Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Winter Y1 VIGNETTE  (Read 18638 times)

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG] : Winter Y1 VIGNETTE
« on: June 13, 2015, 04:42:43 am »

Ages ago, the people who have now called you into creation were one. Sons and daughters of the mythic dragons' will, the kobolds were a force to be reckoned with. They were 'dragonkin,' mortal children of the closest beings to the gods of the world. It was assured they would rule the world - until the Betrayal.

You were betrayed by your own kind, by the other, lesser gods, jealous of the beings you brought into creation. The dragons were too great, their children too numerous. The gods of man, of elf, of fae and dwarf banded together to slay you and to curse your children and grandchildren. They succeeded, or so they thought; you disappeared, and the dragons were destroyed. The kobolds were cursed, scattered from their cities and morphed by powerful magics to little more than beasts.

But they did not truly succeed; you did not die. You only slept, and for ages you have slept as the traitorous gods have continued to guide their disgustingly lesser races.

Now, however, you have awoken. You feel belief stirring, but it is faint. The beast has given way to tribes, and one of your grandchildren seeks the divine. It is only one, but one spark of belief is all you need to awake.

You must live again, and bring your people to glory. First, though, you must orient yourself.

You find your kin have split into four factions, and while they are all certainly kobolds, each is different.

The Atzli are the closest to the old selves. They are a warrior people, scratching out a living in the Desolation of Arsannit, a vast desert that came into being when the lesser gods smote your children. They know little to nothing of agriculture, and make their time hiding in sandstone caves and raiding caravans travelling between Tawold and Bemlundr. The spirits of the Atzli will grant you influence over the sphere of War.

The Shoulle live in the cool, misty forests of the Twilight Vale. They are reclusive and suspicious of the outside world. They remember the Fall, as they call it, though it is much superstition and folktale. They have some magic in their veins, though it is barely tapped by shamans and witch doctors. They sustain themselves by gathering in the plentiful woods and growing a variety of mushrooms on dead trees called 'scratches.' They are quite vicious when provoked, however, and will readily consume anything that tries to invade their space. The spirits of the Shoulle will grant you influence over the sphere of Magic.

The Evara people were once a sect of followers under one of your most trusted children, a great Wyvern who blessed them with the power of flight. While they no longer retain the ability, their stunted wings do allow them the ability to glide and aid in swimming as well. They live in the mountains north of Gabundush, the fragmented remains of a once great fae empire. You are pleased at the empire's fall, but it seems as though your grandchildren have actually established some vague trust with the creatures.They make their living weaving rare mountain shrubs into all manner of clothing and furniture, while trading with the faltering city for goods. They are decent at cultivating Mistberries, a plant that grows only on the highest mountain and is highly valued for its hallucinogenic effects. The spirits of the Evara will grant you influence over the sphere of Diplomacy.

Finally, the Krou live in the great salt lake south of the Ilechy River. They have adapted to become semi-aquatic even in extremely salty environs, absorbing oxygen through semi-soft skin. It is not enough to keep under forever, but it allows them to stay under for upward of half an hour. They use this ability to farm a specialized form of kelp in the brackish lake, and use the river's yearly floods to fertilize a variety of other plants along its banks. They also harvest fish cared for in the lake.They are occasionally harassed by raids from Harpool, who covet their bountiful crops. The spirits of the Krou will grant you influence over the sphere of Nature.

As you consider your peoples' new forms, you realise you must choose your manifestation form. You come up with four ideas that seem fitting, based on your short 'catching up' with the kobolds.

The dragon is the oldest form, and the first you took. Taking this form will make it easier to gain followers, but it may be extremely difficult to get them to change. This form will reawaken the old ways and they will be resistant to new ideas or forms of thought. Tradition is king. This form will grant you influence over the sphere of Strength.

The winged serpent is a great beast of several eyes and infinite, shifting colors. It is a dazzling creature, and should you take it you will become even more glorious when you manifest. This form will inspire your people towards new methods of thought and ideas, but it may take more effort to convince them not to simply stop believing in you from over-rationalization! This form will grant you influence over the sphere of Intelligence.

The two headed wyvern is a modification of your old children who took to the skies. They were the first to modify their bodies, and you always admired them for their quick tongues and agile selves. The fast talk of two heads in unison is somewhat hypnotic and eases your ability to negotiate, making it easier to settle events and feuds, as well as aiding in your peoples' diplomatic efforts. This form will grant you influence over the sphere of Charisma.

Finally, the demon of eyes is a form you took once, long ago, before the dream of dragons ever sparked into your consciousness. It is the stuff of terror, but even now it is something that appears in dreams all over the world. All races will fear your terrible visage should you manifest; gaining followers will be extremely difficult, but if they are convinced they will become unshakeable zealots. This is the only form that is likely to gain cross-racial followers early on. This form will grant you influence over the sphere of Fear.

Now you must decide:

Which of your people has begun to pray for a god:
Which form will you take:
Will your first believer be a Prophet or Shaman:
Are they male or female:
What will your people call you:

Spoiler: Explanation (click to show/hide)

UPDATES

1 | 2 | 3 | 4

If you have a question about something you may or may not know IC, ask in lime green.

Answers to questions will be posted in orange.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 07:33:47 am by variablenonsense »
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the (Kobold) God [ISG]
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 06:13:40 am »

Pretty cool.
>Say Pazuzu three times. Wish for a Candle of Invocation, become the omnipotent god of kobolds.

I wanna be a racial deity. And the winged serpent is pretty. I'm unsure what the difference between prophet and shaman is, but guessing shaman has magic ability while prophet is better at prophet like stuff like being your mouthpiece and converting people to worshiping you.

Which of your people has begun to pray for a god: Shoulle
Which form will you take: winged serpent
Will your first believer be a Prophet or Shaman: Shaman
Are they male or female: Male
What will your people call you: Tzlirangra

Honestly, I'd be happy with most any configuration of the available options, they all have their own advantages. But, altough the Diplomacy and Charisma spheres seems like they'd be useful in getting more worshipers, they're the least appealing to me at the moment, not least because that wyvern looks like a idiot.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:22:49 am by Demonic Spoon »

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 06:16:30 am »

Sorry, I forgot I put it under the spoiler.

"You will begin with one Prophet or Shaman. You may manifest to a Prophet directly at no cost, but others will not see you. Manifesting to a Shaman will take either Influence (a quarter as much as manifesting elsewhere, while lasting ten times as long) or resources as the Shaman conducts a huge ritual. Manifesting to a Shaman will allow others to see you, though there is no way to guarantee that they will believe that you are anything more than a hallucination."

It affects how you spread your word and how you can manifest to your followers. It will affect other things later, but they're a secret for now.  :P

Edit: You also made me snicker at saying the wyvern looks like an idiot. Now I feel like I should re-draw it. 'cause it does look like an idiot.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:18:58 am by variablenonsense »
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 06:17:44 am »

Okay, shaman seems more appealing then. Editing.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 08:39:51 am »

Magic and intelligence.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 08:44:27 am »

I think that magic and nature would be the most useful racial spheres, but don't much like the shoulle's aesthetics.
I don't want to go traditionalist, progress-but-few-worshipers, or everything-fears-us. Charisma should be good for getting us more worshipers or out of unfavorable battles, so that's useful.

Which of your people has begun to pray for a god: Krou Evara
Which form will you take: Two-headed wyvern Winged serpent
Will your first believer be a Prophet or Shaman: Prophet
Are they male or female: Male
What will your people call you: Tzlirangra

Edit: Vote changed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:20:44 pm by Nirur Torir »

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 08:53:16 am »

I think we should go with the demon of eyes, since kobolds good zergs.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 09:28:58 am »

I vote Evara as the kobolds who awakens us, and for our god form i vote two headed wyvern

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 09:52:23 am »

Shoulle and the winged serpent. I want a genius magitek society.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 10:52:26 am »

Which of your people has begun to pray for a god: It is the Evara, gifting us the sphere of Diplomacy
Which form will you take: Our form will be the Demon of Eyes, granting us the sphere of Fear
Will your first believer be a Prophet or Shaman: A Shaman - Our children shall know what terrors their enemies will face!
Are they male or female: Soley based on their sometimes shrewder nature, our first follower shall be Female.
What will your people call you: For our people, we shall be N'gzal; The Vengeful One.

Fear & Diplomacy. This should make for a very interesting combination - or rather, gameplay.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 11:00:27 am »

Vote count so far:
3 votes each for Shoulle and Evara.
2 votes each for every form except dragon.
2 votes for shaman, 1 for prophet.
2 votes for male, 1 vote for female.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 11:06:19 am »

Which of your people has begun to pray for a god: It is the Evara, gifting us the sphere of Diplomacy
Which form will you take: Our form will be the Demon of Eyes, granting us the sphere of Fear
Will your first believer be a Prophet or Shaman: A Shaman - Our children shall know what terrors their enemies will face!
Are they male or female: Soley based on their sometimes shrewder nature, our first follower shall be Female.
What will your people call you: For our people, we shall be N'gzal; The Vengeful One.

Fear & Diplomacy. This should make for a very interesting combination - or rather, gameplay.
+1
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 11:42:14 am »

Fear+diplomacy is a pretty strange combination. I'd much rather have intelligence+diplomacy.

I'm changing my vote from wyvern to winged serpent.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 03:14:13 pm »

Female.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 03:36:44 pm »

Atzli and Winged serpent

War and intelligence = great fun