Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why has nobody ever told me that forest fires are dangerous?  (Read 5480 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Why has nobody ever told me that forest fires are dangerous?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 01:56:57 pm »

In case nobody ever told you these things are also dangerous.

Heh, the most dangerous thing on the list is magma. 

And anyway, if I'm reading the updates correctly, then tree trunks themselves can catch fire.  (They aren't a wall that cannot catch fire like before.) This means that when the tree starts burning, if it burns from the bottom up, the bottom of the trunk will probably burn away first, causing the tops of the trees to be unsupported, and the other pieces of branches then experience cave-in. 

(I wonder if it would be better if tree branches were considered more like constructions, where they deconstruct to wood upon cave-in...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 09:55:26 pm »

This is partly why I'm rather glad I embarked on an aquifer. After punching through with the double-slit method, I have a natural barrier between me and the deadly burning trees. (Not that I expect the forest to catch fire somehow, of course...)
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 02:54:37 am »

I gave dragons wings and boy do they hate ravens...the entire map is ash, but I don't have a raven problem anymore...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 03:48:00 am »

I gave dragons wings and boy do they hate ravens...the entire map is ash, but I don't have a raven problem anymore...
All things considered I think you got the better outcome of all the possibilities.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 08:59:39 am »

Like, you mean when their roots burn away @ z-1, and you have rooms at z-2 thru z-10? Yeah, that just might do it...
I think it's when Z-1 is mined out (no roots) and and the fire burns at the branches. Some of the branches are destroyed and eventually left unsupported so they collapse like a floor tile with nothing beside or under it. That punches through the mined out area and any mined out area underneath that tile. 

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 10:29:56 am »

All things considered I think you got the better outcome of all the possibilities.
Loud Whispers, tell us more about your love of ravens?...

I admit, I'm surprised. I assumed that trees deconstructed to logs when they were unsupported. I guess I'll have to ensure that my defense corridors immediately drop a Z-level via ramp, and that my soil farms can be sealed. Otherwise, nothing is directly under the surface, and usually nothing is directly underneath those. I like to go a few Z's down first.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 07:19:10 pm »

Loud Whispers, tell us more about your love of ravens?...
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146908
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 01:36:08 pm »

This reminds me of the time a dragon helped me to discover the explosive nature of dwarven booze.

When under siege it is NOT ADVISABLE to tell your dwarves to retreat to the food/alcohol stockpile.  Especially when the attacker breathes fire and can knock down doors.

I lost pretty much everyone in the explosion, and was also bemused to discover that dragon fire can cause dwarves to explode and spray boiling dwarf blood on those not lucky enough to die in the initial fireball.

TLDR I love dragons.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 12:10:28 am »

Tiiiny query here (my knowledge may be outdated, since I played DF...a long time before the latest ones)

Doesn't grass also spread fire, other than trees and other flammable substances? Reminds me of the old forts back in the days, where a single ' can catch fire and spread all throughout the land, becoming a nice mass of ' . "

In case nobody ever told you these things are also dangerous.

Heh, the most dangerous thing on the list is magma. 

And anyway, if I'm reading the updates correctly, then tree trunks themselves can catch fire.  (They aren't a wall that cannot catch fire like before.) This means that when the tree starts burning, if it burns from the bottom up, the bottom of the trunk will probably burn away first, causing the tops of the trees to be unsupported, and the other pieces of branches then experience cave-in. 

(I wonder if it would be better if tree branches were considered more like constructions, where they deconstruct to wood upon cave-in...)
:o
...This means that trees are like mini-cave ins waiting to happen in times of a fire, then. Even 2 z-level trees?
Like a 1-tile natural construction (plus branches? Which I believe may classify as 'constructions' since some are walkable; those that aren't, I guess, don't fall under this), since when a cave-in occurs, and the tile beneath it has no tile supporting underneath, it can penetrate that z-level under.

I need more synonyms here. :-\

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 02:32:47 pm »

Sorry for the dely, I had a pretty stressful week. Here are the Screenshots:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When I tried to clear the area above my underground pastures, I found out that burned trees are likely to collapse if they are cut down (of course they collapse. But in this case they.. collapse-collapse.). Better do not touch them.

Anyway... My new Duchess is a merchant. Will she come to live at my fortress eventually? Or is she destined to visit her fort only once a year?
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!
Pages: 1 [2]