Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who's your least favorite/most hated character?

Akhentef
- 1 (5.9%)
Muta
- 9 (52.9%)
Nameless Ant-god
- 3 (17.6%)
Sumidu (Muta's father)
- 0 (0%)
Gezaru
- 0 (0%)
General Ilkid
- 1 (5.9%)
George
- 2 (11.8%)
Azumah
- 1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 47

Author Topic: You Are a Minor God  (Read 104622 times)

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are a Minor God
« Reply #240 on: September 25, 2015, 12:53:03 am »

Previous

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:46:13 am by bahihs »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 25, 2015, 01:42:30 am »

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:55:41 am by evictedSaint »

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 25, 2015, 09:20:11 am »

Very cool. Love that horse!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 25, 2015, 02:16:21 pm »

Would the nature regen have like vines growing over the wound and then glowing and falling away to reveal unblemished flesh? Because that'd be dope.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 25, 2015, 03:06:58 pm »

Would the nature regen have like vines growing over the wound and then glowing and falling away to reveal unblemished flesh? Because that'd be dope.

Probably not, since we're not the god of nature and don't have any sphere that even REMOTELY covers healing abilities.  I bet it'd be more guiding wounds to heal correctly and keeping infection from setting in.  Useful, but not terribly exciting.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2015, 03:29:32 pm »

I thought that the whole idea was that we were expanding towards a new sphere?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:18:05 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2015, 04:29:29 pm »

We were spending our God Point™ on a new power rather than expanding our sphere of influence.  No one seems particularly interested in expanding our sphere; and at any rate jumping from "God of Rabbits" to "God of Nature" probably skips a few needed steps.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2015, 05:17:30 pm »

No, just to "god of rabbits and healing" Besides, isn't acquiring powers in a new sphere a great way to balance expansion and personal growth? It wont be as extreme as just expanding into nature, but it would make it a much smaller step when we do go there. healing makes us a god of nature in the same way stealth would make us a god of shadows. Besides, I think healing would would be better to help us keep her alive. Stealth would help during direct encounters with the enemy, but she is much more likely to die from the myriad of other dangers present during war. Disease, infection, injury, blood loss, ...ect And yes, stealth would help prevent direct injuries, but she will inevitably end up in combat, and we need to be prepared for that. Stealth will buy us time, but one way or another she is going to end up hurt eventually and we need to be ready for that. Healing is the best way to be prepared.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2015, 05:28:22 pm »

I'm all for expanding our sphere!  The thing is, healing is in no way related to rabbits.  Remaining unseen through stillness is totally a rabbit thing, though.  If we're going to start eating up other spheres, we should start with the neighboring ones first.  Going from rabbits to all rodents, for example - or from rabbits to fertility, keen senses, or even just fluffiness.  Healing is a great sphere to have, it's just not easily within our grasp right now.  If we work our way up to "All Nature" then yeah, healing would totally be the first thing we pick up.

Besides, healing is a reactive power whereas stealth is a proactive power.  I'd rather the next update say

"And then Eve used her newfound super powers to avoid detection and totally avoided getting stabbed in the stomach."

than say

"And then Eve was totally stabbed in the stomach, but the viscous stab-wound didn't get infected thanks to her newfound super powers."

And if it really boils down to it, we could always blow a few Miracle Points™ to heal our living connection to the material world on the rare occasion she gets grievously injured.  It'd be more consuming to blow MP every time she has to pass a stealth check; she's a scout, after all, stealth is her thing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:33:40 pm by evictedSaint »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2015, 05:38:36 pm »

Shes in a war, she might not get stabbed that time, but sooner or later she will get hurt. Besides, who said our spheres had to be directly connected? Plenty of old gods were of things directly opposite to each other! And healing would do more than stop infections, it might not be wolverine style regeneration like someone said earlier, but it certainly would have some real godly effect, seeing as we are a god and all...

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2015, 06:38:16 pm »

The idea of Stillness sounds interesting to me. I'll place my vote on that.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2015, 07:22:13 pm »

Alright I'm locking the poll. It seems Stealth has won, so we will roll with that. Thanks to everyone who voted.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2015, 07:58:06 pm »

And so, I am defeated. I shall diminish, and go into the suggestions forum and remain helmacon.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2015, 10:08:57 pm »

Previous

The trip to the front is a week of uninterrupted quiet. The soldiers, including Eve, are restless and nervous, none more than Gezaru, on whose shoulders lie the burden of 49 other men, most of them recruits.

On the 7th day the soldiers reach the main camp. The battlefield is an abandoned farm - miles and miles of wilted wheat and on each side tents and tarps and waiting men. Gezaru is given orders to hold his position as a reserve force, much to his relief. According to his superiors the battle has been pitched for 6 consecutive days with each side reinforcing as their numbers dwindle. The end of the battle is not yet in sight, and the enemy shows no signs of giving ground or retreating. In fact, rumors have begun to spread that a major reserve force is marching toward the front, estimates put the reserve at twice the size of the enemy's current force. But the truth of this rumor is uncertain.

In the morning, Gezaru and his men are ordered to hold behind the main troops along the left flank. He relays these orders to his own men. The two armies form ranks and files, the thunder of their unified footsteps almost breaking the earth beneath their feet. Then when everyone is in position, there is a moment of silence so awful and total it feels like suffocation. And then the drums begin to play. And the men begin to scream. And their feet begin to charge.

The force of bronze on bronze reverberates through the wind. You watch on in wonder as men rip each other to pieces over several inches of earth, as luck and fate are dissolved and reborn within the same instant. A man throws his spear at a young boy, half his size. The boy brings his shield up in time to deflect the blow. He looks down at the bent spear-tip in wonder, proud of his own strength and speed. Then an arrow spits through his chest and he falls, never to rise again. On the right flank, you watch as an enemy squad is encircled, thrown into disarray and fear. They drop their weapon and try to flee, a hail of arrows catches their backs. You know they will not be buried like the others, but will have cowards' funerals.

You watch as men are trampled underfoot of other men, as brain-meat is dashed across the wheat-fields by horse hooves and the butts of spears. You watch as elbows are torn out of their sockets and entrails are pulled out of bellies. Each side pushes forward, and then each is pushed back. You can see the blood of foes on each man's chest, covering his eyes and face. Bits of foe-flesh on their armor and on the ends of their spears. You can hear the fear of the new and the relish of the old. The subtle taunts and curses, the cries of mercy and the screams of mercy not given. And the eyes, so many and of so many kinds. Surprised eyes, angry, grieving eyes, eyes full of terror, eyes that do not bend, uncaring eyes, dead eyes. Dead eyes that look ahead but see nothing.

And the men remembered the sight of their wives, and the taste of their lips. The feel of good earth between their fingers, or the supple udders of their cows, or the small hands of their daughters around their necks. The smell of roasting meat, newborn sons held in their arms, the smell of their beloved's hair beneath their chins. And then the smell of bronze, of dust, and the smell of rust in blood. The sight of the sky, and then no more of the fair earth forever.

And then you know. You know it and know it. That the multitudinous creatures of this earth, of the sea and of the air make meals of each other, but the race of men alone, make war.   

"Poetry. Isn't it?" You turn around to face Ishtar, reclined as before, in the same dress as before, wearing the same expression of amused indifference, as before. "Herein lies the essence of man, here he strikes the primal chord. Look to him, Arlore, see his nature unfold like a rose at dawn. Is he not driven by base things? But look at the beauty of his execution. The arc of bronze, or the timbre of drums, the strain of muscle against muscle. Sublime. And honest."
"I beg to differ dear sister. War is deception. Look there! See how Dukara falsely retreats his men to draw in his opponent. He has potential, that one. Or...there! See his faint? That twitch on his left shoulder? A masterful bluff. Ah but Amur is no honest man either, look how he hides his troops behind the woods, he will slaughter those recent recruits retreating there. Cold, that one. Or-"
"-Enough! Can't you leave me be George? Go pester someone else."
"What? Its my domain as much as yours. Right Arlore? What do you think?"
"Leave the little god out of it, what does he know?"
"Don't be so uptight sister. You'll get wrinkles."
"You know I can hurt you right?" Silence for a few minutes.
"I'm bored. Why don't we make this interesting sister?"
"If you're bored just leave."
"Come now, sister, you used to love these little games. I know you want to play"
"...fine. What do you have in mind?"
"There you are! Hmm, how about a wager?"
"I'm listening"
"I'll bet that Attergar and his company can beat any you name."
"Like hell that'll happen. I'll bet on Dukara's personal guard."
"That's cheating sister!" She laughs wickedly.
"Can't chicken out now Georgie, look! Looklooklook, there he goes, my Bupolu. He's spotted your puny Attergar, trying to sneak on Dukara. Tsk, tsk, someone is going be taught a lesson today."
"I don't think so." George murmurs this so that only you can hear it. Then he winks at you and rolls up his sleeves revealing a pair of hairy arms. He twirls his fingers like a conductor. Suddenly on the battlefield, Bupolu's cavalry is flanked by troops hiding in the woods. He manages to retreat his forces before they are overtaken and destroyed.
"Cheap trick George. That was a cheap trick."
"You started it, sis."
"Let's go again. I bet-"
"Wait sister, we're being rude. We haven't asked Arlore if wants to play." You are still watching the troops that emerged from the woods, they are surrounded by the enemy now and are being picked off by archers.
"Arlore!"
"Yes, madam! What can I do for you?"
"Polite isn't he?" She asks George.
"Yes, he is." George watches you with the kind of curiosity possessed by those seeing a circus freak for the first time.
"Do you want to play?" He asks.
"Play?"
"Yes, wager."
"What are the stakes?"
"Good question. Sister?"
"Hmm, you win, I'll answer three of your questions to best of my knowledge. When it comes to matters within my domain - well, I leave nothing unturned. Or I can give your little girl a present. Something to show she is a welcome guest in my...home" She raises her arms and gestures at the battlefield. 
"And if I lose?" She smiles her predator smile.
"You'll owe me one. And I collect a lot sooner than Muta does."
"So? Are you in?"

What do you do?

(I've added a new poll)

Next
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:46:58 am by bahihs »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2015, 10:19:10 pm »

We neither need answers nor does Eve require any kind of gift.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 47