Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Embark  (Read 15443 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 12:10:06 pm »

Embark = Minecraft-like graphics with Dwarf Fortress-like gameplay

There, you can now draw from both fandoms.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 01:10:26 pm »

I am sure you cant have 3d graphics and etc.. with the entire complexity of DF, at least at this moment.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 01:17:17 pm »

Haha, yeah I guess it does take a healthy dose of hubris to state that the game will be as complex as Dwarf Fortress in under a year.

A healthy dose? DF has been in development for over 10 years. That's a dump truck worth of hubris.

Maybe you should talk less about trying to one-up your inspiration, and more about how you actually plan to do it. The trail is littered with the bones of developers who thought they could do DF "but with graphics", before ending up with an ugly 2D game with about a teaspoon worth of depth.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:23:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 02:10:47 pm »

The trailer posted on the website looks pretty legit, as far as framework goes.
There's a heck of a lot more content and details needed if it's to rise above the Minecraft mire and be comparable to DF, but it's got potential.

IMO, the comparison to Khazad was a bit off target, as I didn't interpret his post to mean he was making a clone.

iemfi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 03:38:31 pm »

exdeath, graphics are mostly handled by the graphics card, so processing power wise it is not an issue. Development time is another matter of course, but a decent amount can be done in parallel, I have a professional artist on board to do the models and stuff.

And yeah nenjin, I realise I'd probably feel the same way if I was looking at it from your perspective, I'll do a longer video to show off the game mechanics more.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 04:21:08 pm »

Haha, yeah I guess it does take a healthy dose of hubris to state that the game will be as complex as Dwarf Fortress in under a year.

A healthy dose? DF has been in development for over 10 years. That's a dump truck worth of hubris.

Maybe you should talk less about trying to one-up your inspiration, and more about how you actually plan to do it. The trail is littered with the bones of developers who thought they could do DF "but with graphics", before ending up with an ugly 2D game with about a teaspoon worth of depth.

13 years

I am sure you cant have 3d graphics and etc.. with the entire complexity of DF, at least at this moment.

unless you can somehow make mix-and-match body part models with tissues etc. and have the movement procedurally generated in a way that doesn't look like this, yeah

iemfi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 03:44:35 pm »

unless you can somehow make mix-and-match body part models with tissues etc. and have the movement procedurally generated in a way that doesn't look like this, yeah

That is out of scope for Embark, just too much work to add stuff like that, the 3D models/animations are pretty basic, the simulation of body parts etc, will only happen behind the scenes.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 04:37:25 pm »

Huh, ok, looks promising. Please come back periodically and give us updates! I'm very curious to see how this ends up looking.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 01:57:05 pm »

Iemfi, are you this iemfi from this aurora inspired game?
If yes what happened to it

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=6154.45
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 02:44:04 pm by exdeath »

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 02:42:55 pm »

OPS DOUBLEPOST

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 02:43:20 pm »

OPS DOUBLEPOST

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 02:53:03 pm »

That would actually be a TRIPLEPOST

Already voted for ya after i seen it on reddit or something.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 04:06:17 pm »

Oh, I know that. It's just that the general wording and the word "money" being brought up sorta reminded me of that.

Oh yeah, and creating direct competition to Toady that intends to live up to his standard sort of is kinda threatening considering his financial situation (donation-based, that is)

This is Bollocks. I've never heard Toady once complain about competition, and iemfi has been more than courteous. More than that, as iemfi pointed out, this isn't a zero sum game, and he's clearly got a different niche.

Urgh I'm sorry iemfi it seems as though you've gotten the 'how dare you compare yourself to our glorious leader'. Part of that is because you just posted to promote, which isn't great. Please try to actually get involved with some discussions and lend a hand as then all will be forgiven (but actually, kinda, do it). I for one think this looks great and I'm really excited to see where you go with it. Maybe a longer demo would be better though, as it seems like you already have a lot of stuff, but you barely get time to look at it!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

iemfi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 08:17:29 am »

Iemfi, are you this iemfi from this aurora inspired game?

Oh wow, you remember that :). I abandoned that because I couldn't get the ship building mechanic designed nicely. After that I also abandoned another prototype of a voxel city building game. It seems that it's really tough getting novel game mechanics to a fun to play state. Which is why for this project I've forced myself to stay closer to the tried and tested. I do hope to revisit that project some day with more experience.

Please try to actually get involved with some discussions and lend a hand as then all will be forgiven (but actually, kinda, do it).

I'll try to, but no promises... I tend to just lurk (unless someone is wrong on the internet). And yeah I'll be putting up a much longer gameplay video soon.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 05:48:41 pm »

Cheers. Assuming a 1 minute timespan of attention of your target audience is kind of demeaning to us. Especially when the type of game you're creating and trying to sell assumes a rather longer attention span of your potential customers anyway.

And, you could, you know, make 2 videos. One to wow them, one to actually show off heaps of stuff (5-7min long).

Hope it goes well for you. I'll check this thread periodically to see how it progresses.
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6