Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 241

Author Topic: The Infinite Heavens: More than one way to skin a cat.  (Read 330656 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Infinite Heavens: Lost gods and Unspoken histories
« Reply #2925 on: December 02, 2016, 02:36:48 pm »

Let's go first to Idol Henge, then traverse by edge of Dead Silence and Mount King to Black Sun Cult.

+1

Sebastian then starts talking about how delicious sky bugs are, especially with his deathclaw and dinosaur buddies. And the jackal man too.

"I'm really been in a plant mood lately, you know?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2926 on: December 03, 2016, 02:13:15 pm »

Hmm, lets tally this up.

Black sun cult by way of Idol henge, dead silence and mount king: III
Sky Crawler Hive: I
Succubus Hell:I
Pleasure Grave:II
Dead silence:I
Mollusc Village II

So it seems Black sun cult is the final destination, but by way of Idol Henge, Dead silence and the Mount King's domain.

The Warbeast pulls a U-Turn and heads back the way it came, veering more south than east and staying well away from the land of the god eaters.  The passage through the cloudwall is uneventful and the land beyond it is far more hospitable. The Idol henge is a rather idyllic place; a plain of tall swaying grass and isolated trees with a sky the color of milk and an ever present warmth. Scattered across this plain are what look like large stones. They vary greatly in size, some are 20 or 30 feet tall while others are only about the size of a man. Upon closer inspection, something that isn't easy to do from the back of a war beast, you can make out that the stones are in fact statues; idols of a sort. They're all in the same style, a sort of cross between the fat and over emphasized forms of fertility idols and the giant heads if the Moai.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: December 03, 2016, 03:38:02 pm »

"Put me down on one of the big ones!"

Sebastian requests to be placed on top of one of the big statues, so he can examine it very carefully, using his information gathering skills, to find out what the idols are, or do, or aren't and don't do.

Basically just checking if they are 'normal' stone statues or if there is something weird about them, like they are alive, or computers, or some kind of secret ritual network or part of the Mandelbrot Set or something.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: December 03, 2016, 04:45:51 pm »

Idly wish I had the time to carve one of myself. Keep watch on the idol Sebastian's being put on just in case they turn alive or something. If nothing in particular happens, I'll vote for moving on.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: December 03, 2016, 05:53:31 pm »

"Idols of whom, one wonders? If these depict dead gods, what effect has the small amount of FAITH a passing traveler generates?"
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: December 03, 2016, 06:10:43 pm »

"Idols of whom, one wonders? If these depict dead gods, what effect has the small amount of FAITH a passing traveler generates?"
"Not gods. Faith needs to be more organized than a singular idol in the middle of nowhere for an entity to attain any real power. Perhaps individuals? Perhaps they're people themselves."
Sig! Onol

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: December 03, 2016, 07:27:35 pm »

"We could have the warbeast pick up one of the smaller ones."

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: December 04, 2016, 05:16:35 am »

"We could have the warbeast pick up one of the smaller ones."

"Yes! Do it!" Ryan cannot hold his excitement. "Can I eat those?"
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: December 04, 2016, 07:09:10 am »

Swoop down and check the plains for small creatures I could squeeze blood from to water my plant.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: December 04, 2016, 12:40:30 pm »

"Wouldn't it be better to make sure they don't get up and get pissed off first?"

Eyeball things from above, and observe if there's any reaction from other statues when one is landed on.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2935 on: December 06, 2016, 10:09:48 pm »

"Put me down on one of the big ones!"

Sebastian requests to be placed on top of one of the big statues, so he can examine it very carefully, using his information gathering skills, to find out what the idols are, or do, or aren't and don't do.

Basically just checking if they are 'normal' stone statues or if there is something weird about them, like they are alive, or computers, or some kind of secret ritual network or part of the Mandelbrot Set or something.

[1]
The Warbeast places you down right atop one of the 10 foot tall ones. Once there you attempt to bend down and take a good look at the face of the stone. But you immediately lose your footing and tumble off into the tall grass. You land flat on your back and it hurts a hell of a lot more than you think it would. You struggle and sit up, looking on the ground to see what the hell hurt so much and find that the ground is covered in what look like small white stones. Closer inspection reveals that these small stones are in fact carved figures, similar to the large stones. Beneath these fist and finger sized stones are even smaller stones, each carved to resemble a different creature or figure, and beneath that, smaller still. You dig down until you reach white sand, and even then  you can just barely make out the features carved upon each grain.

Idly wish I had the time to carve one of myself. Keep watch on the idol Sebastian's being put on just in case they turn alive or something. If nothing in particular happens, I'll vote for moving on.
Well...something particular happens. Namely sebastian falls flat. You are unimpressed.

Swoop down and check the plains for small creatures I could squeeze blood from to water my plant.
Well, if we ignore sebastian, you don't find anything. In fact, beyond the grass and trees this place seems completely devoid of any life. You circle up and out and find two things; first there are larger stones farther into this place, in fact, you see what looks like a mountain range a few miles off, shrouded by clouds. Second, there's what looks like a camp a mile or so from here. Not an inhabited one, an old one. There's a ring of stones and a burnt place where they had a fire. Some garbage too, maybe. Dunno, you're flying too high to make out details.

"Wouldn't it be better to make sure they don't get up and get pissed off first?"

Eyeball things from above, and observe if there's any reaction from other statues when one is landed on.
The statues don't seem to mind being climbed on.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: December 06, 2016, 10:31:54 pm »

One vote for moving on.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: December 06, 2016, 10:39:35 pm »

((Huh, endlessly recursive idols. Cool, if unlikely to be useful.))

Unless there's objection from others, I vote to move on.
Sig! Onol

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: December 06, 2016, 11:02:32 pm »

It's all idols, all the way down! Good news is, there are no evil trees here! Hey, I bet we cold make a fortune selling these things! help me collect some!

Sebastian grabs up fistfuls of the finger sized idols and the idolsand, and sees if hte warbeast will pick up a bigger one - human sized or ten foot tall or whatever, to put up on his back. Then Sebastian will come up and be ready to move on, telling of his remarkable feat in discovering such a wonderful and rare archaeological find.

((well, at leastthis (1) didn't have significant negative effects.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2939 on: December 06, 2016, 11:21:56 pm »

((Huh, endlessly recursive idols. Cool, if unlikely to be useful.))

Unless there's objection from others, I vote to move on.
A lot of these places are gonna be weird but not terribly useful for much.

Or maybe they all have hidden features!

Or not.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 241