Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: Ice Station WereZebra  (Read 53539 times)

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Station WereZebra
« Reply #240 on: November 06, 2015, 01:32:38 am »

Who built this minecart track? This thing is a deathtrap! and more importantly, HOW DO I TURN IT OFF URKAD NEEDS TO STOP CAUSING "ACCIDENTS"
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:23:44 am by DDDragoni »
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 06, 2015, 02:00:59 am »

Who built this minecart track? This thing os a deathtrap? and more imoprtantly, HOW DO I TURN IT OFF URKAD NEEDS TO STOP CAUSING "ACCIDENTS"
Well, it WAS designed by a toddler.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 06, 2015, 02:12:59 am »

Can we take a moment to appreciate the fact that neither the fortress name nor the werebeast type ate innacurately presented in the thread text?

''Icehold, weremammoths... thats very popular with the kids, Jim. We should capitalize on that and lure people to a crappy rip-off to cash in on that. Any ideas?

-Dunno, Ice... Station... Werezebra?

-Brilliant, get me the Sharknado guy on this!''
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:16:14 am by Taupe »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 06, 2015, 02:38:22 am »

Who built this minecart track? This thing is a deathtrap! and more importantly, HOW DO I TURN IT OFF
You can't. It is immortal.

I actually tried to get it working again: figured filling the moat with magma would be a perfectly reasonable course of action in no way likely to backfire on future overseers. But I couldn't figure the damn thing out, so I pulled every lever in the vicinity of the thing (always a sensible course of action when stymied in a community game). All this succeeded in doing was flooding the lower track with magma.

Then I tried to build a trackstop manually, got a few dwarves mildly injured, and obsidianised several tiles in the upper half of the track.

Then I dug those out and told the dwarves to rebuild the track with orthoclase. This was late autumn. I'm guessing they've finally gotten around to it, which is why they're going over there now and having "accidents".

URKAD NEEDS TO STOP CAUSING "ACCIDENTS"

Y'know, single-handedly halving the population of icehold by means of "accidents" would make for a pretty entertaining and memorable turn. I fully support this new narrative direction!

But you can probably reduce them simply by making sure the dwarves don't have anything to do over there. Forbid everything and cancel any track constructions.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:48:10 am by QuQuasar »

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 08, 2015, 03:57:35 am »

Icehold, Summer of 257

Urkad watched as the war dog was flung into the air, landing squarely on top of the single pillar in the room. Far below, the monstrous ribbon worm Kor Fataldust the Deep Holes roared, angered at the loss of its toy.

“I’m sorry, Urka- *ahem* Overseer, but with the way the tunnels are arranged, there’s no way to get that thing to the surface without letting it inta Icehold.”

Udil Floorskinned, Miner, gestured to the dog on top of the pillar—or most of it, anyway. Three of it’s legs and half of its lower body were still in the chamber with Kor

“And you can see why that’s a bad idea.”

Urkad frowned. “Normally, I’d take offense to someone saying I had a bad idea, but luckily for you, I’m in a good mood right now.”

“You got lucky today. But in the future, show some respect.”

One of those ‘crocs was causin’ some trouble down in the caverns, so I sent the boys to take care of it. The Grave Robber didn’t mess around.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I’ve also noticed that a lot of the workshops are getting rather cluttered, including my personal forge. This won’t do. I’ve asked the miners to expand our storerooms. Maybe this’ll help with the smell coming from the butcher’s shop, too.

One other thing’s been bothering me—the human trade caravan is scheduled to come through here this summer, but it won’t be able to get through the greenskins outside. Trade is very important to me- I am a legitimate buisnessdwarf after all.

I’m gonna have to make those greenskins an offer they can’t refuse.

Urkad walked up the stairs towards the surface, shielding her eyes as the sunlight began to permeate through the ice.
When she reached the top floor, careful to stay behind the fortifications, she called out to the goblins out on the icy plain.

“Hey, greenskins! I know you can hear me out there.”

A pair of goblins looked up from their squabble at the sound of the voice.

“You’ve been out there for a few months now, and I’ve been letting it slide, ‘cause it hasn’t really been a big deal.”

“But now I’m going to have to ask you to leave.”

Urkad listened for a moment, but the only response to her words was the sound of a silver bolt clattering off the fortifications.

“That’s about what I expected. Let me show you something that might just change your minds.”

The exterior door slammed open, and two large objects were tossed out of the door.

Squinting, one of the goblins could see that they were horribly mangled corpses.

“This Engraver here carved images that I disagreed with in my chambers, and his friend the Arsonist made the mistake of arguing with me. That kind of disrespect makes me rather annoyed. So I want you all out there to ask yourselves a little question. If this is what happens to people who annoy me…”

“What do you think happens to somebody that makes me mad?”

“And a bunch of greenskins hanging around my fort, killing my dwarves and stopping my trade, a buinsessdwarf might just get mad.”

“I’ll leave you all to consider that for a while.”

Urvad turned and walked back down into Icehold.

The greenskins have left, just in time for the human caravan to arrive. Unfortunately, their wagons weren’t able to make it in, so that limits my options somewhat—but every connection has a few setbacks.

Icehold’s food supply isn’t the most varied, so I had the humans give us all the food they had, along with some iron goods and a guineahen.

The trade isn’t the only good thing that happened today—thanks to a few “suggestions,” the Spiderkiller found himself out of a job, and my Enforcer is the prison’s new mayor.

The position’s meaningless, of course. I’m the real power here, but having some kind of official to satisfy the bureaucrats of the world is always nice, especially when they’re in my control.

I have, however, encountered a problem with the Professor. It appears that the prison’s war dogs have taken a liking to him- all 42 of them. Sometimes he can’t move, there’s so many dogs. I’m having the dogs spread around to some of my more loyal dwarves—nothing like a pair of bloodthirsty war dogs to inspire a bit of respect.

Icehold was full of monsters. Murderers, psychopaths, mad scientists, and honey extorters roamed beneath the ice, imprisoned away from civilized society.

However, out on the tundra, an even worse monster lurked, its scaly hide blending in to the bloodstained ice, following the scent of flesh on the icy wind.

It hid, and watched as the human traders emerged from the icy stronghold. There were too few of them to provide a proper feast, and they were too far away for it to catch them before the full moon ended.

However, the humans’ exit had still provided the beast with something- an opening. It darted forward across the ice, from dark patch to dark patch, trying to remain unseen as long as possible.

By the time the cry went up, it was far too late.

The Weremonitor charged forward, a guttural screech echoing from its jaws. It was time to feed.

The creature sprinted across the tundra, covering the distance to the bridge in seconds, long before anyone inside could reach a lever.

DeMarco Claspblazed, who had been outside Icehold gathering usable ammunition, wisely fled from the beast, escaping its notice as he ran into the snow.

As the creature charged up the stairs, it was greeted by a single figure gripping a bronze spear- Stakud Whipdangles, Eye Stabber. The creature struck at the speardwarf, but he danced to the side and stuck his spear, Stonthetust, into the beast’s arm, where it stuck fast.

The creature howled in pain before striking at Stakud again, to no greater effect.

A battle cry rose from the stairwell as another dwarf leaped onto the fray—Uvash Hallknights, Mace Lord—and a horrific snap was heard as his silver mace smashed the creature’s leg bone.

The beast howled once again as it fell, and Uvash readied his mace for the killing blow—but as he brought it down, the monstrous monitor rolled to the side, receiving only a glancing blow to the neck.

The beast was soon lost in a flurry of stabbing spears, mashing maces, and devilish dogs as the rest of the Icehold military attacked the creature. Soon the roof was still and silent, except for Bembul Laboredwrung, Grave Robber’s swearing as he attempted to free his mace from the creature’s skull.

Autumn has arrived on the calendar.

guuuUUUUUHHH. Sorry for the long wait, everybody—I got hit with a serious case of writer’s block about halfway through this thing.
I’ll try and do autumn and winter together to keep the wait down. I should be done playing by tomorrow, but I’m not gonna jinx myself by promising a write-up.
As always, let me know if you have any comments, suggestions, nitpicks, tributes, and I will see you at the end of winter!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 02:38:58 am by DDDragoni »
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 08, 2015, 04:55:53 pm »

Urkad watched as the war dog was flung into the air, landing squarely on top of the single pillar in the room. Far below, the monstrous ribbon worm Kor Fataldust the Deep Holes roared, angered at the loss of its toy.
Ah! Urkad is displaying a newfound interest in science and performing experiments of her own! Clearly my unparalleled scientific brilliance has rubbed off on the dwarves of Icehold.

Although it's a shame all of the high-quality test subjects are currently a part of the isolation test. We would have gained far more data from a sentient test subject.

I have, however, encountered a problem with the Professor. It appears that the prison’s war dogs have taken a liking to him- all 42 of them. Sometimes he can’t move, there’s so many dogs.

Experiment 11: Preliminary testing of prototype canine-powered dwarven locomotion method

Abstract: It is known to science that a large quantity of solid particles will behave in some ways more reminiscent of a flowing liquid than a collection of solids. Combining this knowledge with the well known dog-attracting properties of cooked meat, and the sheer quantities of both dogs and meat in Icehold, and it should be possible to exploit this behavior to ride, and possibly even steer, a fluid wave of dogs to ones destination.

Testing Apparatus: x42 war dogs (varying sizes), 1x wooden bed, 27x cooked yeti meat.
Hypothesis: I will stand aboard the bed and sail into the dining room aboard a sea of dogs, to the astonished cheering and applause of Icehold's denizens.
Results: Buried in dogs. Had to be rescued. Testing discontinued.

Note to self: Never speak of this again.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 08, 2015, 10:29:24 pm »

Question- I currently have the opportunity to select a Baron for Icehold. Should I turn down the offer because of the whole prison thing or accept it and work it into the story?
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 08, 2015, 10:48:38 pm »

Question- I currently have the opportunity to select a Baron for Icehold. Should I turn down the offer because of the whole prison thing or accept it and work it into the story?
I'd turn it down, but that's only because I can't think of a way to work it into the story. We've already had one baron impersonator.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 09, 2015, 12:09:00 am »

I'd turn it down, but that's only because I can't think of a way to work it into the story. We've already had one baron impersonator.
Excellent point. Barony denied. And besides, even if we change our minds, we can always redo it next year.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 09, 2015, 01:22:28 am »

The only explanation I can come up with is the incredibly corrupt King appointing someone to be his flunky inside Icehold. "Baron" is a term with implications and the King seems like a right bastard, what with sending all those kids to be political hostages.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 09, 2015, 09:02:47 am »

The baron could be a chief warden kind of thing, but we don't really have any wardens to begin with.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 10, 2015, 08:45:09 pm »

Who built this minecart track? This thing os a deathtrap? and more imoprtantly, HOW DO I TURN IT OFF URKAD NEEDS TO STOP CAUSING "ACCIDENTS"
Well, it WAS designed by a toddler.

oh god i thought this game was dead, this is the best thing to come back to

Edit: by the way, am i dead yet or am i impr- kept safe in the Place?
if you need to turn off my minecart thingy there should be some marked lever...

somewhere...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:36:07 pm by uber pye »
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 11, 2015, 08:05:07 pm »

No one thought about the.organized crime angle? Or the prison gang angle? I mean both are organizations with usually one boss, or kingpin. Capo.

And am I still alive?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 12, 2015, 12:20:14 am »

Better than that! You're alive, safe, and a skilled swimmer from the month-and-a-half you spent treading water in a small dark room! You can thank the Professor for that proficiency.

Don't worry, I'm sure the psychological scarring will fade. Y'know, eventually. Probably.

And am I still alive?
Shofet, Cannibal, last seen making a name for himself jumping off bridges onto goblins.

I'd have mentioned it if you died, and you haven't shown up in DDDragoni's combat logs, so I assume you're fine.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 12, 2015, 06:32:15 pm »

Sorry for the delay! IRL stuff kinda got in the way, but I was able to finish.
Here's the save, if whoever's next wants to get started.
I'll have a write-up in the next couple days if all goes well.

No one thought about the organized crime angle? Or the prison gang angle? I mean both are organizations with usually one boss, or kingpin. Capo.

And am I still alive?
Urkad is supposed to be a cliche mobster, Al Capone type character. Honeymoon was similar, if I remember correctly. If you're referring to the entire fort, it wouldn't work because there's too many varing personalities established by other Overseers.

And yes, you are alive at the end of my turn. You actually did something (kinda) significant too, but you'll have to wait for the report for that.

if you need to turn off my minecart thingy there should be some marked lever...

pyer, the_best is safe in The Place. and I was able to find the lever, but then there was the problem of a dwarf constantly resetting the cart, pushing it into the door, resetting the cart, repeat. I just kinda let that be because I didn't know what to do about it.
A bit off topic, but was the underscore in your profession stylistic, or did you not know you can have spaces in them?
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20