Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who's your least favorite/most hated character?

Akhentef
- 1 (5.9%)
Muta
- 9 (52.9%)
Nameless Ant-god
- 3 (17.6%)
Sumidu (Muta's father)
- 0 (0%)
Gezaru
- 0 (0%)
General Ilkid
- 1 (5.9%)
George
- 2 (11.8%)
Azumah
- 1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 47

Author Topic: You Are a Minor God  (Read 103475 times)

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are a Minor God
« Reply #390 on: October 10, 2015, 10:17:44 pm »

I'd just like to point out that "merely defended ourselves" is perhaps the most extreme understatement ever.
We melted someone's fast AFTER they surrendered.

That's like if someone broke into your house, you pointed a gun at them and they got on their knees with their hands up, then you shoot their legs and throw them out.

It's a lot more like someone broke into your house and killed kidnapped your daughter, then you showed up with a gun, they surrendered and you shot their legs and threw them out.

FTFY
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 10, 2015, 11:15:58 pm »

Previous

Appear to Eve in a dream.  Tell her of what happened in the village, and tell her we will protect her mother and her people while she is off to war.  Tell her she did well, and that we are proud of her.  Tell her that when she is well enough to hunt, find a fox and sacrifice it to us - from the ashes she will find a single, pure strand of fire, a hair from the Goddess of War herself.  Tell her to string her bow with this strand, and know that all that she has, she has because she earned it.

Also, go spy on Gezaru while we wait on Eve.  That little bugger is more than he seems - I wouldn't be surprised if he had a Patron too...
+1

How exactly did we break reality?

You wait until Eve falls asleep and decide to spy on Gezaru in the meantime. He is in his own private tent. Several maps lie in a neat grid on the floor and on his cot. He is studying them and muttering to himself between breaths. He is thinner than before, a little taller. Stubble has sprouted unchecked on his cheeks and chin. His nose his sharp, his eyes are small and searching. You notice his hands are rough and scarred and do not tremble anymore. He is still of short stature and his limbs are still thin, but you sense a strength beneath his flesh, not his own but passed down. Like the color of his eyes or the lobes of his ears.

Suddenly the muttering intensifies and he begins to crumple the maps in a flash fury. Then he begins to weep, silent, with his eyes covered and his tears falling into his palms. He wipes his nose and eyes with the back of his hand and restores the map. A man comes into his tent, well-groomed and dressed in metal armor.
"How goes it Gezaru of the Madu?"
"General Ilkid! I-"
"Do you have a moment Gezaru or have I...interrupted you?" He looks around at the maps. Gezaru springs up and begins rolling the maps up opening a space for the general to sit.
"Excuse the mess sir - please" Gezaru gestures to a chair now free of paper and several of the maps in his arms fall to the floor. Ilkid sits and bends over and grabs one of the maps.
"Hmm? This is a map of Adech. Where did you get this?"
"My father's sir, all of these. I...borrowed them when I left."
"Ah! That would explain it. And these markings on the side?"
"My father's notes. They are encoded, magically, so only a Madu can read them"
"Intriguing." He hands back the map to Gezaru and the latter sits down on the bed.
"Well sir, what did you want to speak to me about?"
"Tell me something Gezaru, did you really see that opening in the enemy's camp?"
"I did sir, yes. Why do you ask?"
"No reason, no reason. Just curious." You see a stocky bald man materialize in front of you. Its George. He raises his eyebrows in recognition of you, then brings a finger to his lips.
"Is that all sir?"
"No...there is one other thing. Its a personal question, I hope you don't mind me asking it?"
"Not at all sir."
"Are you engaged to anyone Gezaru?" Gezaru changes color a few times in a space of several seconds before answering.
"Um, engaged sir?"
"Yes, someone at home perhaps? A childhood sweetheart, or something previously arranged?"
"No sir, none that I can think of." Gezaru's voice cracks a little. He clears his throat. "Um, why do you ask sir?"
"Well...I have a daughter you see, and shes getting to that age. And given your performance so far...well - if it continues you might be in a position to take her hand. So I was just curious." Gezaru's different shades of red could put a chameleon to shame.
"Sir, I-I'm flattered but-"
"Ah so you do have someone?"
"Well...not...exactly." George snickers.
"Well no matter, such things can always be discussed after the present trouble. Do keep it in mind, however, Gezaru."
"Yes sir. I will sir." Ilkid nods and leaves the tent. Gezaru blinks a few times then sits down, brings the maps to his face not really looking at them.

"Cute isn't he?" George looks fondly at Gezaru. "And an excellent liar. He'll make a great leader one day."
"Liar?"
"Oh yes, you didn't catch it?"
"No."
"He didn't spot any opening. It was Suha and he knows it." George laughs and wipes away an invisible tear. "Ah the antics of mortals never cease to amuse me."
"So he stole Suha's credit?"
"Hey now, its not stealing if Suha is a subordinate is it? Besides, the right flank fell because Gezaru chose to take that risk. Had he failed, you think Suha would be walking to the gallows? Lies have their own punishments."
"Is he one of yours?"
"One of mine? Dear heavens little god, no! He is a candidate to be a candidate. A fair ways from my benediction. No, my sister looks after him." He sees your surprise and smiles. "Oho, you didn't know! Interesting, interesting. I could tell you the details." He looks nonchalantly at his nails. "For a price of course."
"I am not at liberty to give much at the moment."
"Oh yes, I'm well aware of the scolding my father gave you. But I'm not my half-sister, or that cold one, Muta. I'm a simple god, with simple needs."
"What then?"
"There will be a council soon, of the gods. You may be called. Support me when that time comes."
"And in exchange?"
"I'll tell you my sisters dealings with this mortal."
"What is purpose of this council?" George's face darkens.
"Judgement."

WDYD?

Next
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:03:10 pm by bahihs »

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 10, 2015, 11:27:53 pm »

Could he tell us what he wants our support for?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 10, 2015, 11:39:09 pm »

Aren't we already in his debt?  He dug Eve out of slavery back when we were too weak.  (George is god of lies, isn't he?  He's been friendly enough to us, but...he's the god of lies.  I'm not sure we should trust him 100%)

Also, can you compile an index for the story in the Master Post, to make reading easier?

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 10, 2015, 11:40:19 pm »

Aren't we already in his debt?  He dug Eve out of slavery back when we were too weak.  (George is god of lies, isn't he?  He's been friendly enough to us, but...he's the god of lies.  I'm not sure we should trust him 100%)

That was Muta, God of Deals, not George.

And yes, I can do that (I need it myself occsionally). 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 11:44:48 pm by bahihs »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 10, 2015, 11:50:37 pm »

I am weary of becoming indebted to two many of fellow gods at once, I already owe one debt, two if you count your father saving me from falling into the abyss of nothingness. but I am intrigued, who is being judged, and for what? what do you need my support for?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 11, 2015, 12:14:17 am »

I am weary of becoming indebted to two many of fellow gods at once, I already owe one debt, two if you count your father saving me from falling into the abyss of nothingness. but I am intrigued, who is being judged, and for what? what do you need my support for?

We already owe him a debt, afaik?  He prevented us from forfeiting the bet with his sister.  I say we provide him our support, but ask what it is exactly we are doing.  If nothing else, he's one of the only gods who hasn't been scolding us for one thing or another.  I like George even if his motivations are suspect.

Also, bahihs, a list of the Known Gods and their Spheres would be nice!

Promise George our support in the Council...for however little it may be worth.  We should definitely tell him we owe Muta a favor, though.  If nothing else, he'll provide some insight about this deal we'd made with that devil.

Resolve to gain good will with Gezaru in the future.  Yes, he's a bit fumbling, but he means well, even if he is under the War Goddess's influence.  He can be a useful ally, and we could certainly use a couple of those.

Check on Suha.  He's a powerful lad, even if he's without birthright. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:21:09 am by evictedSaint »

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 11, 2015, 12:55:08 am »

Also, bahihs, a list of the Known Gods and their Spheres would be nice!

Yup, I updated the main thread with a list of the cast (mortal and immortal) and an index of the main posts.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 11, 2015, 02:24:51 am »

Yup, I updated the main thread with a list of the cast (mortal and immortal) and an index of the main posts.

Eve and Gezaru are kin? o.O

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 11, 2015, 06:26:40 pm »

How about a simple, I will support you unless it involves a previous commitment.

Just so we get out of going against Muta or defending eve or something.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 11, 2015, 07:17:30 pm »

Refuse. We have no idea what we're getting ourselves into and the information he's offering isn't important or relevant at all.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 11, 2015, 07:57:24 pm »

I for one just want to see what happens when some poor sap of a god receives judgement. LET THEM ALL BURN!
Make the deal.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 11, 2015, 09:49:55 pm »

Previous

"I shall support you when the time comes, you have my word."
"Excellent!"
"Though I am curious - what do you want my support for?"
"I cannot discuss it just yet, rest assured it is far disconnected from your concerns."
"As for Gezaru?"
"Ah yes, the young Madu. He is under my sister's watch, as all Madu are."
"He's cared for by Ishtar?"
"Ishtar? No no, my sister, not my half-sister. Inkis, my twin. Goddess of Song and Poetry"
"I see..."
"Yes, the war makes her extra vigilant, and my brother-in-law is not fond of it, but there it is."
"Is he a patron of hers?"
"Well, something like that. Though I'd rather not bore you with my family history. Suffice it to say she cares for him. She can do little in such circumstances, but then the Madu are drawn to violence (a gift from my brother-in-law) and she has, by consequence, become quite resourceful."
"That's a strange pair up don't you think?"
"Not at all, at least, not if you knew the history of the Madu. But now, I am running late. I hope I've satisfied your queries?"
"One last question, has your sister helped Gezaru thus far?"
"I'm sure she has, in whatever way she can, but if you're asking whether his accomplishments are divinely inspired, my sister does not have the power nor the freedom for such generosity. Her husband keeps a close eye on her, you see. And again, there isn't much she can do here." And with that he dissipates as before. You watch Gezaru for a few more moments, then he goes back to his maps and you decide to go check on Eve. Eve is sleeping. You appear in her dream and show her your deeds regarding her mother. Then you tell her to sacrifice to you as before, and that you will reward her for the completion of your former request. She awakes still in pain. It is dark. She tries to move but her wounds throb. She lies back down trying to control the pain.

"So you're a woman?" She almost jumps up at the voice. A figure approaches from the entrance. Its Gezaru. "I suppose I should have known." Eve says nothing. He drags a seat by Eve's bed and sits down. He hasn't yet noticed Eve is awake. Eve closes her eyes and pretends to sleep. He whispers in her ear, but really speaks to himself. "Don't worry. I won't say anything. You're too valuable a soldier to lose, anyway." He sighs. "I wonder what would've happened if you hadn't covered that flank and took out the cavalry." He pauses and you can see perspiration on his face and lips. He swallows. "I don't know what I'm doing Abel. I'm not cut out for this. I'm not. I'm not. I'm afraid to go out. I can't eat. I can't sleep." He pauses again. "I can smell them." He swallows again. "In my clothes and hands. In my mouth. I know their names. I know their faces. The way they spoke, the way they chewed their meals, their goofs, their gambols. Kuzi, you know Kuzi? He has this loping way of walking, like a giraffe. Stiff legged. Or Tana, god, did you know he wrote poetry? Puts my own to shame. By far, by far. Or Isagon - he has three children and a wife and a farm with chickens. Never ate eggs, got sick of them he said. Or Annik or Ditu or Alsha or Khalam or Nabura or-or-" He swallows and wipes his eyes. "They handed me their lives. And I lost them." He weeps silently for a while. Eve says nothing. "Why me, Abel? They promote me and tell me I was daring. They tell me how great I am, how ingenious. Ilkid even offered his daughter to me as an incentive!" His voice changes - harsh and savage. "It was Suha who saw. Not I. But they look to me because my name is Madu. Curse that name! I lost thirty men, will my name bring them back?" He wrings his hands. "Is this war? Did my fore-fathers enjoy this so much? The stench and the blood and the screaming. And the dogs and the crows after. What separates a man from a meal? I keep thinking about it, but in the end what is it? Even the strong die. Nabiu had arms size of cabbages. We had to piece him together for his grave. They couldn't find his arms. They looked. I looked. We couldn't find them. The wise die too, the old and the young. Sumisu - he was a kid, I mean a goddamn child." Eve's ears perk at this name. "His face was caved in from the marching soldiers. They had to bury him face down so they didn't have to look at his face. He had a mother at home, all the family he has in the world. He was telling me about it once, some girl lead them to safety after their village was pillaged by a neighbor. And now he's dead. He's not old enough to be dead. Not nearly." Eve heart sinks as she realizes Ningal's family line has come to an abrupt end. "I want to run away. I really do. Because how I will face their mothers, Abel? Or Their sisters, or their daughters, their sons, their fathers? Their wives? What will I say? 'I saw them getting slain and pressed on' or 'He died in battle, it was glorious death', or 'It was for the greater good' oh the other lieutenants love that one. In their mind, perhaps, its all mathematics, perhaps that is the endgame of all this. Its not for me. But I am a Madu." He sighs. He stays in silence for a while. Then gets up and leaves.

You decide to leave Eve to her thoughts and check on Suha for a bit. He is in the main barracks with the other men. He is cleaning his boots and helmet. The others sleeping or nervously playing dice. Suha has a vacant look as he scrubs the shoes, not really paying attention to his work.
"Oy Suha! Suuuuha. Geez he's out." One of the dice players approach Suha and touch his shoulder, Suha reflexively grabs the man's wrist and twists it. "Woah, its me! Relax." He releases the arm.
"What?"
"Nothing man. Geez. Just wanted to know if you wanted to play."
"No. I'm busy."
"Come on, what's with you? You ok?"
"I'm fine. Go back to your game" The man shrugs and returns to the dice. Suha continues scrubbing his boots.

Next
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:03:49 pm by bahihs »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 12, 2015, 01:30:47 am »

follow plot hook,

say to suha "what troubles you?"
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 12, 2015, 01:31:22 am »

Well damn.

There's not much we can do for the moment, beyond keeping an eye on these three mortals.
  • Eve must rest.
  • Gezaru must find his own strength.
  • Suha has his own demons to fight.

I guess we should just wait until something comes up?  Maybe meditate on what we've learned?  Eve is a Madu, and so is Gezaru.  That may prove to be significant, especially if the prophecy about Madu's being drawn to bloodshed is true.  The Gods are plotting, and I suspect the war might be related. 

OOC, the naming conventions suggest we're somewhere in the middle east, maybe Arabia.  Eve's father, a Madu, was working on some sort of plot to oppose the gods with someone named Azumah, in which Eve is involved somehow.  It's not entirely unlikely that we were brought into creation through some machination involved in this plot.  There are a lot of puzzle pieces here, and some of them only half-fit together.  It's incredibly intriguing. >:T

EDIT:  I'm p sure we all know what is bothering Suha (whose name, coincidentally, is Arabic for "forgotten, overlooked," referencing the star "Al-Suha" of the Big Dipper (and is also a feminine name!)).  Regardless, maybe we should follow him a bit, then slip into his dreams and speak with him once he sleeps.  Do we know his lineage?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:36:26 am by evictedSaint »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 47