Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Children and moods  (Read 592 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Children and moods
« on: January 17, 2016, 10:51:55 pm »

PLEASE PLEASE make children that get a mood grab a random workshop, don't restrict them to craftsdwarves workshop.
Or just make children unmoodable alltogether.

Tired of forts full off woodcrafters
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Children and moods
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 01:04:46 am »

The whole strange mood mechanic is due for replacing at some point, I think.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 02:25:05 pm »

I'd just remove them from molding. Aside from killing the kids, the best you can do is exploit mood weights. Smithing moods trigger more frequently than kids.  If you have groomed 30 dwarves for weapon smithing, then you heavily tip the scales against a low-weight craft-by-default mood.

To clarify, a STONECRAFTER has the same weight as a weaponsmith. A child (farmer, trader, or any other "non-mooding" profession) that defaults to crafting has less than a third chance of triggering. Sadly, professions like engraver and miner count as moods, but at least they are also low-weight like children.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:36:29 pm by Niddhoger »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:29:28 pm »

Children should generate artifact toys.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map