Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: King angry! King smash!  (Read 1959 times)

ADDBoy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
King angry! King smash!
« on: December 04, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

Okay, so here's my dilemma (some SECRET FUN STUFF ahead). First year, I was digging out my fortress, preparing rooms for future immigrants and workshop spaces, when I hit adamantine. Since I've read the wiki and the forums pretty regularly, I knew that I would get a king in my next migrant wave. So, I sped up fortress production a bit, but at the time I only had 16 dwarves, so I couldn't really accomplish much.

The migrants come, with the king as expected, and I assign them all rooms, and everything's fine for a few seasons. Later on, my fisherdwarf got attacked by a giant cave swallow (along with his adopted kittens   :( ). This isn't much of an issue, untill I bury the unfortunate dwarf. As it turns out, the king didn't like that this "nobody" fisherdwarf got his own private coffin, and he hadn't been assigned one yet! The king gets mad, throws something, and punches someone before calming down. Next, he discovers that my clerk has an office all to himself! Cue tantrum #2, no major damage (partially because it happens while the king is asleep). Now his bedroom is sub-standard, and he destroys my main bridge on tantrum 3.

Is there any way I can temporarily placate my king while I build a more royal bedroom, throne room, and crypt for him, before he destroys anything else?

edit: Never mind, the king just went melancholy.   :confused:

[ December 04, 2007: Message edited by: ADDBoy ]

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: King angry! King smash!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

The way I dealt with my adamantine king was to make him a nice bedroom and coffin inside the adamantine pit and then lock him inside. Once he starved to death I buried him in there and sealed it up.

I didn't see if a replacement would eventually come or not, but I played for about another year and a half without one before I stopped playing the fort due to a recurring crash which was probably fixed in a later version, but I never went back.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link