Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven emotions- over the top?  (Read 4584 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven emotions- over the top?
« on: December 04, 2007, 09:16:00 pm »

My dwarves recently had a skirmish with the goblins. In the end, 5 dwarves lost their lives, but the goblins were routed.

You'd think that in a time of hardship dwarves would band together and help eachother out. Turns out they'd much rather run around naked and beat the crap out of eachother while their supplies dwindle down to nothing!    :o

[ December 04, 2007: Message edited by: Wiles ]

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven emotions- over the top?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »

Okay, I laughed.

It's true, the dwarves of Armok are rather nutty.

iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »

Slaves to armok, Armok being a moody, blood loving psychopath, I dont really see a mild mannered, people loving, happy and joyful community stemming from that.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 09:57:00 pm »

I don't think it's a good idea for the game's default settings feature sentient creatures whose very lives are dependent upon practically bipolar mood swings. Dwarves in particular are usually portrayed as an emotionally solid people, but as it is one unfortunate event will spark a rapid downward spiral, particularly if the player doesn't have perfect knowledge of the ways good/bad thoughts are generated.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

It was pretty funny. My guards were made up of military rejects that were crippled for life.

Monom Breadedchambers, Guard cancels beating:Unconscious

My tantruming dwarves had the run of the fortress.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 12:50:00 am »

It gets even better!

Dwarves were running amok. One dwarf sat calmly in the dwarven zoo. Almost as if he knew what was going to happen. An angry dwarf stormed in and broke apart the Titan's cage. Datan Regaban sacrificed his life, severely wounding the Titan. Most of the other dwarves were much too busy beating eachother up to notice what was going on. The few who did notice had no problems handling the wounded titan.

Chaos still rules in Trustlances. The chains in the prison are being destroyed. I'm not sure if it's by tantrumming prisoners, or other dwarves. The captain of the guard has been murdered! Madness is spreading like a plague.

More dwarves have died from infighting than had fallen from the goblin conflict.  There doesn't seem to be any end to the fighting in sight.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 01:10:00 am »

Civil war is very entertaining.  Please keep us up to date!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 01:21:00 am »

Yeah, the dwarven race of DF is definitely not a particularly stable bunch. They obviously need anger management.

quote:

You come down here before the black wolf swallows my brain! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 04:48:00 am »

What you need to do is find a sane miner/engraver, let him stripmine an entire level of rock, put a table in it and designate it as dining room. Because of the size it will still be considered legendary and your dwarves will stop trantuming.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 05:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>What you need to do is find a sane miner/engraver, let him stripmine an entire level of rock, put a table in it and designate it as dining room. Because of the size it will still be considered legendary and your dwarves will stop trantuming.</STRONG>

An *entire level*? That's a *lot* of space. A 10x10 room with double engravings and furniture made by a higher-skilled mason will do just as well.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 11:05:00 pm »

I did have a legendary dining room with nice furniture. Until the dwarves decided to wreck the place!

Trustlances is spiraling down to it's doom. Beatings, vandalism and murder are common occurances. Some dwarves were taking the initiative to throw parties to help lighten the mood. Unfortunately these gatherings attract dwarves with murderous intent and invariably end in death.

When I thought things couldn't get any worse, they did. The goblins angry at being chased away came back the very next season. They caught sight of a lone fisherman and chased him back to the fortress. The dwarves were to busy fighting eachother to care about the goblins outside. The goblins killed all the dwarves who were just outside the fortress entrance before being chased away by war dogs. Now they are milling about a safe distance from the fort. There are not enough military dwarves left alive to field a counter-attack. It looks like the dwarves are going to have to wait out this siege. I fear the goblins are the least of their problem, though.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 11:16:00 pm »

I think that maybe there should be a happy thought associated with driving an enemy off and successfully defending the fortress; that way, dwarves that win a hard-fought battle with a few casualties might have some sad thoughts at their loss, but they won't start smashing up their own fortress and going insane with grief during the Dwarven V-Day.

[ December 05, 2007: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 11:26:00 pm »

I think masterpiece losses should be toned down a bit. My master armourer had his chainmail stolen so he complained to the mayor. In the middle of the meeting he ripped both my mayors lungs out with his bare hands. That concluded the negotiations.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 11:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dwarmin:
<STRONG>I think masterpiece losses should be toned down a bit. My master armourer had his chainmail stolen so he complained to the mayor. In the middle of the meeting he ripped both my mayors lungs out with his bare hands. That concluded the negotiations.</STRONG>

...this is the epitome of all things Dwarven.

I'm curious as to what happened to that armorer.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 11:59:00 pm »

I had a similar occasion, where an angry animal caretaker had a meeting with my mayor. He walked into the room, started the meeting, immediately had a tantrum and punched my mayor in the gut, then tore off his left leg. He calmed down and my mayor continued the meeting as though nothing had happened, despite bleeding to death shortly after.
Pages: [1] 2