Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: DOOM: KNEE DEEP IN THE WAD  (Read 13591 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: DOOM: HYPE AND TEAR
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2015, 11:50:52 am »

I dunno why, but I can't get really hyped for this here Doom. I mean, it looks fun and all but the weapons seem seriously underpowered, the levels look samey (BROWN! AND ORANGE! AND MORE BROWN! HERE'S A BIT OF BLUE AND EVEN MORE ORANGE!) and the enemies look strangely similar to one another.

Just can't really get hyped for it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 11:58:44 am »

doom 3 didn't hit my chords, but I'm genuinely hyped for this, the pacing is just amazing and they got rid of the stupid every monster is a scary jump monster mode of d3

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 12:10:45 pm »

I can see this being fun, but it's not really grabbing me as DOOM. Part of it is...you're such a badass now. Power armored badass what rips demons apart with their hands. While that's cool....that's not really DOOM in my mind. DOOM was a regular guy with guns facing off against a horde of demons who wanted to rip THEM apart.

Between the stylization of the demons, all dat brown/orange and the more cinematic focus of this game versus previous ones....I dunno. Seems like a fun game. Just doesn't really remind me of DOOM.

I did like the echo recording though. Would be cool if that was how audio logs and such were handled now, that would be a cool evolution to the standard FPS campaign stuff we're used to.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:24:23 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 12:31:08 pm »

Ye, it does look like a fun game, but it doesnt look very DOOMy.
I while I disagree a bit on the "doom marine is a regular-ish guy" part, he's certainly not a full on 40k space marine that can go around punching demons apart, unless he gets a berserker pack of course. Even in brutal doom, which was designed to be cartoonishly action packed and brutal, you can only perform executions when you get a berserker pack, while in the new AAA DOOM the marine can just grab dazed/stunned demons and rip them apart with his hands, which is cool, but a bit odd.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 12:53:27 pm »

Ye, it does look like a fun game, but it doesnt look very DOOMy.
I while I disagree a bit on the "doom marine is a regular-ish guy" part, he's certainly not a full on 40k space marine that can go around punching demons apart, unless he gets a berserker pack of course. Even in brutal doom, which was designed to be cartoonishly action packed and brutal, you can only perform executions when you get a berserker pack, while in the new AAA DOOM the marine can just grab dazed/stunned demons and rip them apart with his hands, which is cool, but a bit odd.
We only see the doomguy doing executions on smaller demons. I wonder if it'll be possible to do it with the bigger ones. Something tells me that its likely, except maybe for the cyberdemon.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 02:44:33 pm »

Why does he walk so slow? This is Doom, he should be moving at 90mph.
And does anybody else find canned execution moves extremely boring and repetitive?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 02:51:48 pm »

And does anybody else find canned execution moves extremely boring and repetitive?

Pretty much like every example of execution in any game, ever. There's never been an execution system that actually seems like it has a point. Like, Space Marine? The execution animations that regen your health can actually cost you health while guys shoot you, to the point it sometimes just makes more sense to just shoot them or keep attacking through them. I guess Manhunt executions had a point, but only because a) it's how you were scored and b) you weren't able to fight off guys in normal combat very well.

So yeah. To me the executions are pure fluff, nothing else. At least they're quick though.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 10:58:08 pm »

I believe I read an article mentioning that the executions were a "go up to stunned monster and press E" deal.

Extrapolation: If we can assume that executions are going to be a major feature, maybe we can also assume that melee combat will be more of a thing than previously. Whether that means less ammunition or more melee weapons to choose from I can't guess.

Serious Sam 3 had executions that I think were handled well, though I haven't done any reading into peoples opinions on that. Ripping the eye out of a Gnaar and so forth.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 12:12:16 am »

annoying, yes, but I saw good variety in the trailer

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 12:21:06 am »

I'll need to play it to know for sure. There was a big focus on how "fast" it was, but the demo was pretty slow. Not even just compared to something like DooM 1/2, but as a FPS in general. Its really likely they slowed it down (not moving at max speed, going for every execution, etc) to make it easier to show off stuff though. Whether or not it'll be fast enough to call it a real successor to DooM 1/2 remains to be seen, though. I doubt it.

I also have my worries about the style of the levels. It's better than the shite that was Doom 3's level design, but is nothing close to how interesting the older Doom game's levels worked. I really hope we see less generic factory/refinery/whatever designs. Im tired of fighting in bottled up little hallways and squares spaces. The original DooM had outside levels that made the mars base feel way more open - hell, the first level starts with you overlooking a martian courtyard, while the second game places your back to a balcony to the outside. It opened it up, even if there wasn't much actual space in the game.

Sounds were a little lackluster. Yeah, the super shotty sounded badass. Thats good. The rocket launcher was really lame though, and so was the laser rifle. Seeing those huge laser rifle shots and the loud droning of the weapon was what made it feel so good - the quiet hum and tiny little laser bursts of the new laser rifle are really tame in comparison. Hope they get beefed up.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2015, 02:53:48 am »

That's the problem with e3 gameplay trailers.

First he was playing with a controller which is a sin by itself, but let's move on.

He was purposely moving and turning slowly, to show details. And there was many, many useless animations. I cannot imagine the gun pickups being in the final game, especially in user maps. I was also hoping for a classic look and sound for the plasma gun but bah, details... Anyway it does not really indicate how it will play in the end.

What disturb me is that the first rule of making an action game is to make sure that enemies and items are easy to distinguish.  You cannot tell any of the human sized enemies apart! And they blend in the background. Hell, you cannot even tell most guns apart too except from the iconic super shotgun. I really hope they reskin all these assets before launch.

In any case there will be mod support so if it end up slow paced I guess we can fix that ourselves.

Edit: I just saw the multiplayer trailer, I cringed at the revenant powerup but then I remember that Quake had quad damage. :P
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:59:47 am by Boltgun »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2015, 03:09:41 am »

Because that'd probably break the heavily-scripted cinematic sequences.

To me, it's not going to be DOOM again until they completely do away with any attempt at a story and just give it the same excuse plot that every classic ID game had: humans make portals, demons come out, you gotta stop them.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2015, 09:53:32 am »

PTW. Pretty much everyone already mentioned my own complaints about Doom 4.

Y'know, if this is supposed to be a reboot, it's not surprising they're doing all these redesigns of classic monsters and weapons and stuff. Probably the goal of the reboot is not to make a game that plays like old doom but with new graphics, but to "update Doom to compare with modern shooters" or some similar marketing crap.

If there's mod support then I'm hopeful that the player base can make its own worthy Doom successor. Basically Brutal Doom all over again.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2015, 10:03:53 am »

Yeah, between this and XCOM2, I'm really getting tired of scripted gameplay that represents things you'll never see in game. From the weapon pickup admiration animation, to seeing a Berzerker charge at your dude trying to evac a crtically wounded team member being airlifted out, most of this stuff is glam. I would prefer unadulterated gameplay videos. But I guess in a world where video games need to be movies at E3, that's not going to happen.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2015, 10:17:06 am »

One thing they got right. The doors have the Doom Door Sound.  :P
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6