Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: [Rubble] First Landing mod (1.8): Now on 42.6!  (Read 43406 times)

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Rubble] First Landing mod: It's all over but the tweaking! (A0.9)
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2015, 11:03:24 pm »

I am incredibly confused and embaressed due to the fact that I had no idea that was in the vanilla game.  Thanks for your help.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2015, 11:37:24 am »

In between bouts of working on Rubble 7 I ported First Landing to use it. Rubble 7 isn't generally available yet (and it won't be until after the next DF version), but the new First Landing is worth waiting for.

The biggest change is random farmable plants. Each plant is tagged with a one or two letter "classification code" that specifies what you can do with it, so it's not too hard to figure out what you need to plant. I also have some interesting ideas for bee keeping and fish farming, we will see how far I get :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 05:19:25 pm »

Rubble 7 is up, but the First Landing version made to use it needs some work yet.

Expect a 42.x version of First Landing just as soon as I can get a 42.x copy of DFHack.

My working copy of First Landing has some cool new features (random farmable plants!), and even more new features can be expected, what with all the cool new modding possibilities 42.x brings...

Anyway, several weeks til the next version, but it's worth waiting for!
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2015, 01:26:19 pm »

How do the random plants work?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2015, 02:44:32 pm »

The generator picks a random archetype from a weighted list, then selects a second archetype from the list of types that the first type is compatible with (this has a high chance of picking a "dummy" type). The archetype(s) are used to insert raws for materials and other tags related to the plant's use into a basic plant structure. To allow the user to see what each plant is good for, a simple code is then appended to the end of the seed name (that way you can see it on embark and in the stacks screen). Internally they are very simple, and adding more types of plants is very easy.

Plant tiles and colors are a simple "pick one from a list", just like tree tiles and colors are for the random trees.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2015, 12:13:24 pm »

I have a 42.x DFHack now, provided it works the new First Landing should be up in a week or so...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: [Rubble] First Landing mod (1.0): Now on 42.4!
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2016, 01:10:05 pm »

OK 1.0 for DF 42.4 is now up!

You will need to download the experimental DFHack for 42.4, but everything First Landing needs appears to work.

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2016, 08:27:26 am »

OK 1.0 for DF 42.4 is now up!

..., but everything First Landing needs appears to work.
So it seems! :)
Me bad :o :-X, I have read the new rubble templates doc but I am waiting to read the lua ones. Until the work in the new lua interpreter is stabilized.

The Lua API is more-or-less stable at this point, the interpreter may change, but the script API will remain the same.
I am running a First Landing [FL] fort to crosstest the compatibility of this mod with the vanilla generic Rubble addons, here is the actual addonslist.ini file I am using
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Some lurking around the [FL] code reveal this mod as a de fact: lua Rubble Api practical documentation, for the ambitious Dwarf Fortress modder; easier to understand than those in libs/base and others... More adapted for advanced learners of arcane secrets of modding.  ;)

I am liking a lot the freshness of the random creatures, vermin, fish, plants, trees, ... generator.

Designing and digging the structure of the nanofort 48x48 now, My complete workshop distribution is not finished at the moment.

What I miss more is a general support table of the random generated crops similar to those of the DF wiki to be able of understanding and take profit of the UNIQUE strategies of farming with each random generated World, maybe the acronyms after the seed name are hints of their intended usage...

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 08:32:04 am by Abadrausar »
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2016, 11:14:36 am »

If you look at the addon description for the random creature/plant addons in the Rubble web UI it will list definitions for the various letters that can appear in creature descriptions and after plant seed names. For example a plant with "(DTU)" can be used for Dye or Thread and grows Underground. Creatures have a similar system.

I'm glad you like it! In many ways First Landing is my flagship Rubble mod, it uses all kinds of Rubble features that the default addons don't need, and is the first total conversion mod designed from the ground up with Rubble in mind.

BTW: A lot of the addons you have selected either won't do anything (because they use a workshop that FL removes), or they won't do what they are supposed to do. If you look at how the addons are organized internally anything in "User/Vanilla"almost certainly wont work, while the stuff in "User/Common" probably will (note that both of these groups collapse together under the name "User" due to some addon.meta magic).

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2016, 02:19:53 pm »

If you look at the addon description for the random creature/plant addons in the Rubble web UI it will list definitions for the various letters that can appear in creature descriptions and after plant seed names. For example a plant with "(DTU)" can be used for Dye or Thread and grows Underground. Creatures have a similar system.
For those that like me needs more insight into the First Landing farming complete reference of the file addon.md in dir random crops, Important if you forget to read the description of this addon or some of its components.
Now the complete reference to understand the acronyms in the FL mod randomly generated creatures
I'm glad you like it! In many ways First Landing is my flagship Rubble mod, it uses all kinds of Rubble features that the default addons don't need, and is the first total conversion mod designed from the ground up with Rubble in mind.
This is a significant mod that adds enough new content to the game that it can be played fine without any Vanilla creatures, entities, or plants, however it does not change any of the game's base files.  If you want to play a Mushroom World-only game, delete the raw/objects folder and then place the downloaded raw files in their place.  If you want to play crossover Dwarf World and Mushroom World, simply place the new files in alongside the old.  All of the new objects are uniquely named, so it should play well with any other mods you choose to throw into the mix as well, provided that they don't change the base files either.
Some mods like IndigoFenix“s Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom are at the same time total and crossover, this could be an interesting future feature of FL mod. Only possible eviting clash of names using ID namespaces or whatever.
BTW: A lot of the addons you have selected either won't do anything (because they use a workshop that FL removes), or they won't do what they are supposed to do. If you look at how the addons are organized internally anything in "User/Vanilla"almost certainly wont work, while the stuff in "User/Common" probably will (note that both of these groups collapse together under the name "User" due to some addon.meta magic).
I were brute testing FL to know if it were a good base to build upon or even the work needed to crossover it totally;  giving more value to the community.
Until now i have found a highly resilient system with some very minor things that need some attention, mainly immersion aware things
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:37:08 pm by Abadrausar »
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2016, 03:15:29 pm »

The only real problem with using FL as a crossover (besides the completely different setting and the many vanilla workshops that have been removed) is that I do modify vanilla files, and there would be many, many ID collisions. It would probably be possible, but very, very difficult.

Until now i have found a highly resilient system with some very minor things that need some attention, mainly immersion aware things

If you find anything that you think should be different let me know! I am always happy for more ideas or prompts that I forgot something...

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2016, 06:31:57 am »

The only real problem with using FL as a crossover (besides the completely different setting and the many vanilla workshops that have been removed) is that I do modify vanilla files, and there would be many, many ID collisions. It would probably be possible, but very, very difficult.
Maybe not so difficult Milo, the parts more interesting to crossover not only for vanilla but for any other mod total or not out there are in my opinion the random generation, and those are simply a question of decomposing FL into independents parts...
If you find anything that you think should be different let me know! I am always happy for more ideas or prompts that I forgot something...
Some very minor examples where the final user experience could be a little more immersive:
a) User could see crates instead of more convoluted Lib_crates, sometimes the names of things mather. The general user  knows intuitively what is a crate but can be confused about a lib_crate...
b) Object IDs could be the same of the name ID, you could  even add the FL namespace at the end, So prospect report would be more clear. Real names would be more informative than random tree or crop and a number...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 06:37:51 am by Abadrausar »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2016, 01:14:50 pm »

I never even thought about prospect... It would be easy to make the IDs more descriptive, something to remember for next version.

Where are you seeing "libs_crates"? The only thing a user should ever see are things like "plastic bar crate" and the like.

nefariousD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2016, 03:40:27 pm »

Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm totally loving this mod right now. Expanded power system and more machine components are -precisely- what I want in DF. Thanks Milo!!!!!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2016, 04:08:00 pm »

You're welcome!

Previous versions of Rubble came with vanilla versions of all the automated workshop stuff, but I haven't gotten around to porting it to 42.x yet, I should probably do that...

There are a few things I need/want to do to FL yet, and then it is time for a new version. Coming soon: Bee keeping, fish farming, and maybe some other nice stuff!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7