Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Embark  (Read 15447 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 06:42:20 pm »

Cheers. Assuming a 1 minute timespan of attention of your target audience is kind of demeaning to us. Especially when the type of game you're creating and trying to sell assumes a rather longer attention span of your potential customers anyway.
Don't be a prick.

---
Iemfi, I can only apologise for the welcome/responses you've had. I don't know why you've got it, you seem to be trying hard and playing nice. I can only suggest that you keep posting and ignore the rest. Bay12 is my only online community because 98% of the time it's welcoming and doesn't have the exact behaviour I've seen here.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 06:59:55 pm »

Cheers. Assuming a 1 minute timespan of attention of your target audience is kind of demeaning to us. Especially when the type of game you're creating and trying to sell assumes a rather longer attention span of your potential customers anyway.
Don't be a prick.

Oh, I know that. It's just that the general wording and the word "money" being brought up sorta reminded me of that.

Oh yeah, and creating direct competition to Toady that intends to live up to his standard sort of is kinda threatening considering his financial situation (donation-based, that is)

This is Bollocks

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 07:15:51 pm »

Yeah, and I stand by all of that. Both of your posts were purposefully misreading what the Iemfi had said, and responding pettily when he/she was trying to be courteous and friendly.

To me that doesn't stick on B12, and I'm 100% going to call you on it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 07:29:36 pm »

Both of your posts were purposefully misreading what the Iemfi had said, and responding pettily when he/she was trying to be courteous and friendly.

I was telling him to be careful about his wording, not telling him to go away. Saying that I was "purposefully misreading" is just wrong, but thanks for assuming the worst of my words and calling people pricks while saying they're petty.

Like, you're reading far too much into my words. I did not tell him not to do what he wants to or anything like that. I didn't say anything even remotely resembling 'how dare you compare yourself to our glorious leader' and I never meant anything like that. Don't put words into people's mouths, goddamn. You're standing by a strawman who never existed that you're projecting on to me, and I can't stand by that.

EDIT: okay i'm calm now

nothing gets me angrier than being misinterpreted and having malice attributed to the misinterpretation

and being accused of doing that to someone else sort of squares that?

so that's the story behind this
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 12:19:32 am by Putnam »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2015, 03:36:00 am »

Haha, yeah I guess it does take a healthy dose of hubris to state that the game will be as complex as Dwarf Fortress in under a year. It seems game development is a constant state of going between "OMG, I'm such an amazing programmer this is going to be prefect within the week!" and the next moment going "everything sucks, this is terrible and noone is ever going to want to play this."

Well, I hear that that's worked as a successful business plan for Peter Molyneux. Plus it helped him become famous. :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:40:05 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2015, 03:50:10 am »

But that's nowhere near Molyneux levels!

Molyneux levels is saying "In a week we will have completed a perfect sentient AI to develop the game for us instantly."
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2015, 12:19:17 am »

yo don't let a spat kill a topic

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2015, 02:57:50 pm »

Just waiting for updates here personally...people being pissy is a moot point...hopefully they move on and find something more entertaining to spend their time on

iemfi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2016, 05:17:43 pm »

So err, I said I would post an update with more gameplay. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UgaXRztjOo a little over a year late. >_<

Progress has been decent though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2016, 06:04:15 pm »

Looking pretty good so far. Although I personally would prefer to start with some basic tools and supplies and whatnot. The whole 'start with nothing' scenario gets old pretty quick after you've done it a bunch of times in games like this.

Maybe just have some options at the start so people can play with whatever level of challenge they like?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

iemfi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2016, 08:17:14 pm »

My plan eventually would be to allow players to "expand" out into the world map, bring a few colonists and items with them and face a more difficult world.

And yeah, that could be an option!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 11:26:14 pm »

Oh, I had another thought. Maybe instead of having them punch trees at the start, maybe have them use knives. Still painfully slow, but much less silly. And it would explain how they start crafting everything else you need to make at the start.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

iemfi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2016, 12:34:29 am »

Well, I imagine I would be able to cut a small tree down eventually with just a random rock. And then start to make the other tools the primitive technology guy (from youtube) made.

iemfi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2017, 04:15:37 am »

Things have taken longer than expected (surprise!) but progress has been great.

Just did a devlog talking about the water system in Embark. https://youtu.be/5kDuOKN7ah4

Also hoping to get some people to help test the game soon. Having some DF players play it would be awesome.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2017, 09:17:15 am »

I imagine you can find a few willing volunteers here :)
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6