Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Require Help on Reclaiming Fortress  (Read 5753 times)

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Require Help on Reclaiming Fortress
« on: August 05, 2007, 10:15:00 am »

My best fortress, Slingoceans, has been shredded by a bronze colossus. I've tried reclaiming it, but the beast is still there and murdered the 77 millitary dwarves that tried to attack it. They DID yank out it's eye, but this is likely the equal to a "final-boss" of this world. Any tactics?
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Require Help on Reclaiming Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 10:19:00 am »

You could try killing the beast in Adventure Mode and reclaim the fortress afterwards. You need a lot of luck though.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 10:27:00 am »

I tried reclaiming again, but the horror murdered everyone. I still got it's other eye though. I think I MIGHT be able to kill it via the magma world flooding device, but I'd have to lure it out first.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »

I tried. I used the Cheat-o-Matic to get a adventurer who was nigh-invincible. Got killed from over-exertion, which is my top problem with adventurers.

EDIT: I tried again. First blow cut off a leg. As I speak, the Colossus is limb-less, which means he's going down soon. Strangely, he was wearing a mitten on his right hand. How funny. With a final blow, the adventurer shattered the colossus's upper body, killing it. SLINGOCEANS HAS BEEN REDEEMED!
Now to get the adventurer (who I named 'Armok', God of Blood) back to a city.

[ August 05, 2007: Message edited by: Bingbing ]

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 01:30:00 pm »

I bet he has a throne of dwarf skulls by now.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 01:42:00 pm »

Maybe he did. At least once I reclaim the fortress, I can take the masterpiece statue the colossus became and have it replace the cage that had held the goblin leader. Also, one question. If you abandon an fortress, are the artifacts forevermore lost?

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »

I *think* that if a creator has dropped the artifact, it is somewhere in the fort. However, if they haven't, the creator has moved on to a Dwarf fort somewhere, so you can find and kill this dwarf!

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »

Interesting. However, one of the artifacts, a chest, I saw on the ground before I abandoned the fortress. However, I can't see it.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

Most objects are randomly scattered when you come back to the fortress. Bins don't get scattered (I believe) and all objects in the Trade Depot at the time of abandonment will not be scattered. There may be other objects that are not, but for the most part, you will have to search.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

I forgot to clarify. I can't see ANY of my artifacts regardless of where I look. PERIOD.

Ok, here's an example. I had an perfect adventurine in the fortress, as well as an artifact chest, and I CAN'T see them anywhere. I don't even know how to place chests in rooms.

Also, someone help me. My dwarves refuse to do anything PERIOD. No farming, no fishing, no mining, no crafting, no ANYTHING.

[ August 05, 2007: Message edited by: Bingbing ]

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 08:27:00 pm »

When you reclaim a fortress, the dwarves are all in the military and won't do any normal work.  Once you've cleaned out all the monsters you need to remove them from the military.  Press m for the military screen, then a to turn off military duty.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 08:43:00 pm »

No, it wasn't that. I already solved the problem, and seeing my bad luck, the artifacts likely all spawned near the river and got washed in.

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 06:52:00 pm »

Did you use the reclaim designation? On reclaim you need to use the designation to reclaim all your stuff or dwarves wont use it. And try pressing "L" it should bring up a list of all artifacts and i cant remember but possibly location to by pressing "v" or something. If the artifact is lost it will say next to it. My legendary carpenter drowned once taking his legendary buckler with him.   :(

And yay i am back. Video card burnt out and my new one was all wacky and made my screen blink or not show at all so had to get another one.

Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 08:50:00 pm »

Puke seems to have solved the mystery of the disappearing artifacts (This is from another thread):

quote:
- reclaimed forts scatter your artifacts anywhere on the map, EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOT UNCOVERED THOSE FEATURES YET. I purposefully did not dig to the cave river, because i didnt want to lose anything. on reclaim, not only is my artifact missing, but there is a single green-highlight square deep in an unexcevated part of the mountain where my artifact must be sitting. and of course is washed away in the first seasonal flood, before i can reach it.

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 11:13:00 am »

After reading this thread about the terror of bronze colossi, I loaded up my game. After a few more years of play, one showed up in my fort. It chased some deer around the map while I summoned my military. It rushed my front gate when only 2 champions and a hammerlord were ready. Instantly I see a limb go flying, and I feel bad for my dwarves. I check the chunk: bronze colossus leg.

Yeah my best champion one shot its leg off. The colossus crawled around while my 2 champions and hammerlord chopped and smashed it. Total damage to my fort? A few light grey wounds on my champions.

I expected massive casualties. I guess my full =Steel Plate= armor, with iron chainmail underneath, and master crafted iron shields worked out pretty well. The weapons that tore it apart were mastercrafted obsidian shortswords. The hammerlord just had a placeholder -silver hammer- while I work up my weaponsmith.

[ August 07, 2007: Message edited by: Ravendas ]

Pages: [1] 2