Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: DOOM: KNEE DEEP IN THE WAD  (Read 13511 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
DOOM: KNEE DEEP IN THE WAD
« on: June 04, 2015, 01:26:45 pm »

DOOM will be revealed at E3, as I think a few scattered posts on the forums have mentioned it already. DOOM, or Doom 4 if you prefer, is a reboot of the series.

I actually have a lot of hope for this one, first because the two new Wolfenstein games have been excellent and second because, according to eyewitness who went to a private demo of the game in a previous expo it looks a lot like Doom 2 with a few elements not present in any previous Id games, such as double jumping.

Let another hype thread begin.

(Talk about other DOOM games in general is also encouraged)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:03:53 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DOOM: Hype on Earth
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 01:37:11 pm »

So... this is a reveal for a reveal?

Funnily enough I never played any of the older DOOM games, just DOOM 3. One of the most fun parts of it was actually getting the Last Man Standing mod for it and playing it Co-op. As with anything you play with friends, it's a lot more fun.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 01:45:49 pm »

1. id was already hollow shell of its former self 10 years ago when doom 3 was being made, now even john carmack has jumped ship

2. not going to be pc exclusive

couldnt be less hyped

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 01:50:46 pm »

Yeah. I'm not sure a reboot will even get what made DOOM special. The restylization of DOOM3 worked, but it didn't drive me wild like the older, more metal look of it. That and making DOOM like your typical SP FPS campaign (findable audio logs, people narrating at you constantly, lots of cinematics.)

It was ok but it didn't really feel like DOOM. So while this reboot could be like "lets get back to brass tax", chances are it's going the other direction even further. Like instead of being a FP experience with a voiceless character, we'll get some really tarted up character who we play during the game, with a personality and what not.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:19:56 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 01:56:01 pm »

Can it beat Brutal Doom in making Doom doomier than Doom?
I remain doubtful, but hoping.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 02:19:11 pm »

The things I've heard make it seem like they've taken some notes from Brutal Doom. Which would be good. Interested to see what'll actually come of it.

Don't think it can be worse than Doom 3. And their most recent game was pretty good. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 02:20:40 pm »

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 04:18:48 pm »

On a slightly related note, there was a Doom 4 being made before (like 2007-2013), but it got cancelled. Having lookied at the leaked footage and read the info on it, I'm quite glad. Sounded like a CoD shooter and looked like an even more generic Gears of War. I've also heard rumours that at one point it was supposed to be aliens instead of daemons.

So at least they had the common sense not to do that. Will see if any of this carried over. Though what little we got to see in the teaser doesn't look like it.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 04:37:18 pm »

Hoping there's an initial level or two on the fall of the Martian bases. It'd be a nice little tutorial level. "Here's how you do stuff, this is what 10,000 daemons look like, now everybody dies."

Then you could get into the actual game. It'd make you feel a bit more for the motivations behind the main character. Or not. Story was never exactly one of Doom's strong points. It never really needed it. But it would be funny, and could give some awesome early shock value in the campaign. Losing is fun! Then you start winning with your actual Doomguy.

While I hope they take some hints from Brutal Doom, I also hope they take a few clues from DoomRL. You're at a science base, so science your weapons into something awesome. That and challenges.
It's a game. Have fun.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 04:40:25 pm »

I do hope they move away from silly doom 3 tight corridor infinite darkness bleh to THERE'S 50 DEMONS ON THE SCREEN RIP AND TEAR. Otherwise, this brutal doom build looks pretty delishus.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 04:50:12 pm »

All I can think of is a DOOM .wad for one of the updated engines that turned the whole thing into a hand-holding movie with terrible voice acting and fetch quests.

-Go open that door.
-You can't open that door, it's locked.
-"Stand back mehreen! Blasting charges!!"
-booooom
-"Aw hell yeah, splosions! Now Lock and Load, Mehreen! Go fight with your battle brothers!"
-Flashback to training, 3 minute cinematic
-Finally walk through the door. Get shot by zombie, the whole screen turns red and flashes blood.
-Take cover to regen health.

So yeah it was like 5 or 6 minutes to go through one door. Amazing. I can only hope this reboot features the same gritty spehss and sometimes mehreens.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 05:04:49 pm »

While I hope they take some hints from Brutal Doom, I also hope they take a few clues from DoomRL. You're at a science base, so science your weapons into something awesome. That and challenges.
Apparently, they did take at least some hints from Brutal Doom, since apparently executing enemies will be a thing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 05:06:56 pm »

But executing enemies was the least important part of brutal doom. The important part was rewarding fast, aggressive playstyles to butcher tons of zombies and demons in bloody hilarious fashion.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 05:08:05 pm »

Ugh, a reboot of a franchise that still has a recent healthy title released? Accursed Farms was right, it is an epidemic.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 05:11:55 pm »

Ugh, a reboot of a franchise that still has a recent healthy title released? Accursed Farms was right, it is an epidemic.

What? Doom 3: Ressurection of evil came out literally a decade ago.
Unless you're talking about the remake that came out in 2012, and three years is enough time for another game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6