Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: [Rubble] First Landing mod (1.8): Now on 42.6!  (Read 43355 times)

nefariousD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Rubble] First Landing mod (1.0): Now on 42.4!
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2016, 08:44:24 am »

You're welcome!

Previous versions of Rubble came with vanilla versions of all the automated workshop stuff, but I haven't gotten around to porting it to 42.x yet, I should probably do that...

There are a few things I need/want to do to FL yet, and then it is time for a new version. Coming soon: Bee keeping, fish farming, and maybe some other nice stuff!

Bee keeping and fish farming sound awesome.. What are the odds of getting more 'tech' related stuff? Perhaps some form of automated defense, like a turret..

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2016, 03:36:10 pm »

... What are the odds of getting more 'tech' related stuff? Perhaps some form of automated defense, like a turret..
Hi nefariousD! you should have a look at these, as they are surely the best base to build FL immobile creature turrets upon, the excellent masterwork turrets for DF 34.11, they are fine tuned.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Turret
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In MW they are constructed at the machine factory from a mechanism, iron and copper bars, a clockwork part, a bullet-appropriate material and a toolkit, these come in different varieties: acid(none), bullet(copper bar), fire(oil), hellfire(oil), slade(slade), warpstone(warpstone) and web(silk thead). They can be moved by placing them in a pasture.
The critical part is the clockwork that you obtain killing an always hostile and dangerous automaton, an hybrid organic-mechanical lifeform race, those are end siegers of your fort.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Automaton
Alternatively if you want to have clockworks parts before the mature part and final stage of your fort, you can use changeling creatures in the colosseum to invoke, fight and kill automatons (easier to say than do) when you are in need of the clockworks parts that you obtain as a trophy if you are able to defeat the invoked automatons.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Changeling
With some minor adaptations (maybe use some FL tech crates instead or in addition to the MW requirements) for 42.05, could be exactly what you are trying to do.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:54:01 pm by Abadrausar »
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

nefariousD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2016, 05:27:34 pm »

... What are the odds of getting more 'tech' related stuff? Perhaps some form of automated defense, like a turret..
Hi nefariousD! you should have a look at these, as they are surely the best base to build FL immobile creature turrets upon, the excellent masterwork turrets for DF 34.11, they are fine tuned.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Turret
In MW they are constructed at the machine factory from a mechanism, iron and copper bars, a clockwork part, a bullet-appropriate material and a toolkit, these come in different varieties: acid(none), bullet(copper bar), fire(oil), hellfire(oil), slade(slade), warpstone(warpstone) and web(silk thead). They can be moved by placing them in a pasture.
The critical part is the clockwork that you obtain killing an always hostile and dangerous automaton, an hybrid organic-mechanical lifeform race, those are end siegers of your fort.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Automaton
Alternatively if you want to have clockworks parts before the mature part and final stage of your fort, you can use changeling creatures in the colosseum to invoke, fight and kill automatons (easier to say than do) when you are in need of the clockworks parts that you obtain as a trophy if you are able to defeat the invoked automatons.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Changeling
With some minor adaptations (maybe use some FL tech crates instead or in addition to the MW requirements) for 42.05, could be exactly what you are trying to do.

Thanks for the tip! Perhaps I will have a peek at the code and see what it would take..

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: [Rubble] First Landing mod (1.1): Now on 42.5!
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2016, 01:15:41 pm »

Turrets are cool, but last I knew IMMOBILE creatures didn't use interactions properly... I do have an automatic crossbow machine laying around (it works with the machine system and fires normal crossbow bolts), it wouldn't be hard to turn that into a machine-gun turret...

1.1 is up!

This version brings semi-automatic hive-like workshops. These workshops automatically queue jobs in a semi-random manner, so once they are built the only thing the player needs to do is ensure there are workers available. Bees didn't make it after all, mostly because terrestrial bees didn't really fit the setting, but I did add some beetles that produce a plastic resin and machines that gather basic food and drink.

It turns out it is amazingly easy to add basic jobs to a workshop via DFHack, so I may use that ability to do some other stuff in the future, not sure what yet...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

nefariousD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2016, 10:19:48 am »

Is there something required other than clay in order to produce items at the Potter's Wheel? I have one set up surrounded by a clay stockpile, but the only three jobs listed are in red text and involve glazing..

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2016, 01:30:45 pm »

Is there something required other than clay in order to produce items at the Potter's Wheel? I have one set up surrounded by a clay stockpile, but the only three jobs listed are in red text and involve glazing..
General description of the FL mod is done in the file base/addon.md inside of the First Landing 1.0.zip, and the relevant parts about pottery and glazing are
Pottery reactions in
And glazing reactions in
FL mod needs DFHACK installed and many workshops needs power, not sure for pottery however.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 01:34:04 pm by Abadrausar »
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

isansom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2016, 03:50:12 am »

Hi there,

Just wondering if I've hit a bug or just mucked something up. Have DF42.05, DFHack 42.05alpha1, Rubble 7, First Landing 1.1. Everything seems to working just fine... except there are never any trees. I've tried 3 different embarks, regenerated the raws twice, no luck. There's wood in the embark list, but even embarking in heavily forested areas result in an empty plain. Any thoughts?

Great looking mod though, cheers!

EDIT: My mistake... I found trees. But it seems like the distribution is a bit off? If I embark on a heavily forested forest biome, I get trees, if I embark on a "wooded" temperate scrubland biome I get no trees at all. Seems like an all or nothing thing?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:55:44 am by isansom »

nefariousD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2016, 08:32:11 am »

Hi there,

Just wondering if I've hit a bug or just mucked something up. Have DF42.05, DFHack 42.05alpha1, Rubble 7, First Landing 1.1. Everything seems to working just fine... except there are never any trees. I've tried 3 different embarks, regenerated the raws twice, no luck. There's wood in the embark list, but even embarking in heavily forested areas result in an empty plain. Any thoughts?

Great looking mod though, cheers!

EDIT: My mistake... I found trees. But it seems like the distribution is a bit off? If I embark on a heavily forested forest biome, I get trees, if I embark on a "wooded" temperate scrubland biome I get no trees at all. Seems like an all or nothing thing?

I had this problem a few times, but I haven't been having it lately.. did you remember to replace world_gen.txt with world_gen.params from inside the zip, and to create a world with the 'Design a new world with advanced parameters' menu option?

isansom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2016, 02:44:46 pm »

Ah yeah, thanks for that, problem solved!

EDIT: Or not. For sure, if I embark on a "forest" biome, I'm fine, if I embark on a "temperate" biome, no trees.

I looked at the random tree raws... none of them are for "any_temperate", unlike the vanilla trees. I might have been unlucky with the random gen, but it might be something worth checking - do the random trees end up available in all biomes?

EDIT2: I see the code for generating trees only lists the following biomes: "[BIOME:ANY_WETLAND]","[BIOME:FOREST_TAIGA]","[BIOME:ANY_FOREST]","[BIOME:ANY_GRASSLAND]&[BIOME:ANY_SAVANNA]"

List seems to be missing things like Shrubland? Vanilla seems to use ANY_TEMPERATE. I switched a tree to ANY_TEMPERATE and got trees in the shrubland, so that is definitely my problem.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:31:22 am by isansom »

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2016, 03:17:31 pm »

@isansom: The biome list is probably too restrictive, it's an easy thing to change so I'll add that the the todo list for next version. Thank you for reporting this.

I have been thinking about adding alternate tree profiles ("stunted", "extra large", ect) that trigger on various biomes. This way it would be possible to have large trees in jungles and stunted scrub in deserts and other extreme biomes.

@nefariousD: Are you still having pottery problems? In any case I'll check it out and it will definitely work next version.

I have been running a FL settlement lately, and it has been blessedly bug free, yay! Of course I haven't tested everything...

My main issues right now is that it is too hard to identify plant properties (not sure if this is fixable), and walls made from bright green and cyan wood just seem weird... Maybe an optional "mostly brown wood" setting?
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

isansom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 05:37:22 pm »

Reduced trees in some biomes sound good, as does having a slightly more conformed wood, although I do like the mix of colours in general. Perhaps keep the leaves interestingly coloured? Keeps the alien feel.

I also found it a little tricky to tell what the embark animals could do for me, as I couldn't get at their description from there.

Are there other sprite packs for Rubble / First Landing? I must admit I've been a bit spoilt by the more graphical packs available.

nefariousD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2016, 08:17:53 am »

@nefariousD: Are you still having pottery problems? In any case I'll check it out and it will definitely work next version.

Yeah, still having issues. Thanks for looking into it! I remember it working in 1.0..

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2016, 12:34:03 pm »

OK, borked pottery is definitely a bug, a rather stupid script error actually. You are correct, it worked in 1.0, but 1.1 changed the way some of the templates worked and I goofed when I re-wrote the template...

Anyway, 1.2 is up and brings some bug fixes with it.

No new content made it into this version, mostly because I am really busy with some Rubble related stuff right now (a Lua compiler to be exact). Once I get the new Lua VM integrated into Rubble I have some plans for stuff that needs to be added to FL, but for now I am just keeping the bugs knocked down.

EDIT: I just discovered an amazing idea in the DF from scratch thread: Using a custom "colors.txt" to get a broader range of colors by sacrificing some of the redundant colors (why do you need two reds?) and replacing them with other colors. This seems to work really well at the cost of slightly more complicated mod installation. I wonder if it is possible to modify the colors after the game has started via DFHack? If it is possible it would be a really cool technique to use with FL...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:53:55 pm by milo christiansen »

nefariousD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2016, 08:25:19 am »

Thanks for v1.2, Milo! So great to have pottery back again..

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: [Rubble] First Landing mod (1.3): Now on 42.5!
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2016, 12:38:29 pm »

1.3 is up!

This version is all about colors. I totally replaced the vanilla color definitions with a simpler set, and a new palette to match. The new color palette is dynamically loaded via DFHack, so no need to do any extra installation.

This palette sacrifices some colors for others, and moves some colors around, to give a broader selection. This means that, IMHO, things look much nicer.

I had to redo the plant and tree color tables, so I took the time to make some changes to how trees are generated. The should have different sizes based on biome now!

EDIT:
Oh, BTW: I added a new name generator for creatures. Currently it is disabled by default because the word lists are too sparse. If anyone wants to help take a look at "<fl.zip>/Libs/Random/Names/first_landing_libs_random_names.mod.lua", near the bottom of the file is a set of word lists for various creature attributes. Any additions for these lists would be greatly appreciated, particulerly since I need several hundred adjectives to help balance the possessive form settler names...

To go with the new name generator I plan to make a system that allows players to name a species of animals/plants via a reaction triggered dialog (at a "naturalist's workshop" or some such). Succession or community settlement managers will soon be able to offer "planting" or "animaling" to spectators! Or, more practically, you could name common plants and animals with more sensible (easier to remember) names...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:17:49 pm by milo christiansen »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7