Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who's your least favorite/most hated character?

Akhentef
- 1 (5.9%)
Muta
- 9 (52.9%)
Nameless Ant-god
- 3 (17.6%)
Sumidu (Muta's father)
- 0 (0%)
Gezaru
- 0 (0%)
General Ilkid
- 1 (5.9%)
George
- 2 (11.8%)
Azumah
- 1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 47

Author Topic: You Are a Minor God  (Read 104432 times)

Bluexdog

• Bay Watcher
  • Most likely in the RTD section
    • View Profile
Re: You Are a Minor God
« Reply #645 on: February 12, 2016, 03:40:28 pm »

So, either ask about what is under the mountains or if there is anything else we can do to help her or her husband out in the area we operate in.

Or maybe the nature of sacrifice in the world?  Some of the points Eve brought up about sacrificing the goods and lives of others rang true to me.
+1
No sig yet

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 18, 2016, 07:31:20 pm »

bump

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 15, 2016, 10:23:44 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, either ask about what is under the mountains or if there is anything else we can do to help her or her husband out in the area we operate in.

Or maybe the nature of sacrifice in the world?  Some of the points Eve brought up about sacrificing the goods and lives of others rang true to me.

Questions swim in your head, but time is short. You decide to ask about sacrifice, Akhentef was obsessed with it and it is an integral part of being a god, some more information couldn't hurt.

"What is the nature of sacrifice?"
"A difficult question and its answer too long for our short time."
"My apologies I-"
"I will say this...sacrifice...is a matter of perspective. The powerful gods, whose worshipers are many and devoted, have forgotten this. The mortals sacrifice for us - to us - they empower us by their thoughts and their devotion, but we gods also sacrifice. Or we used to, when we were young, when the mortals made homes close to our homes and we loved them as they loved us and as we now love ourselves. The greatest mistake is to believe that sacrifice is a transaction or a currency, for that is not where true power lies. It lies...it lies in what seems unfair and cruel, but that is only because we cannot see as the fabric sees. But, peace, our time is up and I must ask you to take your leave. Until we meet again, Arlore of the Rabbits, may the fabric bend to you, but never break."
"And also to you my lady. Good bye."

And with that, you find yourself at the surface again without any idea how you got back up there. It seems like no time has passed at all, it is still dark and the moon is in the same place as it was before. Out the corner of your eye you spot a line of ants marching to a mound in the sands. Perhaps the Ant-god wishes to meet you after all? Or should you do something else - like search for the disgraced god of light?

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 15, 2016, 11:46:34 am »

Let's go meet the ant god.
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

Bluexdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 15, 2016, 02:48:28 pm »

No sig yet

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 15, 2016, 05:41:54 pm »

+1

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 15, 2016, 08:44:05 pm »

Still open?

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 16, 2016, 02:30:14 am »

Let's go meet the ant god.
+1

You feel a strange calling to the ant-god. You decide to follow the ants to their hill and see if they will lead you to him. He seems to have the answers to all of the questions, though you doubt he will tell you. Nevertheless you must seek him, you feel something like a...kinship with him. Why? You know not.

You stand over the mound of ants, looking into the hole. Suddenly you feel very sleepy, your eyes become like stones. You fall asleep. When you awake, your are in a small clearing in the woods. Before you is the throne of the Ant-god, wrought in cloud-colored bronze but rusted and red. And atop the throne, the Ant-god, with one hand upon his hidden cheek. The hand is horribly burnt - crippled beyond repair. You get quickly to your feet.

"I've been expecting you Fluffy - ah forgive me - its Arlore now isn't it? You are welcome here minor god." His speech causes your skin to crawl as before, but as before you feel again a sense of intense belonging, a familiarity you cannot place. You have met this god only once, yet it feels you have known him forever...
"Nameless One of the Ants, I thank you for your hospitality. I am curious, how did you come to know that name? Few there are who know it, or so I thought."
"And you thought right! As for how I know, that is not something I can tell you. You will come to know it eventually anyhow. Now then Arlore, I know you have questions and answers I shall give you. But I wish to tell you something before we start." You are caught off-guard by the Ant-god's matter-of-fact attitude, but he seems sincere, so you listen.
"Please, go on."
"Give up your quest for power. Take your avatar far away from this place. Let her go with her first one - Suha was it? Let them leave this place forever, follow her and give her a good life. Then perhaps fade away. But quit this ambition for absolute power." Now you're really floored, as far as you know you never told anyone about your ambitions. Who *is* this ant-god?
"I-I don't understand. How do you know all this?"
"That is irrelevant, minor god." He sighs. "Well, I already know you won't listen. Power. Power! What is it to be powerful? What boon to you, rabbit-god? There is no solace in power. No victory...but you have questions, and I, I have answers. So ask."

Truly an enigma, this ant-god, but he seems wise and knowledgeable. What will you ask him?

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 16, 2016, 05:30:20 am »

We should ask him what happened in the meeting, we thought the vow killed him or something and we were worried!

also say that if he thinks is best, we'll take our Avatar and all her followers away. We'll try to, anyway. Not sure if we have enough power to really convince them or not, though.

And we'd really prefer to not fade away. Though our quest for Absolute power can probably be given up and we can seek reasonable power instead.

Romans

• Bay Watcher
  • More of an abstract Concept
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 16, 2016, 05:44:56 am »

I think more of a place in the world is what we wanted, but yes what happened in the meeting. And what is in the mountain, also why do we know him kind of??
Crazy??I was crazy once they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy?? I was crazy once, they put me in a room, a rubber room, with rats. I hate rats, they drive me crazy......Crazy??

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 16, 2016, 07:26:37 pm »

We want power for the sake of Eve.  The world is dangerous and cruel, and we've seen before what happens when we're to weak to protect her.  It's pretty fuckin' presumptuous of Antman to assume why we want power or whether it's useful and to tell us we should give up, all from his god damn throne.  If Eve chooses to go with Suha and give up the throne we promised her, then so be it. We're with her 100% of the way.  But holy fuck does this guy have some assumptions about what we want or should do.

Bluexdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 16, 2016, 07:45:41 pm »

We want power for the sake of Eve.  The world is dangerous and cruel, and we've seen before what happens when we're to weak to protect her.  It's pretty fuckin' presumptuous of Antman to assume why we want power or whether it's useful and to tell us we should give up, all from his god damn throne.  If Eve chooses to go with Suha and give up the throne we promised her, then so be it. We're with her 100% of the way.  But holy fuck does this guy have some assumptions about what we want or should do.
+1
No sig yet

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 16, 2016, 08:42:05 pm »

+1
+1

We promised Eve that Throne.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 17, 2016, 09:52:16 pm »

+1
+1

1+

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 18, 2016, 05:31:24 pm »

+1
+1

1+

"If I want power, it is only for my worshipers. Once, I stood by while the torrents of the world flooded my people, uprooted them. But never again. Never again shall I stand powerless. Never again shall I watch in inaction. Never bend my knee to seek the favors of stronger gods. What do you know of me Ant-god? You assume much, how much do you actually- why do you laugh?"

"Not at you my friend, I assure you. Only at the nature of the fabric, and perhaps at the irony of my own misfortune." Though you cannot see his face, you can somehow feel that he wears a bitter smile and a pit grows in your stomach - not of guilt, for you regret nothing you have said, but something akin to pity or empathy. "Listen Arlore, the whims of mortals are fickle. Your intentions are noble but be warned at lending ear to mortal qualms, the hands of the gods (here he lifts his crippled limb) must never bend to the wills of men." He sits upright and leans forward. "And as for what I know of you..." He sighs. "You shall know in time."

"I only want the power to protect my followers, is that not what a god does? Is that not what a god *is*, a shepherd for his people; a guardian?"
"Do you know the story of Sheshbaalu?"
"What? Look just-"
"I'm trying to answer your question, Arlore. Do you know the story of Sheshbaalu?" You sigh.
"No."
"Hmm. I can tell you that story, it is relevant to your question, and moreover it is relevant to the lineage of your sibyl. But it is not a short tale, you will not have time for other questions. Will you hear it, still?"

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 47