Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My heroic kittens  (Read 9394 times)

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My heroic kittens
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »

You can make cat fortress now.  Or at least Crazy Cat Lady Fortress.

Send in your 7 dwarves as usual, except sell off an axe or two (you should get more than enough wood from the wagons) taking only a moderate amount of food and ale, and spend the rest of your money on cats.  

Have your miners dig out a bedroom, a dining room, and an area for a few workshops, and then head for the river.  Meanwhile, have your dwarfs build a bed, a chest, a cabinet, a throne, a table, and a whole bunch of doors. Oh, and at least 6 coffins.  If your mason, carpenter and miners are skilled it will help things go more smoothly, and leave her with nice furniture.  Keep the access to the river narrow enough that it can easily be blocked with doors, and then send everyone but the cat lady over to the river, and lock the doors behind them.  Your miners can continue to dig out along the river bank, creating space for herbs to grow and perhaps a little nile farming, but keep the space long and narrow along the bank, so that everyone gets washed into the river during the summer flood.

Your cat lady will need to have all the skills (or at least the jobs) necessary to survive on her own.  Having Herbalism, Cooking, and Brewing at high skill levels will make it easier to keep her fed and happy.  You could also give her some optional skills like Fishing, weaving, cloth working, and other skills you think may be useful in the long run, but be prepared to turn the jobs on and off manually, so she doesn't spend all her time catching fish and then gets mad because there is no ale.  Some skill in masonry would probably help too, since she'll need to build more coffins if the cats start to die off.  Arranging to keep an axe and a pick with her may be helpful in the long run.  Obviously the cat lady doesn't actually need to be female, but he or she should like cats.  You want the cat lady to be safe, happy and self-sufficient, so that the cats will be happy.

Failure to build a trade depot should keep any caravans sitting on the west edge of the map, out of the way.  Or you can trade with them, or even build traps to destroy them, it doesn't really matter.  Immigrants can be a bigger problem, you don't want a bunch of smelly dwarfs cluttering up the cat fortress!  You can either try to keep them out with locked-but-pet-accessible doors, or lock them next to the river to get swept away by flooding, or even build a drowning room for them.  Whatever.  If sieges get to be a problem, just move the cat lady across the river, and then retract or destroy the bridge.

Your feline population should grow at a good rate, until you have hundreds of cats and a lone dwarf living happily in their oft miasma'd splendor.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »

I didn't knew that you could make creatures (other than dwarfs) have and use skills...

but if YOU know how to do this in raws then enlighten me, and maybe others too

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 12:37:00 am »

Yeah, animals are awesome.

Today, a dwarf child was stolen by goblin thieves.
I saw a goblin was surrouned by 5 dogs/puppies, later I saw a goblin head on the ground. Oh, I feel sorry for that poor creature. But amazing enough, 3 of my war dogs were hurt, one of hurt badly(some yellow wound)!

Finally I found the stolen child and another goblin corpse on the road between river and fortress gate. I don't know who killed it. Some human swordmen were guarding their wagons, maybe...

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 02:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rooster:
But if YOU know how to do this in raws then enlighten me, and maybe others too[/QB]

Me knows how to do it in raws a lil.

Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 11:48:00 am »

Hi!

Today, I really would have loved to walk up in front of my dwarves and bring in a cartoon quote: "Now, you 've all got some explaining to do!"

While trading with the elven merchants, I noticed that in one of my finished goods bins, there were:

cat bone ear ring
cat bone bracelet
cat skull totem

I am not amused ...

Deathworks

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

Hehe, looks like your dwarves have been scavenging your dead cats for bones for trading hehe.

Grey Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 02:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deathworks:
<STRONG>
While trading with the elven merchants, I noticed that in one of my finished goods bins, there were:

cat bone ear ring
cat bone bracelet
cat skull totem

I am not amused ...

Deathworks</STRONG>

Their just creating relics of the honourable dead. look, a Skull totem means that they are begining to worship cat.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 08:02:00 pm »

Rooster: Completely untested but I believe all you would need to do is put [INTELLIGENT] in their raw entry.  [CANLEARN] might do it too without giving them the ability to talk in adv mode.

Again this is just theroy, it should work but I haven't taken the time to test it.
I'm learning the modding as I need it and haven't needed to use those tokens much yet.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 04:11:00 am »

Hi!

Now that my double-engraving is finally back on track, I have noticed something:

No cat engravings! Even though I have cats who have earned a name by killing kobold thieves, there are no engravings of the incident! No kobold thief engravings and no cat engravings.

Instead I get wolf kills dog engravings, and dog falls engravings (the latter is probably that incompetent mutt that fell into a channel and drowned when trying to attack racoons on the other side of the channel - without the racoons anything doing to the dog).

This is kind of irritating ...

Deathworks

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 04:49:00 am »

I must say that is hilarious. Almost as funny as my nine dwarves set to wrestling going after a Giant Toad in the middle of my base. They were all in nearly Full Steel armor and had no skill in wrestling.

And I like my wardogs, they have caused me no problems and have helped me kill things, well, helped by walking towards the troll as my "machine guns" took him out.

Darkchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

War dogs make good arrow catchers. I like assigning them all to one hapless peasant when the siege starts and then activating him after they all congregate to die in a blaze of glory (with a train of dogs and of course crossbowmen right behind). Helps save those heavily armored and skilled melee dwarves from lucky crossbow bolts so you can use them against more worthy targets, like demons and dragons   :)

[ August 20, 2007: Message edited by: Darkchampion ]

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 03:37:00 am »

Hi!

I did some checking. I have way too many dog-lovers among my dwarves (well, I think one of my cat-loving dwarves died in an accident), and they seem to have taken all the engraving jobs. (It's a conspiracy, I tell you).

Anyway, after having been too lenient for a while, I have decided to turn the puppies that are being produced into something useful - dog leather bags.

Probably because of the poor cat I had to send away, my cats have stopped reproducing, so I have to import some from the humans (anyone know a fix for that bug if the creature in question is no longer in the fortress?).

And now I have a male cat who has already adopted a dwarf who got attacked by a cowardly kobold thief. The kobold pierced his left lung, destroying it and causing a serious wound to the upper body. The upper body has healed, but the red left lung won't. The cat is asking for medical assistance regularly, but no one cares (T_T). But as things are, there is really nothing I can do for him.

I was wondering, if elves are so much for life and so on, couldn't they offer healing services? You know, give them a nice big gem and ask them to heal that cat.

Deathworks

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 10:36:00 am »

:D What you get for killing off all your dogs.  :D

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 11:50:00 am »

quote:
I was wondering, if elves are so much for life and so on, couldn't they offer healing services? You know, give them a nice big gem and ask them to heal that cat.

They'll probably pass a comment about how you enslaved the poor cat and hurt it, and get offended.   ;)

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »

Hi!

I checked the forums, and Toady One said that there was a limit for 50 animals per species. I currently have more than 60 cats in my fortress, so I guess I have to wait until quite a number die of old age.

And I will get rid of all those mutts!

Deathworks

Pages: 1 [2] 3