Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who's your least favorite/most hated character?

Akhentef
- 1 (5.9%)
Muta
- 9 (52.9%)
Nameless Ant-god
- 3 (17.6%)
Sumidu (Muta's father)
- 0 (0%)
Gezaru
- 0 (0%)
General Ilkid
- 1 (5.9%)
George
- 2 (11.8%)
Azumah
- 1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 47

Author Topic: You Are a Minor God  (Read 104374 times)

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are a Minor God
« Reply #480 on: October 24, 2015, 05:02:25 pm »

Previous

Elsewhere...

"Father, you called me?"
"I did indeed, my beloved son. Are you ready for the upcoming council?"
"You need not worry father, I have prepared everything accordingly."
"Excellent. It is well that I can depend upon you Muta, as you know, my interference in these matters..."
"-would be too heavy-handed. I understand perfectly." The great god of grain smiles and nods his wizened head.
"Sometimes I fear you understand too much, Muta. Go and call your mother, I must speak with her." Muta's face, cold and noble, let slip the mask for a few moments at the mention of mother. He frowned ever so slightly. Then the mask came back on. He bowed politely and went away.

"Nabaalu, come to me." A winged man, with cloven feet like a horse's, materialized out of the sunshine.
"My lord, you called?"
"Did you deliver my message to the mortal?"
"I did my lord, Akhentef has agreed to the deal."
"And his wife?"
"Her blood stains the altars."
"Good. Give him my blessing." The winged man bowed, then leaped off into the clouds, vanishing beneath the blue. Muta watched him fly for a few moments, then continued his walk.
"You have a thing for pretty young wives do you? I wonder where it comes from." Muta stopped.
"You are not supposed to be here Azumah. Know your place."
"Yes. Yes. I only came to check upon things."
"Hmph. You doubt my abilities?"
"I doubt your sincerity."
"So long as you deliver what you promised-"
"-and I shall-"
"Then let there be no doubt in your mind."
"And the girl?"
"I had her guardian ensnared from the beginning. No trouble there. What exactly are you planning Azumah? It is unseemly, even for yourself, to break your word."
"Ha! Spoken like a true god. The girl will be safe, of course. As I promised."
"Relying upon semantics? Tut tut, you've lost your touch."
"Well you'd know all about powerlessness wouldn't you? Half-god."
"What did you say?"
"Hmph. I'll leave you to fetch your mother" The last word was intoned with flesh-stripping sarcasm. Muta did not bat an eye, but his hands instinctively made a fist. Azumah vanished into shadow.
"You shall eat those words, one day," Muta muttered.

--------------------------------

"Who is Arlore? I've never heard him."
"He is my God. The God of Rabbits."
"A strange domain." Eve gives him a look. "Uhh-but a noble one, I'm sure."
"He has protected me these many years. My mother too." They walk in silence a while. "Were you really going to kill me?"
"...I don't know. I lost my head. I think-its just...never mind."
"What?"
"Its nothing."
"You can tell me. I'm pretty good at keeping secrets, you know." They share a smile. Then he nods and frowns.
"I don't think I've ever been in control of my own life. Everywhere I go, it seems my life has already been written down on clay. 'This is Suha, this is how was to be, this is what he was to do. He powerless in all that he attempted.'" Eve remembered the sight of her father being cut down, and the smell of burning flesh and being dragged against her will, to the chief's hut.
"I think I know what you mean."
"I wish it were not so, but it seems blood is the thing which determines one's place in the world."
"I think you're wrong."
"Oh?"
"The gods do not see by blood, but by devotion." He laughs loudly.
"Yes. Perhaps I should convert?"
"If you did, you might be able to outrun me once in a while." He does not laugh. She gets worried. He stops. She stops. He holds up a hand for silence. They listen. They hear some chatter. in the distance, the sound of chains and metal armor and the clop of horses. A line of men moving through the woods comes into view. They are well armed, at least ten of them, armored in bronze. The two in front are on horseback, leading the others. Several of them have bows. Behind them, in double-file, are chained men. Prisoners of war. You and Eve watch as one of the prisoners falls to the ground. He has no flesh on him, all bones. He moans for water. One of the soldiers kicks his stomach. Another says something in an unknown tongue. Eve recognizes the language, from her training. They are men of the west, from the harsh desert sands.
"Just leave him. Dead weight anyway." And the soldier presses his foot down on the prisoner's neck.
"Might as well kill him then. Could be trouble you know."
"That's fair." Then one of the soldier's unsheathes his sword and steps forward. Eve tries to rush forward but Suha holds her back. He points to his eyes then far into the distance. Eve focuses her exceptional vision in the direction Suha points, and her heart sinks. These men are only an advanced scouting party. Far behind the prisoners, in the distant hills, are a mass of warriors, so thick, they are like swarming ants. Interspersed among them are enormous 4 footed creatures with long tusks and longer noses.
"Elephants," Eve murmurs in wonder.

WDYD? 

Next
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:06:39 pm by bahihs »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 24, 2015, 05:09:28 pm »

Rabbitty messengers to the defenders?
Pygmy rabbits to panic the elephants?
(I don't know if that will work though.)
Rabbits sneak into their camps and take their stuff at night?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 24, 2015, 05:22:39 pm »

I personally think we can start to extend our domain to include fire, considering our existing abilities.
So it'd be a good idea to include some of that in our actions, maybe?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 24, 2015, 05:27:03 pm »

Yes.   Fire will cleanse these foul creatures from the earth.
Tell Eve to set a fire and get out of there.   Then steer the flames to the army, preferably sparing the POWs and any genuinely good people amongst them.  They shall find rabbits.  Grant both Eve and Suha speed boosts to flee with.
If we have the power for this.
Maybe a rabbitty figure in the smoke.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 24, 2015, 05:28:03 pm »

I highly doubt we can do that. We once used fire to burn a single person's face and almost disappeared from existence.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 24, 2015, 05:30:02 pm »

I highly doubt we can do that. We once used fire to burn a single person's face and almost disappeared from existence.
It's not quite the same, though.  We're leveraging existing fire, not creating new fire.  Wood burns well naturally.  As does brush.  And this land does not seem humid.
Sigtext

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 25, 2015, 03:10:34 am »

That is actually a fair idea, if they start a series of fires we can alter probability a bit to allow them to catch and turn into a wildfire.  At a minimum it will delay the army enough for the generals to be warned and make a decision to form up or flee.

If the land is too wet right now scratch that idea.

Alternatively if they get away now without being seen then maybe the army can set up an ambush.  We could help hide their sounds and movements as they escape, feet missing branches and grass swaying just right to conceal and such.  Not like invisibility just good luck.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 25, 2015, 04:58:30 am »

Idea: Eve does her job as a scout and reports the advance and her allies don't get slaughtered.

As for the slave...I don't think we can save him.  Maybe we can ease his pain, suffering, and passing?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 25, 2015, 11:50:42 am »

Idea: Eve does her job as a scout and reports the advance and her allies don't get slaughtered.

As for the slave...I don't think we can save him.  Maybe we can ease his pain, suffering, and passing?
Turn him into a rabbit upon death. actualy, we could probably only swing that for our own followers, and only if they called out to us on death. +1 anyways
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 25, 2015, 11:52:48 am »

Give the POW a compassionate rabbit to cuddle?
Sigtext

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 26, 2015, 07:16:27 pm »

-1 to all fire ideas. We'll probably die this time. Actually die this time. Even leveraging existing fire is still reality breaking, you don't normally see giant tongues of fire leaping from anywhere, even pre-existing fires.

Ways to not break reality:
Work through something natural.
IE:
Ancient people used to believe that volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, etc were the result of a god's disfavor, but they are all natural occurrences that could occur even on a semi-frequent basis.
What would be a *non* semi-frequent basis?
Apollo, in his rage over a temple of his being destroyed, sends giant columns of sunlight down, instantly frying all in their path!
That has, in fact, never happened. Earthquakes, eruptions, tsunamis, they all happen naturally, and are less reality bending to use because you're just priming a force that could already occur.

Thus, controlling the flames, even of fires Eve or Suha have built, is very reality bending. You cannot simply just, in effect, breathe fire at your enemies. If I started a fire in my backyard firepit and tongues of fire began reaching for me I may just die of shock. Because that's not something that happens, and it therefore bends or even breaks reality. And doing such things kills us, or even any god, no matter how strong they are, if they overdo it. And last time for us, overdoing it was lighting a single woman on fire and controlling a small ball of flame floating above them. Doing what has been suggested WILL probably kill us.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 26, 2015, 07:20:08 pm »

Yeah, but we can manipulate fire.
You're taking "reality breaking" a bit seriously. Because really, everything we're doing is reality breaking. Even natural disasters caused by us are reality breaking. What external stimuli are we giving them? How is it coming from nowhere? How's that different from using a fire leveraging ability that we already have and have confirmed we can use?

EDIT: I do agree that we should be careful with fire, but I still think we should try working it in more in the future.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:23:36 pm by Chiefwaffles »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 26, 2015, 07:21:32 pm »

-1 to doing fire stuff more extreme that what we did with the woman.

Tell Eve to do her job and report in as a scout.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 26, 2015, 08:07:02 pm »

"Reality" has a very specific meaning, which I will later elaborate on, in-game. For now, Icefire is more or less correct in his interpretation of the rules. The key here is perception. I'll leave it at that.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 26, 2015, 08:30:39 pm »

"Reality" has a very specific meaning, which I will later elaborate on, in-game. For now, Icefire is more or less correct in his interpretation of the rules. The key here is perception. I'll leave it at that.
So, we need to frame it the right way.
...Hmm.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 47