Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: DOOM: KNEE DEEP IN THE WAD  (Read 13582 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: DOOM: Hype on Earth
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 05:12:18 pm »

But executing enemies was the least important part of brutal doom. The important part was rewarding fast, aggressive playstyles to butcher tons of zombies and demons in bloody hilarious fashion.
A description of the demo.. Aside from the teasers, this is the main source of information so far. I doubt anything else will be released until the 14th.

Ugh, a reboot of a franchise that still has a recent healthy title released? Accursed Farms was right, it is an epidemic.
Recently released? Doom 3 is old. It was released in 2004, that's 11 years ago. BFG edition was just an HD rerelease aimed mostly to get the games on consoles.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 05:13:00 pm »

The issue is that it's a reboot with the same title as the original, not that it's a new game. At best it's going to be a hassle for archivists, at worst it's a cynical grab for nostalgia money.

BFG edition was just an HD rerelease aimed mostly to get the games on consoles.
It still keeps the series in the public view. It's not as though people have forgotten about Doom.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 05:14:19 pm »

The issue is that it's a reboot with the same title as the original, not that it's a new game. At best it's going to be a hassle for archivists, at worst it's a cynical grab for nostalgia money.
Actually, the first game was renamed to The Ultimate Doom, so not this time I guess.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 09:22:13 pm »

Isn't "Ultimate Doom" another name for "Doom with the fourth episode patched in"? I don't think they actually renamed the entire first installation to that, it's the name of that version of Doom.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 09:26:15 pm »

Isn't "Ultimate Doom" another name for "Doom with the fourth episode patched in"? I don't think they actually renamed the entire first installation to that, it's the name of that version of Doom.
Unless you find an original disk, you'll only be able to find the ultimate version. But yes. Or just call them Doom 1 and 4 I guess.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 09:19:02 am »

E3 happened, and so did both a gameplay video and a trailer.

I like what I've seen. Quite a bit, in fact. Only thing I didn't like is that it seems that the chainsaw appears to reuse the same animation over and over for each type of enemy killed with it rather than just cutting the models where you hit them and ragdolling the rest.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: DOOM: HYPE AND TEAR
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 10:03:57 am »

Gameplay looks awesome especially in the hell trailer. Visuals are terrible however, the engine looks great but everything is very bland. I hope I won't be drooling on the keyboard after seeing all this grey.

What will seal the deal will be the levels, if they are anywhere near the clever design of our classic doom/duke it will be a great game. But even if it tanks, user made levels will compensate.

So HYPE, so far.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 10:24:41 am »

Why can't I help myself but to think of Cacaodemon whenever I misread it.

Horrifyingly tasty threat. It's core/heart is that of a cherry.

I do like the updated demon designs though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:31:41 am by Itnetlolor »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 10:25:16 am »

Gameplay looks awesome especially in the hell trailer. Visuals are terrible however, the engine looks great but everything is very bland. I hope I won't be drooling on the keyboard after seeing all this grey.

What will seal the deal will be the levels, if they are anywhere near the clever design of our classic doom/duke it will be a great game. But even if it tanks, user made levels will compensate.

So HYPE, so far.
So I found this video, a built-in modmaker. So I guess if the base game feels lacking in any area, the community will certainly fix that.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 10:39:34 am »

The gunplay still has that doom 3 weak feeling.

The shotgun isn't loud enough, doesn't seem to kick. The monsters barely flinch when hit, except when they die, whereupon they break into chunks like you'd shot a block of mincemeat.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 10:55:49 am »

Yep, I got that feeling too. Brutal doom's weapons still feel, well, more brutal, and while I do feel like a nagging nerd for mentioning brutal doom whenever I talk about doom, I feel that it has captured the essence of what doom is supposed to be like. The new doom doenst seem as frenetic or brutal from what I've seen so far. The super shotgun doesnt feel as super, the plasma rifle seems kinda weak, and the enemies behave like cinematic props untill you actualy kill them.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 11:05:35 am »

Maybe it's just me, but, I can barely tell what half of those demons are. They all look like the same malformed bunch of muscles.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 11:21:15 am »

Personally, I found all of them pretty recognizable save Pinky, who's more Brownie now. The designs are faithful to the original monsters, except for the color palette, and that one difference is a bad, bad thing. The original baddies were all bright and colorful and easy to recognize as a result and the redesigns are BROWN, BROWN, MORE BROWN, THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH BROWN. I hope they make them more colorful for release, but I doubt that's gonna happen.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2015, 11:31:06 am »

Personally, I found all of them pretty recognizable save Pinky, who's more Brownie now. The designs are faithful to the original monsters, except for the color palette, and that one difference is a bad, bad thing. The original baddies were all bright and colorful and easy to recognize as a result and the redesigns are BROWN, BROWN, MORE BROWN, THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH BROWN. I hope they make them more colorful for release, but I doubt that's gonna happen.
I think you mean grey rather than brown, but yes. Only one of the smaller ones I can easily recognize is the imp, because it appears to be nearly identical (except being a higher quality model, of course) to it's Doom 3 appearance.

I'm hoping they'll improve the weapon sounds, at least to match Wolfenstein: New Order levels.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6