Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41

Author Topic: BYOR 14 - Night 4: A Tie-ght Race  (Read 71972 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 14 - Night 4: A Tie-ght Race
« Reply #585 on: August 06, 2015, 07:34:05 am »

I think consistent roleplay can be fun and not necessarily aligment indicative. In the Toon Mafia game I kept up the Japanese honorifics (Tiruin-sama etc.) for the entire game.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 06, 2015, 07:35:27 am »

* Tiruin bops IO, then bops Lenglon o_o
Maaaybe us posts should be more malleable than expectation-focused? :) Move to understand instead of level expectations (lest that bring up defenses and stubbornness when all that's already unneeded since we're all cool dudesTM [Toaster, 2015]

I wouldn't have lynched Lenglon either way--because the essence of her posts, as the essence of all other posts within how I scumhunt, is what matters. She just has a different way of communication.

I think consistent roleplay can be fun and not necessarily aligment indicative. In the Toon Mafia game I kept up the Japanese honorifics (Tiruin-sama etc.) for the entire game.
Basically what this dude said. :3
...He was silly that way.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 06, 2015, 10:15:06 am »

I was also town, which I don't think suited my role at all.

You are Lucius, the Eternal (town). You may access Deadchat here: http://www.quicktopic.com/51/H/Ned4HZvVXp3TA

Deus Asmoth - Lucius, the Eternal
Unparalleled swordsman? Alright, no kills for you.

(Auto) Deathtouched: You have died once before. You have access to deadchat.
(Auto) Armor of Shrieking Souls: You are immune to kill actions. Any kill actions targeting you are revealed to all players, but not who used them.
(Night) Lash of Torment [target]: The target is unable to vote during the next Day Phase.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 06, 2015, 10:54:29 am »

And then I just redundant'd Shakerag forever.
This is amazing and I would have been really sad if I'd lynched or forced you to commit suicide for inspecting or refusing to inspect somebody.
That's hilarious.  Especially because it was extending my free revive window. 

I was kind of hoping for something that would have caused a bit more game-wide outrage, given the role name I sent in.  Oh well.

If webadict isn't dead and comes back to run another BYOR, I think I'll submit something like "The BYOR 15 role that will fuck over everyone if it is killed before D4" because a lot of you are getting all "let's kill Shakerag early because wah wah he's sarcastic" or "let's kill Shakerag early because he's potentially disruptive" and this will totally backfire on you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 06, 2015, 11:07:36 am »

And then I just redundant'd Shakerag forever.
This is amazing and I would have been really sad if I'd lynched or forced you to commit suicide for inspecting or refusing to inspect somebody.
That's hilarious.  Especially because it was extending my free revive window. 

I was kind of hoping for something that would have caused a bit more game-wide outrage, given the role name I sent in.  Oh well.

If webadict isn't dead and comes back to run another BYOR, I think I'll submit something like "The BYOR 15 role that will fuck over everyone if it is killed before D4" because a lot of you are getting all "let's kill Shakerag early because wah wah he's sarcastic" or "let's kill Shakerag early because he's potentially disruptive" and this will totally backfire on you.
This is how you treat me protecting you? :'( Waaaaah

Though I do like how some abilities are extremely niche. There's a sort of imbalance there--but balanced by how the player uses them. But in many conflicting circumstances...'niche' seems like the best idea to some abilities, while others are generally useful everytime/all around.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 06, 2015, 11:34:58 am »

This is how you treat me protecting you? :'( Waaaaah
Um ... I'm sorry?  D:

I'll give you some candy!

* Shakerag beckons Tiruin over to an unmarked white van.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 06, 2015, 11:36:34 am »

Wait, two people were causing Shakerag to kill himself every night?

Amazing.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 06, 2015, 12:29:57 pm »

I decided to look back through the game to see how well communication worked between Lenglon and others, as this is turning into a Bay 12 reform debate in part and I know everyone's personal perceptions (my own included) are often completely and utterly wrong.

On one side, we have the narrative of Lenglon as incomprehensible, with routine communication failures.  On the other side, there's the narrative of everyone else as lazy and refusing to try to understand Lenglon, routinely demanding that she repeat her statements endlessly.  Both are unsubstantiated, and both I think came about as a result of one particular incident.

Aside from Irony's complaint, it is clear that Lenglon was both understandable and understood D1.  The occasional complaints were from annoyance instead of confusion, clear conversations were common, and I can personally understand everything Lenglon said that day (it hurts my eyes to do so, but I can do it).

Day 3 is when things fell apart momentarily.  This mess was posted.  At least after much demand and one reposting, she translated it to something actually comprehensible.  Even then, I cannot see how certain parts of the jargon dump became what they were translated to in the understandable version, or how any reasonable person could be expected to see those parts and understand them as intended.  Thing is, this and some awkward efforts of my teammates to defend Shamrock are the only cases of people having to repeatedly demand that Lenglon explain what she said that I see, and this is the only case that isn't just awkward defense failure.  Lenglon even recognized the TDS/Shamrock stuff for what it was.

So, basically, in the entire game, there was only one notable communication failure relating to Lenglon that I can see.  Only one.  Both major narratives are wrong, depending on widespread failures that weren't widespread.

As for roleplay, it's worth noting that we like it enough to have put a game in the Notable Games Archive primarily for one player's roleplaying: Bring Someone Else's Role.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 06, 2015, 03:27:00 pm »

One of my favourite mafia experiences was Solifuge's cat roleplay screens.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 06, 2015, 09:14:38 pm »

hmm.
okay, sorry. I was being over-defensive.
thank you Jack for putting things into perspective. You're absolutely right. I was over-reacting to an attack I was strongly expecting that never happened. that was wrong of me. my apologies.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 06, 2015, 10:01:46 pm »

So, basically, in the entire game, there was only one notable communication failure relating to Lenglon that I can see.  Only one.  Both major narratives are wrong, depending on widespread failures that weren't widespread.
It was still annoying as hell.  To the point where I pretty much just wanted to ignore Lenglon.

an attack I was strongly expecting that never happened.
Oh hey I can rise to meet your expectations if you'd like.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 06, 2015, 10:53:47 pm »

SO I was the one responsible for Shakerag's continual suicides.

No, actually, I was the one responsible for Shakerag's continual suicides.
This is amazing. I'm seriously happy now. It also explains why you backed down surprisingly quickly from the flavor inspect reveal.

Re: Lenglon, I agree with Jack that Lenglon's RPing wasn't a big deal except the relatively few occasions where she was incomprehensible.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 06, 2015, 11:29:34 pm »

One of my favourite mafia experiences was Solifuge's cat roleplay screens.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I loved them :3 And I love Jack's rationality.
*mouse hugs to Lenglon and the rest*
My role should've been 'B12 Mouse'

It was still annoying as hell.  To the point where I pretty much just wanted to ignore Lenglon.
EQ, kuya. :O

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41