Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 241

Author Topic: The Infinite Heavens: More than one way to skin a cat.  (Read 330746 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: The Infinite Heavens: Amputee Voltron
« Reply #1815 on: January 15, 2016, 03:55:00 pm »

((Well Xan forgot to bold his reading action, it appears. Anyway, let's get crackin'))

- So, no opinions? You guys just think this over and share later. Meanwhile hang on and be battle ready.

Cross the stormcloud wall
Just gonna put this here
Replace the armor with my new cloak, and vote to cross.
You replace your armor with your new cloak. It's pretty nice. The head part even still has the snout and upper jaw of the beast, but modified into a helmet. Very Hercules-esque.  And the heavy dark crimson mane of the beast frames your heck and shoulders wonderfully.

It appears I accidentally italicized my action.

READ

The next section appears to be covering "Thought-forms", things which were brought into being entirely based upon the beliefs of others. The book uses the same metaphor of the ball in the box, but this time posits that it is possible to do it without a ball ever having been in the box to begin with. However, it also states that the amount of faith required to create matter where none exists is seemingly far greater than the faith which is required to manipulate existent reality. The also makes reference to "The Darbensure Thought-form" and contains an image of a strange iridescent mass of swirling colors hovering above a city of asymmetrical, brutalist buildings. What ever this thought-form was, the author uses it as a cautionary tale, warning that while such things are powerful, they quickly gain a life of their own above the understanding and control of their creators.  "And Darbensure's erasure from the world is more then evidence enough of the dangers of power unrestrained".

"Let's sail, gentlemen!"

Onward!
The Warbeast charges through into the storm. The inner reaches of the stormwall are far different from the out side; it is tempest, a raging thunderstorm which pelts the beast with wind and rain. Thunder crashes constantly like exploding artillery shells and lightning curls through the sky all around, throwing purple light and jittery shadows across the deck. The flag, so carefully rendered, tears away from the beast and the fire in the cabin is smothered by rain. The crew hold  to the deck and hide in the cabin, sheltering from the rain as best they can.

And then the rain stops. The warbeast steps free of the stormwall and out onto a sunny plain. The sun, an actual sun by the look of it, is sitting somewhere near the horizon, maybe evening, maybe morning, hard to tell. It's throwing reddening light across the sky, bathing the world in calm twilight glow. The crew, soaked and chilly, exit the cabin and look around. The landscape is lush; vibrant green and speckled colors of bright blooms and hanging fruits. The ground is overgrown with grass, creeping vines, bushes, hedges and ferns. Trees sprout up in random groves, or in groups of two or three, boughs of bushy green leaves and black wood overgrown with moss. The plants roll slowly, gently, in the warm western breeze, and the entire world seems to dance to the music of the soft rush and rustle.

Underneath this greenery is something vastly different; poking up out of the sea of green are black islands of blast glass, fallen towers and highway supports. Broken glass still sparkles in sunlight, half hidden beneath the foliage, and the hollowed, burned out shells of buildings rise up only to end abruptly in twisted, rusted, rebar studded stumps a few stories high. Directly ahead, in this overgrown ruin of a city, is a body. If you weren't so high up it would be hard to recognize that giant collection of corroded metal and bare white bone as a body; but from this vantage point it is clear. The body is as big if not bigger than the warbeast you're currently riding. It's partially curled up, almost in the fetal position, laying on it's side. Armor plates, or perhaps metallic bone, trace the outline of it. The bones are...strange. They are obviously artificial in their design with joints more like hinges in many places, a ribcage like sections of overlapping plates and extended Hip bones which protect the flanks and gut.  Whatever it is, it is long, long dead.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: January 15, 2016, 04:52:34 pm »

- Jeez, that storm was intense. Glad it's over, I'm taking a break. I think it tore away our flag...

Ask Engine Spirit to walk us up to the nearest building. Recreate the banner, with coal on canvas, I suppose. It's important to have a flag in a deal like the one we're having.
((Wiki'd the map and some other changes.))
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 06:30:11 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: January 15, 2016, 06:20:20 pm »

"This place seems nice. Do you see anything notable in the distance? It's hard for me to tell using only echolocation."

Isolate this reality from the infected one. Perform whatever damage control is possible from this perspective.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: January 15, 2016, 06:26:50 pm »

- Some big carcass of a creature long dead. Ruins overgrown with grass and veins. I bet it's something from the left side of the map.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: January 15, 2016, 09:08:11 pm »

"Hmm. Clearly then the best course of action is to create something that you could easily mantle yourself... he descends into mumbling.

Read onward!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:05:17 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: January 15, 2016, 09:16:33 pm »

"Pah!  I've seen far worse storms than that one.  Just a little gust, that's all!"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: January 17, 2016, 04:37:55 pm »

Scan ground for animals.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1822 on: January 18, 2016, 01:38:53 pm »

- Jeez, that storm was intense. Glad it's over, I'm taking a break. I think it tore away our flag...

Ask Engine Spirit to walk us up to the nearest building. Recreate the banner, with coal on canvas, I suppose. It's important to have a flag in a deal like the one we're having.
((Wiki'd the map and some other changes.))
[6]
You recreate the flag using an awful lot of cloth. It might be a bit...well, oversized. But it is impressive. There's no denying that.

The engine spirit walks the War beast carefully through the foliage and up to the nearest ruined building. It stops right at the edge of the blown out shell of a structure, positioning itself carefully so it can lower you down onto the building, if you were so inclined.
"This place seems nice. Do you see anything notable in the distance? It's hard for me to tell using only echolocation."

Isolate this reality from the infected one. Perform whatever damage control is possible from this perspective.
Yeah yeah, you're fine.

"Hmm. Clearly then the best course of action is to create something that you could easily mantle yourself... he descends into mumbling.

Read onward!
There are several "recipes" the author has devised for creating minor thought-forms but they all require a good deal of people and rather elaborate setups such as hidden rooms and volunteers who don't suspect that they are doing something specifically designed to create a thought-form.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1823 on: January 18, 2016, 02:29:11 pm »

((I like the irony. In order to attain real magic, Xan has to resort to magic tricks.))

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: January 18, 2016, 02:30:58 pm »

Do explore the building. The insides of it. Just out of curiosity.
Sigs

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: January 18, 2016, 03:33:28 pm »

"Neat!"

Go with the away team
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: January 18, 2016, 04:32:51 pm »

Explore little building. Continue to not be infected with reality fuckage.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: January 18, 2016, 04:33:59 pm »

Explore the building.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: January 18, 2016, 05:54:54 pm »

More reading!

Xankarvo furiously commits all this to memory.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1829 on: January 19, 2016, 10:22:34 am »

Do explore the building. The insides of it. Just out of curiosity.
"Neat!"

Go with the away team
Explore little building. Continue to not be infected with reality fuckage.
Explore the building.

The Warbeast lowers you down onto the building.  The building isn't much more then an shell; four walls with the remnants of floors surrounding the edges. You lower yourselves down between the floors and scour what remains. You don't find much of anything; you find out what happens to a wooden dresser left out in the elements for countless years: it dissolves into a pile of moist, rotten, termite infested wood studded with partially corroded hinges and knobs. You find the decaying leather bindings of books, though the pages within have gotten soaked and broken away long ago. You find mattresses rotten down to bare springs, the vertical gash of a stairwell without stairs and a ground floor absolutely stuffed with shattered chunks of concrete and rusted rebar. All the trimmings you'd expect from a ruined modern highrise.

More reading!

Xankarvo furiously commits all this to memory.
The next chapters talk about "Preternatural abilities" which are bestowed upon people. It specifically goes into the facts revolving around "Abilities which follow common belief or legend, the self fulfilling myth."  It states that individuals who are known, by myth, legend or rumor, to have certain capacities will sometimes gain those capacities regardless of the truth of the original individual. Exaggeration of traits is often the most common way for this to happen, and it sometimes is too subtle for many to notice. A boxer who wins many bouts based on his ability to withstand damage and keep fighting may become preternaturally tough as his reputation grows, even if there is no obvious indication of such. A swordsman known for quick cuts may begin cutting inhumanly fast after many people have marveled at his work. It references "The 12th Grand Hell Circus" and the sword swallower who began eating swords  and eventually subsisted entirely upon a diet of blades. 
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 241