Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: [Rubble] First Landing mod (1.8): Now on 42.6!  (Read 43359 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I do agree that people who play silently and dont post feedback or suggestions should step in and leave their 2 cents, it encourages modders greatly, that way they don't think that they make mods for nobody.

I personally find the idea of randomly generated plants etc. used as means to provide unique experience quite a great idea. It's the opposite to very specific total conversions, and that's very interesting. I will make sure to try your mod as soon as I return from vacation next week.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

Sorry, I've been a bit of a lurker on this thread.

I have a fair bit on atm, but will dowload it before I go into the countryside next week.
One wheel short of a wagon

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

I personally find the idea of randomly generated plants etc. used as means to provide unique experience quite a great idea. It's the opposite to very specific total conversions, and that's very interesting. I will make sure to try your mod as soon as I return from vacation next week.

Farmable plants aren't currently random, but trees are. I may add random shubs, depends on how hard it will be to communicate important information (uses, growing season, etc) to the player...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

when I know how to sue rubble, I will try this.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Finally going to give this a second try after the rubble bug I reported some time ago prevented me from doing so the first time around. Am I supposed to use First Landing/Base only, as well as the other First Landing stuff, when generating the raws (so un-toggling the default Base) or is it supposed to go with the default raws, merely overwriting stuff? I'll try to figure out myself, but having an answer might help.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

how do I know if it is working? and after I turn on the rubble web thing, do I just generate raws then run the regular launcher?

And i keeps saying it cannot place farming civilizations
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:51:35 pm by Zavvnao »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

As the addon description for "First Landing/Base" says, this is a replacement for the default base, and you will need at least some of the other First Landing addons to get a valid world. Just deactivate everything (using the handy "clear all" link at the top of the generate page) and select every addon with a First Landing prefix.

Once you get that working you can experiment with adding default addons (some are not First Landing compatible) and tweaking the settings with the configuration variable editor.

how do I know if it is working? and after I turn on the rubble web thing, do I just generate raws then run the regular launcher?

Generate the raws like you would normally with Rubble, just with the First Landing addons instead of the default ones. Once the raws generate (without errors, Rubble will report how things went (and if you get any errors I want to know about them)) simply start DF like normal and generate a new world.

If things do not work then check to make sure you have no non-First Landing addons active, then try again. If it still won't work than you may have a bug, ask here and I will help you. Some non-First Landing addons are known to work fine with First Landing, but I have not had time to test them all, so if you want to use some of them try adding one at a time so you can easily tell which one's do not work (and let me know if you find an incompatible addon so I can add it to the incompatibilities list).
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As the addon description for "First Landing/Base" says, this is a replacement for the default base, and you will need at least some of the other First Landing addons to get a valid world. Just deactivate everything (using the handy "clear all" link at the top of the generate page) and select every addon with a First Landing prefix.

Once you get that working you can experiment with adding default addons (some are not First Landing compatible) and tweaking the settings with the configuration variable editor.

Generate the raws like you would normally with Rubble, just with the First Landing addons instead of the default ones. Once the raws generate (without errors, Rubble will report how things went (and if you get any errors I want to know about them)) simply start DF like normal and generate a new world.

If things do not work then check to make sure you have no non-First Landing addons active, then try again. If it still won't work than you may have a bug, ask here and I will help you. Some non-First Landing addons are known to work fine with First Landing, but I have not had time to test them all, so if you want to use some of them try adding one at a time so you can easily tell which one's do not work (and let me know if you find an incompatible addon so I can add it to the incompatibilities list).

Thank you. I had just thoguht that before you ha meant there where other htings I had to download.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

Nope, just Rubble and First Landing :)

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am looking through the raws now, and it is weird that one of the species is described as long-lived with such a short lifespan compared to the possible maximum for humans.

and is the orientation set the way it is for each species because of the world being more dangerous than even regular df with even more deaths? I just got interested in reading the raws now.

Not gong ot make a big deal out of things. I am asking modding questions is all ^^
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:43:48 pm by Zavvnao »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Gave this a try. While I really like the concept, I got to say that I think there is too much micromanagement. Also, apparently you can't do much of anything is you either do a zero-point embark or forget to bring a saw in a map with no wood (no power to make one, especially since wind and water generators are wood-only).

It's all down to personal taste, for the most part.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile

Also, apparently you can't do much of anything is you either do a zero-point embark or forget to bring a saw in a map with no wood (no power to make one, especially since wind and water generators are wood-only).

On a map with no wood you need to make a primitive pick with one of your wagon logs and race for the caverns,and you have two tries at most because you need one log to make a primitive axe to chop cavern trees... Yes its hard, it's supposed to be :)

Too much micro? Well, I suppose so, but that's how I like it :p

I am looking through the raws now, and it is weird that one of the species is described as long-lived with such a short lifespan compared to the possible maximum for humans.

Which one? If it's one of the randoms then they get that if they are relatively long lived for their type.

and is the orientation set the way it is for each species because of the world being more dangerous than even regular df with even more deaths?

The orientation is set the way it is because that is how I like it, feel free to change it, but I won't.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will check and say which one when I am back on my own pc.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: [Rubble] First Landing mod: Ready for general use (but not 100% done)! (A0.6)
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 11:11:28 am »

A0.7 will be ready in a week or so.

The current version has some major problems (you can't make querns or millstones, and slab engraving is missing).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: [Rubble] First Landing mod: Ready for general use (but not 100% done)! (A0.6)
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 10:03:55 am »

Nope, just Rubble and First Landing :)

Do I need to install DFHack separately, or is it part of one of the downloads?  I generally prefer all-in-one downloads, it decreases the chance for errors.

A preview of the workshops, weapons, etc. would be very nice.

I sometimes run an LP of any mods that I'm working on to show them off.  I think it helps with publicity.
You should also update your forum profile to highlight this mod separately from Rubble, unless you actually have many mods that you would like to highlight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7