Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: (ISG) Pokemon: Team Plasma Fugitive  (Read 11999 times)

Vacio

• Bay Watcher
  • I have awoken from my long slumber....
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) Pokemon: Team Plasma Fugitive
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2015, 01:56:46 pm »

My only question is whether you can achieve Pidgey flight with a flock. Just tie 35 Pidgey's together. Through their combined powers, we shall obtain flight.

I actually remember one of the PTA/PTU versions actually said that was possible in the rulebook once. I think I'll be enforcing a 6 Pokemon Limit here though, just to stop Kyurin from using sheer numbers to ROFLSTOMP the NPCs.
Darn, but will we eventually get a choice to gain an extra slot ever? It would be cool.
Discontinued Game
Los Diablos

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2015, 02:01:14 pm »

I too pity Chuck.

Get out of the box and into our hearts you loveable scamp!
+1
Max avatar size is 80x80

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2015, 03:17:33 pm »

The lucky thing is that the Core Book for PTU has got us covered for Pidgey Storm 7.

Spoiler: Splat (click to show/hide)

By these rules... Let's say we have like, 30 Level 5 Battle Pidgeys. An entire box full of this loveable badass.

Spoiler: This Badass (click to show/hide)

So. We have 30 Pidgey's at Swarm Size 3 with the following stats:

Pidgey Level 5
HPTotal: 39
HP: 8
Attack:  9
Defense:  4
Special Attack:  4
Special Defense:  4
Speed: 13

As a Swarm, however, they add together to have 117 Total Hit Points, forming Swarm Level 3. In effect, they can take up four attacks per turn. Which isn't bad by any means. So, let's talk damage.

Let's say all 4 actions are spent tackling. Each Tackle averages on 25 Damage. If each of those were a Tackle and assuming they all hit, total damage would be 100. Luckily, each tackle is calculated manually and factors in defense. If you had say... A Squirtle at 17 DEF, then total damage would be reduced to a much more bearable, yet still painful 32 Damage. Rock-Types and Steel-Types however may only be taking the minimum of 4 Damage if their defenses are high enough. Basically a low-defense Pokémon is going to be brutalized against a Swarm, but those that have more defense isn't going to feel it.

---

So, a 30 Pidgey Swarm would be a bit frightening, but I imagine that any well armed group of PCs or NPCs could handle it. The real question is whether your Command is high enough to make that many Pidgeys do what you want. I'd institute Command Checks to control the flock. Kyurin's roflflock would meet it's match against his only average command. He'd manage to get possibly get some of them to what he wants, but eventually his plans would fall apart due to an inability to control the chaotic mass of feathers and assorted bird noises.

He'd probably be better served by raising a single Pidgeot, which are just all around more efficient at flying. However, Pidgey's do have a Power Capability of 1, meaning that they can lift about 2-5 lbs with ease. With 30 of them, that's about 60 to 180 lbs depending on interpretation. Although he cannot control them all, he could potentially use them to fly since he's a rather light character. It might just take a bit to get them all flying in the right direction is all.

---

As for the 6 Pokémon rule, it's for the best. If you compare PTU to something like DnD, you have a lot more moving parts. Each PC can be up to seven different characters in a battle depending on how many Pokémon they have on them.You absolutely must set a limit somewhere. Otherwise, combat situations are going to take a very long period to be resolved. This is also why the Swarm Mechanic is a thing. Because at some point, you do have to wonder just what a flock of Pidgey's would look like.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2015, 11:55:27 pm »

What happens if you have a swarm of 12-14 Pokemon?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2015, 12:08:05 am »

Oh, and for using the rest of our time, lets look for a general store, if we find one, purchase a map of the surrounding areas, and look for a brochure detailing anything big going on.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2015, 07:55:53 am »

Probably more controllable, but at point they are basically a normal Pokemon with two attacks. You'd have the same effect with just two Pidgeys. Usually, you can only command one Pokémon at a time though, save for special circumstances.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2015, 08:16:57 am »

Oh, and for using the rest of our time, lets look for a general store, if we find one, purchase a map of the surrounding areas, and look for a brochure detailing anything big going on.

+1

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2015, 08:31:18 am »

+1
While I agree on the sentiment, just downloading such a map would take far less time. Unless our battery is very limited, then we might want that map either way.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2015, 05:20:14 pm »

Probably more controllable, but at point they are basically a normal Pokemon with two attacks. You'd have the same effect with just two Pidgeys. Usually, you can only command one Pokémon at a time though, save for special circumstances.
I was pointing out a gap in the table.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2015, 08:01:14 pm »

If there is still time to kill, if there is no need to go to the general store, and if there are no events to address, then we should go to the polluted waters of Gateon Port to fish.
Max avatar size is 80x80

majinonifox1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2015, 02:46:27 pm »

If there is still time to kill, if there is no need to go to the general store, and if there are no events to address, then we should go to the polluted waters of Gateon Port to fish.
+1
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]