Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why They Fear the Night (bogeyman game) and other DF-related stuff  (Read 1320 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I was wandering through a corner of the internet totally unrelated to DF and I came across this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574761396/walkerman

It's not readily apparent from the kickstarter, but if you play the free prologue, as I did, it soon becomes apparent that what you're fighting is essentially the bogeymen from DF. They've been expanded on, of course, but the basic depiction is the same and even the line "now you know why you fear the night"

There has already been music (most notably, in my opinion, that by Simon Swerwer) and books (Brandon Carbaugh) inspired by Dwarf Fortress, but I think this is the first game. Well, unless you count those where the inspiration is purely mechanical, which might be less generously referred to as cheap knockoffs. But for something that takes interesting world lore and builds on it in a way that DF won't and arguably can't, this is the first that I know of. It's also nice to see that it seems to be continuing the general trend of these kinds of products – those which are peripherally related to DF but still their own thing – having a generally high level of quality.

Are their more games or things like this that I may have missed?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:07:10 pm by Cruxador »

Richard Von Veger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McRichard cancels sleep:interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
Re: Why They Fear the Night (bogeyman game) and other DF-related stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 05:13:39 am »

Interesting, I must say...