Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Castlestalgia. You may now enter the castle.  (Read 9747 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodstained Ritual of the Night: Castlestolgia.
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 02:17:16 am »

The New3DS plays DS games but it does not have a slot for GBA games like the DS had. As far as I know there aren't any games on New3DS that you can't play on 3DS currently.

So basically, as long as you already have a GBA you can get a 3DS you're all set.

Or go with the New3DS if its newer features are worth the higher price to you (essentially C-stick acting as a circle pad pro, 3D that tracks your face so it compensates for not holding it completely "right" and movement, "z" shoulder buttons that I don't even think work in most games, and Amiibo support if you really wanna use them in Smash Brothers... because honestly, is there any game out that actually uses those things for anything other than little gimmicks?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 02:19:47 am »

The New3DS plays DS games but it does not have a slot for GBA games like the DS had. As far as I know there aren't any games on New3DS that you can't play on 3DS currently.

So basically, as long as you already have a GBA you can get a 3DS you're all set.

Or go with the New3DS if its newer features are worth the higher price to you (essentially C-stick acting as a circle pad pro, 3D that tracks your face so it compensates for not holding it completely "right" and movement, "z" shoulder buttons that I don't even think work in most games, and Amiibo support if you really wanna use them in Smash Brothers... because honestly, is there any game out that actually uses those things for anything other than little gimmicks?

The prices I'm seeing for the 3DS XL, even used, is a little much to swallow just to play a backlog of older games. (If I have to get all these games from Ebay, I estimate that's like...another $150 to $200 dollars.)

So I'm probably going to avoid the new hotness. Thanks for the info!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2015, 03:12:57 am »

Xenoblade Chronicles requires a New 3DS, I think that's the only one so far.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pre Symphony of the Night, Castlevania was all about action-platforming without RPG elements.

This is true so long as you ignore Simon's Quest. Which admittedly, judging by some of the comments here, may not be an unpopular course of action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2015, 02:38:43 pm »

I only have vague memories of SQ at this point. It's one of those games I've tried to play several times and it just grinds me down.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2015, 02:58:58 pm »

Well, I saw this too late to get in.
Looking at the art, and reading the comments/commentary here makes me think that was a good thing though.
Thanks for the heads up B12.

I actually like LoS, and I really loved SotN.
For background, I also finished #2,3 and Super, as well as CotM, HoD, and AoS.

LoS was a departure from the SotN style, but then, SotN was a big change from the classic styles. There was practically no RPG element before then.
The GBA titles were much more faithful to SotN's style, but LoS is closer to SotN than any of the titles I haven't mentioned, all of which I took a pass on.

I think the biggest problem is that all Castlevania titles have to follow in SotN's wake, and that's a very high bar to measure by.
C'est la vie.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2015, 04:04:44 pm »

I guess I'll just have to disagree. LoS is closer to LoI or CoD than it is SotN, to me. One is an RPG. The other is a 3rd person fighting game. Like I said, I think Curse of Darkness is the closest they got to a 3rd person fighting game that was also like SotN in scope and detail.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2015, 06:49:59 pm »

Welp, managed to secure a used 3DS XL and a replacement GBA charger pretty easily. But as expected, no such luck with the cartridges. I checked three used game stores and three big box electronic stores, not a Vania to be found anywhere. (Other than, ironically, Castlevania 64.) Not surprising I suppose, although it does make me look somewhat angrily at the 5 different versions of Pokemon with dozens of copies on the shelf. Looking over the games makes me realize that Castlevania is literally the only thing I'll be using this for.

So I guess I'm off to ebay, with the hope of not getting scammed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:54:56 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2015, 10:04:40 pm »

A stroke of dark luck! My landlord is also a shameless lover of Castlevania, and owns everything I want! They're....somewhere in this house. On his instructions, I managed to find Harmony of Dissonance. Now if I can just find the rest of the trove....

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2015, 10:22:39 pm »

That's... unusual. In several ways.
But best of luck nonetheless! :)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2015, 02:39:20 am »

Let me clarify. My landlord is a long time friend who had to leave town on short notice to relocate for his job. So I rent his house, and he left 90% of his stuff here in boxes.

I found an entire box of DS/3DS/GBA/PS2/PS3/PS4/Wii game boxes with manuals, but no discs or cartridges. The GBA cartridges with Harmony of Dissonance I did find were in a box within a box within a bigger box. It's currently about 95 degree up in the attic, and after 30 minutes of rooting through boxes densely packed with nerd stuff, and pouring sweat, I gave up. He swears most of his cartridges should still be at the house....but he's also a weird mixed of organized and scatterbrained. Like I said, an entire box filled with empty gameboxes and manuals, but not a game to be found anywhere.

That's basically all I did today. Sweat, and hunt for Castlevania games :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:43:39 am by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2015, 03:05:10 pm »

Double post but I found a little over the shoulder shaky cam footage of the actual game build. The Kickstarter images are basically tarted up screenshots of what's already in game.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Bloodstained-Off-Screen-Footage/td-p/45207507

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bumpity bump. They've released a preview build to backers at the $60 level or higher. Checking it out myself right now.

Already finished. It's about what you'd expect, pretty basic. But it's pretty nice so far. Controls and movement are fluid, backgrounds and characters look nice, enemies don't look quite as silly/cute as I was afraid of. All the systems, straight out of the golden years of Castlevania. Soul capturing, equipping them, etc....

The first boss though....didn't really expect to see that much jiggle physics. That and it was just kind of a mess, crazy bright colors splattered everywhere, big cartoony face in her belly and the aforementioned giant knockers. Kind of hoping that doesn't become a theme with this game.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:06:32 am by nenjin »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bumpity bump. They've released a preview build to backers at the $60 level or higher. Checking it out myself right now.

Already finished. It's about what you'd expect, pretty basic. But it's pretty nice so far. Controls and movement are fluid, backgrounds and characters look nice, enemies don't look quite as silly/cute as I was afraid of. All the systems, straight out of the golden years of Castlevania. Soul capturing, equipping them, etc....

The first boss though....didn't really expect to see that much jiggle physics. That and it was just kind of a mess, crazy bright colors splattered everywhere, big cartoony face in her belly and the aforementioned giant knockers. Kind of hoping that doesn't become a theme with this game.

If it makes you feel better... Probably not

You see the reason there was a big breasted woman as a boss... Is because the main character is a small breasted woman.

And Small breasted women have an eternal rivalry against large breasted women.

It is a Japanese Trite Anime thing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We'll have to see. It wouldn't be the first time some rockstar of old started running their own studio as the boss and discovered there's a reason publishers sometimes need to filter their creativity. :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4