Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven emotions- over the top?  (Read 4585 times)

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven emotions- over the top?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 03:16:00 am »

We need a DR Phil Dwarf.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 04:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keilden:
<STRONG>We need a DR Phil Dwarf.</STRONG>

You know, actually, that isn't such a bad idea.

What if there was a new class of 'noble' dwarf once your fortress reached a certain size. Call him the.. I don't know. Maybe just 'Diplomat', or 'Placater' or something. He'd be as annoying as most other nobles (for the most part) - he'd have high requirements and would be able to create mandates, et cetera.

However, s/he would also serve an important purpose: whenever a tantrum occurred, they would immediately respond by going to the scene and calming the tantrumming dwarf down. The chance of success would depend on a combination of their Pacifier, Persuader, Consoler, and Negotiator skills, which would all increase from calming dwarves down.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 05:35:00 am »

Doesn't the expedition leader/mayor fill that role?  The Dwarves come to him, but he still calms them down by letting them yell at him (That's apparently the actual happy thought they get).

Then again, looking at the above posts about such therapy sessions leaving the mayor dead or severely maimed...  

It's an even better idea!

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 06:56:00 am »

Sometimes they get happy by crying during a meeting too. Depends on the dwarf's personality I think.  Either way, it's hilarious.   :D
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 10:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dullard:
<STRONG>

You know, actually, that isn't such a bad idea.

What if there was a new class of 'noble' dwarf once your fortress reached a certain size. Call him the.. I don't know. Maybe just 'Diplomat', or 'Placater' or something. He'd be as annoying as most other nobles (for the most part) - he'd have high requirements and would be able to create mandates, et cetera.

However, s/he would also serve an important purpose: whenever a tantrum occurred, they would immediately respond by going to the scene and calming the tantrumming dwarf down. The chance of success would depend on a combination of their Pacifier, Persuader, Consoler, and Negotiator skills, which would all increase from calming dwarves down.</STRONG>

You could also call them the arbitrator dwarf. THey solve fights and arguments.

Still, I think some of the fun is having angry dwarves running around breaking stuff, so they should never have a 100% success rate, just a very good one.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>

You could also call them the arbitrator dwarf. THey solve fights and arguments.

Still, I think some of the fun is having angry dwarves running around breaking stuff, so they should never have a 100% success rate, just a very good one.</STRONG>

Yep, I agree. There should be no way to totally eliminate the possibility of a paranoid meltdown in your fort, just a semi-reliable way to try and prevent it.

And, heck.. it could always be made more 'interesting' if the arbitrator dwarf got closer to tantrumming each time they calmed another dwarf down due to job stress. Because you know once your peacekeeper goes ballistic, you're just screwed.   :D

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 11:38:00 am »

Maybe the rare chance for the arbitrator negotiating with the tantrumer to say the wrong thing. A very, very wrong thing. Something that makes the tantrumer immediately snap and go berserk :P

Has an upside, so it needed a downside too.

Tyrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »

Dwarven Psychiatrist.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 02:35:00 am »

IF dwarfs had TV we would have alot of talkshows.
Tonigh on Rikiti Flood: My husband tore of my limbs.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Black Line

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 08:15:00 am »

With his mouth! Her husband comes in and fingers the audience *The audience has become enraged* *Dogrim (husband) dodges the flying chair* *Dr. Phil is struck in the head by the flying ear, It is lopped off*

[ December 07, 2007: Message edited by: Black Line ]

elp build Alabelina click >here<
Here have a cookie

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 09:18:00 am »

Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »

It's the strong dwarven passion that lets them create such masterful crafts and legendary fortresses.  Unfortunately, this also has its drawbacks.
Pages: 1 [2]