Forbid item. Dump item. Remove Dump item. Reclaim item.
I also prefer to have a separate room and stockpile with the armors items I want to be worn.

Other than micro managing that way, you can try specific armor and specific weapons?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 22, 2015, 10:02:40 pm »

So it appears, in addition to being cretinous unwashed ignoramii, my minions are also rude. They opened the gates before I even arrived!

Their idiotic actions caused me to miss the battle in it's entirety. I admit to some disappointment, but on the bright side, at least I was not there to witness the utter mockery they reportedly made of my battle strategy.

3 dead, 2 injured. Stakud has reported to the hospital with minor injuries: I haven't heard of the exact cause, but I assume a lucky hit or two slipped past her armour.

Bembul, on the other hand, is in a poor state. His head wound looks serious, he has not yet regained consciousness, and his fellow criminals have pragmatically left him to die on the ice. Black Pat says she will tend to him if he is brought in before he freezes to death, to provide me time to focus on my experiment. Finally, someone with their priorities in order in Icehold!

I have told all my minions to focus on the cleanup of the courtyard. I have no other requests of them while experiment 6 continues, so seeing to it that our entrance does not look like an abattoir seems like a moderately useful...

... oh, the supply caravan is here. Forget the corpses then, we still need to get rid of that yeti bone pile. Priorities!

Experiment 6: Multi-subject study of extended submersion in water on the dwarven physique.

Report 3:
Test subject 14, "Udib Distancepaddled" (male, 10 years old, muscular), is exhibiting extreme abnormalities in behavior, speaking in an adult voice with odd echo's, as if many voices are speaking in unision.

The subject demands to be released from the test and is unresponsive to communication attempts by those around it. Indeed, psychological tests indicate the subject is incapable of a variety of higher order brain functions, of which rational communication is only one. Any behavior other than a single-minded attempt to leave the testing area is suppressed, which the other test subjects report is "extremely creepy".

Correlated or even caused by the test, or mere co-incidence? Future tests of this nature may provide evidence one way or the other, but I believe the co-incidence is the most likely explanation. None of the other subjects exhibit similar behaviors.

There is still quite a bit of time remaining in the test. Further study of subject 14's abnormal behavior will have to wait until the test concludes.

Once again, our manager Honeymoon has found herself in conflict with the local cavernlife. A Cave Crocodile this time. She has managed to knock it unconsious.

Damn it Honeymoon, what are you doing to provoke them? Do I have to instruct everyone on the subject of not poking animals with stick? Except when poking animals with stick is called for, of course. Like when the stick is made out of adamantine and the animal is trying to kill our manager.

You seem a semi-intelligent dwarf, Honeymoon, but sometimes you do make me wonder if I should force you to wear armour and carry a weapon for your own safety.

Actually...that's not a bad idea. Perhaps we should all do that.

Bembul is up and about carrying bones to the trade depot, thanks to Black Pat's medical treatment. Simpleton she may be, but I must confess to an admiration of her stitching and wrapping abilities. He has stitches all the way around his head and I can barely see his face head underneath all those bandages!

A most fetching look for him! Indeed, if I didn't already have a crippled assistant, I would be considering him for the position.

Experiment 6: Multi-subject study of extended submersion in water on the dwarven physique.

Final Report:
No further development, beyond the test subjects becoming "Skilled" at maneuvering their physical form whilst in water.

Bembul, apparently trying to compete with Igor for the position of research assistant, pulled the lever to drain the test chamber.

Test subject 14 was the first to leave. Surprisingly, all the other test subjects remained in the test chamber, sleeping and drinking the water.

Perhaps I should have paid more attention to the psychological effects of the test while it was in progress. I am at a loss to explain this behaviour.

Test subject 14 raced down to the level above the magma forges, and claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop without even attempting to feed or water itself.

I must conclude there is some pathogen, perhaps stemming from the glacial ice, in this place that drives dwarves insane. Luckily I check my sanity levels every day, and thus can verify my immunity.

Another beast has arrived to challenge the others. A gigantic blob of snow.

It faces off against Mildil, a towering quadruped composed of ash, seeking to take literally several meters-squared of territory, by force if necessary.

An epic clash of titans commenc- oh wait Mildil's dead.

Generally of course this would be a tragedy (I didn't even get to test Mildils venom!), but there seem to be so many of them! A menangere of enormous, poisonous beasts. When one is lost it is no great tragedy, for another arrives to take it's place.

But... no, I should not think that way. Every single one of them has a unique poison, and every one of is of significant scientific interest. I must find a way of administering them before the entire population in the area kills one another! I must complete the fortifications, that a test subject might be exposed to Kor the Ribbon Worm's gas.

I must build a testing chamber with a floor of grates, and position the militia such that they might shed Nunore the Rotting Stegosaur's blood over the testing subject!

I must...

And Nunore's dead.

Aaarrrrghhahahahaha, HAHAHaHaHaHaHa, BWAHAHAHAHA!

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 22, 2015, 10:33:26 pm »

Hahaha.... I mean aww, it's dead.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 22, 2015, 10:43:02 pm »

By the way, if you read that last combat log closely, you'll see Zakosp the mud golem didn't actually deal lethal damage to Nunore the rotting stegosaur.

So that leaves two possible explanations:

The boring option: Nunore was in such an advanced state of decay that it fell apart and bled out from relatively few hits (< a page of combat)...

... OR...

The !!fun!! option: Zakosp the Tomb Of Ash emits a gas poisonous enough to kill a forgotten beast. Quickly.

(Edit) wait, nevermind. I misread "lower body" as one of it's legs. I suppose the entire Lower Body exploding *would* qualify as lethal damage, wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:03:43 pm by QuQuasar »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2015, 02:56:36 am »

Hey Guys,

lurker here. May I have a random unnoticeable male dwarf.

Best
Difio
Certainly! I got you a random mechanic I've seen about, but who hasn't actually done anything of interest thus far- HOLY CRAP YOU'RE MY FATHER.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well  that was unexpected. And Neblime's my brother. That's awesome. I had no idea my dwarf had family!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2015, 04:02:20 am »

Udib made a bracelet and immediately ceased abnormal behavior.

A disappointing end to a fascinating phenomena.

Experiment 8: Observational Study of Forgotten Beast hunting behavior.
The two goblins captured in the latest siege represent an excellent opportunity to perform tests that, by necessity, require expendable subjects.

While I am quite aware the third rule of science is "all subjects are expendable", it does no harm to use the less valuable ones in tests more likely to result in physical harm.

Test Subject: 1x goblin, unknown age, self-identifies as "Dostngosp Xokstrodno".
Procedure: Test subject will be 'pitted' two z-levels into the territory of "Amas Murkydeeps the Lurid Lice", a gigantic blob of snow.

Results: Experiment failed to take into account that the caverns are larger than just the small area where Amas patrols, seeking to enter our fortress and kill us all. Test subject fled into the darkness.

Addendum: Whoops.

Meanwhile...

Onul and Honeymoon walked the rough-cut corridors. The laughter of children could be heard as Zulban, Morul and Udib played somewhere in the small, rough carved fortress.

"It's small, but so are children. There's room for all of them, a dining hall and a small farmroom. The furnishing's aren't in place yet, but we've got enough doors leftover and it was easy enough to slip a request for beds into the work orders. There are a few spaces for workshops, too."

"Workshops?"

"They'll need a kitchen, a still and a farmers shop if this place is to be sustainable, as well as a craftsdwarves shop for pots to hold..."

"Wait up. "Sustainable"?" asked Onul, frowning in puzzlement. "I thought this was just until that armok-damned monster stepped down as overseer?"

Honeymoon gave her a look. "Onul... think for once, will you? This isn't about one madman. I know it's hard to remember while we're all working, but those dwarves out there... they're not good dwarves. Some of them have done far worse things then murder."

"You're saying we should seal the children in, is that it?" Onul said in a worried tone of voice.

"I'm saying we should seal everyone else in Icehold out. We few ensure that nobody threatens them ever again, and the rest forget that Icehold ever held children."

"You really think that's the best solution?" Onul asked hopelessly, a note of pleading in her voice. "I mean... you're talking about imprisoning them, maybe for years... they're just kids..."

"If you have any other solution..."

"I... no..."

Zulban ran past giggling. A second later, Morul chased after him. With the perfect hand-eye co-ordination only years of training can develop, Onul caught the 7 year old by the shoulder, stopping him dead in his tracks with a grip like a vice.

"Hey kiddo. Question."

"Yes, miss Onul?"

"Do you like it down here? In the secret kids room we built for you?"

Morul looked surprised by the question. He squinted at Onul, trying to work out if she was going to force him to come back upstairs if he answered wrong, then grinned and said "Yes Miss Onul! There's all these rooms, like a maze, and it's great for hide an' seek, and there's big rocks *everywhere*!"

"You like playing with the rocks?"

Morul nodded, then looked at Honeymoon suspiciously and lowered his voice conspiratorially. "Auntie Zaneg said I should always carry a big sharp rock around in my pocket, so I could smash in the head of people who looked at me funny."

He grinned widely and showed her the rock he'd produced from his pockets. It was indeed quite sizable, and possessed a commendably sharp edge.

"Is that so?" said Onul in a strangled tone.

"Yeah, but Uncle Difio said I should only do that if they tries to smash my head in first," Morul continued happily.

Onul nodded in something resembling relief. "That's good advice. You listen to Difio, okay?"

"Alright miss! Will do!" Morul shouted over his shoulder as he ran off again.

Honeymoon put a hand on the swordsdwarf's shoulder as the child vanished around a corner. At 27, Onul was 4 years her elder, but so much more naive. Somehow she'd survived these years in Icehold without being overcome by the cynicism that came native to someone who'd spent years running a honey cartel. Somehow, in spite of everything, Onul still thought of herself as a good person.

And good people didn't imprison children in small rooms underground. Onul was struggling with this. Uncharacteristically for her, Honeymoon felt moved to give some advice.

"Onul... sometimes there is no right choice. Sometimes there's two wrong choices, and you just need to decide which of them is least wr-"

"First we get them away from that monster of an overseer," Onul interrupted. "Then we can decide what happens next. Deal?"

"Deal."

...two days later...

Why can't anything go right lately? The beasts cannot be trapped, and they kill each other at the slightest provocation. The dwarfs produce useless, pitiful trinkets. The goblins run away without triggering any sign of hunting behavior...

And the local idiots simply won't stop poking the wildlife with sticks! For the love of all that is scientific, will you please leave the cave spider alone, Onul? You're making a hell of a racket and it's distracting me from my notes.

And now it's wrapping you in a silk cuccoon and biting you in the head, and the sound of mandibles scratching on your steel helm is making even more of a racket! Hehehe! Do you have any common decency at all, Onul?! Some of us are trying to work!!! HAHAH!!!

AND NOW YOU'RE SCREAMING IN TERRIBLE PAIN!!! HAHAHAHAAAH!!! FINE!!! I'LL HELP YOU, SEE IF I DON'T!!!

IN THE MIDST OF CONFLICT... I LAUGH IN THE FACE OF DEATH!!!!!

I say, I'm doing rather well for someone who's never used a mace and shield before.

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Oh, hello DeMarco, I'm glad you could make it. Do jump in!

BWAAAAHaHA HAHAHA HA HAARGH!!!!

Zaneg! Get up, quickly you fool! Swing! Slice! Cut it in half with your axe!

Yes! VICTORY!

MAAAAHAAAAARGH!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Aaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!!! ahahahahahaah...

Now, how's that fool Onul doing?

hahahaha... huh?

Onul?

Onul... wake up...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:18:20 am by QuQuasar »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20