Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Help!] Bulding stuff  (Read 3007 times)

Sirez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[Help!] Bulding stuff
« on: August 04, 2007, 08:54:00 am »

Hey guys, I'm new to dwarf fortress and I need some help. Whenever I try to build a something it says "you need a free (whatever I'm trying to build)" By the way, I've got lots of wood and stone stockpiled. And I have a carpenter...

[ August 04, 2007: Message edited by: Sirez ]

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Help!] Bulding stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 09:11:00 am »

Most items (for example armour stands or cages) need to be MADE at the appropriate workshop before they can be placed. Workshops, roads, trade depots, supports, forges ect... can be made from the raw materials
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 09:32:00 pm »

Workshops need stones (or blocks or whatever) as a solid ground to base the workshop operations, so you won't be able to build the most basic workshops until you mine a little in the mountain.

Some workshops need extra items to build, like for example the ashery need a bucket, the forge need an anvil (you get one free in your first fall as well as a free smith), and some advanced workshops need advanced components that you can't have before a while until you made them yourself.

Just play a little around and you'll eventually find out where to build the things you need.  ;)

I am on a hot streak... literally.

sawtooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 11:15:00 pm »

Workshops can be built without mining into the mountain at all by using wood.  One can remove the wagons and use the logs to build workshops.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »

Hummm... You're right, but for the record this would really be a great waste of wood. Of course, you can always unbuild the workshop afterward and get the wood back. I guess it would not be such a bad idea for temporary workshops.  :)
I am on a hot streak... literally.

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 04:00:00 am »

Im guessing you're trying to build a chair or a table or a door or something like that.
You first need to build a mason's workshop, and set that to build some chairs and doors and stuff.
I guess it is kinda confusing having those in the "build" menu. It should be more like "place"