Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Workshop Quantity Curiosity  (Read 3997 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop Quantity Curiosity
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 08:08:16 pm »

I once had about 12-16 masonry workshops going non-stop making rock blocks for a small megaproject in a community fort-I only had a year to do it in. 

I might get as many as 9 wood furnaces in my current fort, but I doubt I'll actually need more than 7.  (Steel armor for the whole fort is going to take up lots of carbon, especially if I insist on it being masterwork...)

You can melt steel weaponry with just magma.  Sure, it's not perfectly efficient, but if you're feeling exploity, combining a bolt splitter or excess leggings with melting should keep you into steel. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 04:50:47 pm »

I once had about 12-16 masonry workshops going non-stop making rock blocks for a small megaproject in a community fort-I only had a year to do it in. 

I might get as many as 9 wood furnaces in my current fort, but I doubt I'll actually need more than 7.  (Steel armor for the whole fort is going to take up lots of carbon, especially if I insist on it being masterwork...)

You can melt steel weaponry with just magma.  Sure, it's not perfectly efficient, but if you're feeling exploity, combining a bolt splitter or excess leggings with melting should keep you into steel.
I'm aware. I've tried to use it before, but the FPS hit I took from so many dwarves trying to path through all the mining areas, and not just the miners/stone haulers, has previously made such forts non-viable, so when the trees became multi tile (and thus viable as a fuel source for mass steel production), I switched over to the surface.

Maybe my next fortress I'll give magma smelting with minecart-based hauling a try, since my new computer is holding up so well.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2015, 11:12:47 am »

I'm aware. I've tried to use it before, but the FPS hit I took from so many dwarves trying to path through all the mining areas, and not just the miners/stone haulers, has previously made such forts non-viable, so when the trees became multi tile (and thus viable as a fuel source for mass steel production), I switched over to the surface.

Maybe my next fortress I'll give magma smelting with minecart-based hauling a try, since my new computer is holding up so well.

I've got a cart-based magma reservoir in my current fort.  It takes a while to set up,  but works like a charm once complete.  (It took until near the start of year 3, but I had multiple projects going, and the largest time waster was re-designating channels because just digging channels straight down kept having miners climb out when they got thirsty after just 3 z-levels, forcing me to manually re-designate a new dig and wall construction for water-tight channeling for the aquifer-to-magma-sea water pipe for the waterwheels.  Just making the powerplant at Z110 and vertical axles all the way down would have been easier...) Magma pistons are also viable, but probably take even more time to complete, considering it involves more excavation. 

When I want magma forges in a hurry, though, I just build a second fort on the magma pipe.  If you just dig a drop-chute, you can chuck food via cart down into the deeps, and once you build a cart route back up, can easily ship metal goods back up to the surface.  (And such a drop and return, once connected to a magma source, can easily be altered into a magmacart track...)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 11:28:06 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 2 [3]