Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Embark  (Read 15449 times)

iemfi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark
« on: June 06, 2015, 02:24:09 pm »

I'm developing Embark, inspired by dwarf fortress among other games. The focus is more towards the social aspect and having a large game world. Also its in full 3D and multi-threaded. Complexity is a huge focus, it's definitely not one of those dumbed down 3D dwarf fortress clones which get boring after a few hours.

One thing would be the social interaction between the characters. The characters will have complex interactions between each other, and in a clearly visible way which the player can influence. Sort of like the Sims. Another focus would be on having a very large map with all sorts of things going on. Instead of animals just spawning on the edge of the map they'll live on the map and reproduce and do their own thing. Also there will be a strong difficult end game, the idea is that once a player has exhausted a map there is an incentive to pack up, take some people, and travel over to the adjacent map and face tougher enemies.

Steam page

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:33:33 am by iemfi »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 03:08:56 pm »

While i do love what you did with your game, coming around just to advertise your game as first post raise a flag for the community, i hope you will stick around. We are not a simple advertising board. Speaking of wich, maybe we should have a sub-section for indie devloper wishing to advertise their game? Just thinking out loud wile im at it :)(.

Good work and keep it on!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 03:13:36 pm »

THROW HIM IN THE LAVA PIT!

Just kidding...though expect some people being less than pleased...

Also...any chance you could beef up the first post a bit? Seems a bit lacking

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 03:21:48 pm »

Good point, an image or so, plan for the futur, does the community gets a special, anything you can add will be much appreciated.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

iemfi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 11:46:26 pm »

Sorry, I have lurked here and on the dwarf fortress subreddit a lot so it felt different to me, but of course that's silly of me.  :) I'll beef up the first post to provide more details, the plan is to get a playable build done by early 2016, a lot of the core simulation systems are in but it needs a lot of polishing still. It won't be as detailed as dwarf fortress of course, but I hope to give Toady a good run for his money.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 12:02:15 am »

I hope to give Toady a good run for his money.
Hope to make a comparable game in 6-9 months to a game that has been in development for around a decade...it might be easier better to say the game is a minecraft rts, because that is what it looks like.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:05:05 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

iemfi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 12:36:49 am »

Yup, it's a tall order indeed, but I feel up to the challenge  :), and hey losing is fun right...

It's hard to show off the simulation in a 1 minute video, and the video needed to be short because that's pretty much the attention span of people on steam. A lot of the complexity is already in place though, the plan from the beginning was to build a strong broad base instead of pushing out a simplified vertical slice.

Uristits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 12:37:44 am »

I pretty much comes to other games because I want to see people posting games and such. I don't care if its their own, if they ever post again, or if they only post in this thread. As long as the game is somewhat in the spirit of dwarf fortress I do not mind.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 12:56:19 am »

looks interesting awaiting more details.
also i like how the people and armour look

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 01:01:17 am »

That's dangerous wording, especially considering the topic at hand. May want to read this.

iemfi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 01:24:46 am »

That's dangerous wording, especially considering the topic at hand. May want to read this.

Definitely not what I meant!

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 02:36:46 am »

Well...I think that may be a bit on the extreme end to compare it to that situation, iemfi isn't trying to tell people to give money to them instead of donations to toady. It sounds more like wanting to use dwarf fortress as an ideal or theme of the game. It would be a bit difficult to put dwarf fortress in the genre as last I saw it was classified as a fantasy simulator in a list of rougelikes with no other game in that category. In my opinion you would have more success comparing to the minecraft because of how the characters in the game was breaking down blocks and placing them, as well as the larger fanbase to potentially draw from. Trying to aspire big is one of the reasons for towns' downfall. I guess in my case I can only give feedback on what I can see and tend to ignore hype(which is everything on greenlight that isn't a re-release).
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 04:18:02 am »

"Giving him a run for his money" is a common idiom that means that someone plans to live up to the standard of a product or person that is held in high regard. He's not trying to convince people not to donate, he's not insulting anyone (he's actually paying Toady a compliment), and he's not reverse-engineering DF to make a clone.

The guy might come off as a little overconfident, but there's nothing he's said that's been subversive or offensive.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 04:28:33 am »

Oh, I know that. It's just that the general wording and the word "money" being brought up sorta reminded me of that.

Oh yeah, and creating direct competition to Toady that intends to live up to his standard sort of is kinda threatening considering his financial situation (donation-based, that is)

iemfi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 05:02:06 am »

Oh yeah, and creating direct competition to Toady that intends to live up to his standard sort of is kinda threatening considering his financial situation (donation-based, that is)

I disagree, dwarf fortress is pretty much the face of the (very sparsely populated) genre. IMO other games in the same genre can only help to bring more publicity (and thus donations) to dwarf fortress, the comparison is unavoidable. People tend to play multiple games so it's not like it's a zero sum game.

The guy might come off as a little overconfident, but there's nothing he's said that's been subversive or offensive.

Haha, yeah I guess it does take a healthy dose of hubris to state that the game will be as complex as Dwarf Fortress in under a year. It seems game development is a constant state of going between "OMG, I'm such an amazing programmer this is going to be prefect within the week!" and the next moment going "everything sucks, this is terrible and noone is ever going to want to play this."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6