Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Incredible Map  (Read 9760 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Incredible Map
« on: December 04, 2007, 05:06:00 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1616-ramsmiths

Just thought I'd share this, as it's the coolest map I've seen generated yet. Of significant interest are the magma vent, the river (and its source), the *really* neat 'amphitheater' cave lake, and visible deposits of platinum/gold/hematite/aluminum/et cetera. There's a lot of stuff of note on the other Z-levels as well, including a fourteen or fifteen-level drop from the cliffs to the south.

I have eventual plans of turning the lake into a huge coliseum/execution platform that'll drop unfortunates into the beastie-filled water below.   :D

[ December 04, 2007: Message edited by: Lord Dullard ]

Kurcaci

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Incredible Map
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 05:42:00 am »

The cave lake looks sweet!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 05:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kurcaci:
<STRONG>The cave lake looks sweet!</STRONG>

Indeed! As soon as I saw it, I thought of the lake in front of Khazad-dum. It's only appropriate that a huge dwarven city be built behind it.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 11:14:00 am »

need seed and location please

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »

I would very much like the seed of this. I have been looking for a map that has magma, a rover, AND trees.

Seed please!

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 07:14:00 pm »

Seed: 19860728 (Coincidentally, this is my birthday, which is why I tried it.) IIRC, you'll get this map after 13 rejections.

The area is.. one second, let me find it again. I'll have to create a duplicate copy of my DF folder so I can abandon the fort to get on to the world map..

Okay. The World segment you're looking for is third from the top, ninth from the left. It's a grey mountain square.

The region segment is at the intersection of two brooks and a river (it looks like a four-way, in reality it's two brooks and a river taking a curve) that looks ALMOST like a swastika.

The brooks are 'Skunkmelted the Breach of Vegetation' (huh?), 'The Whiteness of Tongs', and the river is 'The Illness of Pointing'. What you want is the grey mountain above and to the left of the intersection in the three-tile mountain range named The Horns of Paging.

You're going to see a magma vent, the river, and the forest if you've got the right square. The forest and magma vent are both in the upper right.

I made my fort 8x8; I realize this is pretty darn big, but you could easily squeeze the magma vent, the neat amphi-lake, and the river into a much smaller map segment that would also include the forest by necessity.

I would like to request that nobody posts any spoilers for this map, please. I don't use reveal.exe on my maps, and I don't want to know what goodies (or baddies) are buried here until I stumble on them myself. Of course, posting fortresses you build on to the map archives doesn't count.

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 09:06:00 pm »

Speaking of birthday seeds, a cursory glance at 19860314 has quite a few volcanoes, particularly up the left (west) side.  There's actually a few good sites (which I haven't looked any closer at) just above the "volcano" on the global view along the leftmost column.  Many of the volcanoes have vents in adjacent local tiles (and the better ones seem to be like that).

There are 14 rejections, coincidentally (the day of my birthday).

Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 10:35:00 pm »

So we've discovered a new form of divination, have we? RND-omancy: Predicting the future by entering your birthdate as a Dwarf Fortress map seed. "There's a magma vent in your future!"

chaswick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 10:58:00 pm »

And the world name generated (by me at least, I forget if that's fixed to the seed) is Buzong Olzul, The World of Legends.  I am not sure I will play anywhere else.
quot;@"@""i"

"A most unusual fungal rot," Mul observed, rubbing the greasy white mass between his gloved fingers.  It left a foul-smelling blue residue.

"But how can I get rid of it?" Doran said urgently.  "I''ve lost half of my crop to the blight al

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 11:12:00 pm »

Yup, that's the same world name I get.  :)

Verviticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 02:02:00 am »

Is it possible to get a picture of the starting location?  I'm not getting the same results; I got the name and such correct but I don't see the spot.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 02:18:00 am »

Sure.

Here you go.

The 8x8 block of 'dwarf settlement' is obviously where mine is.

[ December 05, 2007: Message edited by: Lord Dullard ]

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 03:00:00 am »

I wish the seed-passing worked correctly. Depending on your system you can get a completely different world using the same seed and random/chosen name as another person.  :(

I need to check and see whether/which raw-modification changes impact world generation some day. If so, seeds are even less likely to be worth passing around.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 05:56:00 am »

I used my birth seed (19850209) and found a named peak that is right against normal flatland, meaning I could build a fort on it!  The resulting map has OVER 100 (!!!) Z-levels, and cliffs over 30 levels tall.  Mind you, the dwarves decided to start their wagon halfway up, which places them 50 levels above any soil... e.e

Also, the exposed portions of the mountain have a LOT of gems, of many different types (except for rock crystal...), as well as abundant silver, and various other ores (Bismuth!  Sphalerite!!  Gold!)  Oh, and the soil at the base of the mountain is black sand.

You see before you a great mountain.  
It menaces with cliffs and spikes of silver.  
It is decorated with indigo tourmaline and bands of galena.
On the mountain is a engraving of a dwarf and staircases in mica.  The dwarf is surrounded by the staircases.  
On the mountain is an engraving of a dwarf and a staircase in violet spessartin.  The dwarf is making a plaintive gesture.  The staircase is laughing.  
On the mountain is an engraving of a dwarf in bone.  The dwarf is falling.

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 10:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dullard:
<STRONG>Seed: 19860728 (Coincidentally, this is my birthday, which is why I tried it.)
</STRONG>

Woo!  19860721 ^^

Pages: [1] 2 3