Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trap upgrade ideas  (Read 835 times)

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
trap upgrade ideas
« on: June 13, 2015, 11:16:05 pm »

hello all, i am currently working on setting up some traps for my dead fall room, for some reason even a drop of 20 z levels still leaves some creatures alive, so i am setting up weapon traps at the bottom of each pit... my question is which poisons or which upgrades would deal the best damage

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: trap upgrade ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 01:19:12 am »

Generally, I've had one heck of a time making anything that isn't a weapon trap, kill things. I've had enemies leap off, down a 40 Z level drop onto up right steel spearsx10 - and basically just get scratched... the whole logistics behind fall damage is absurd, haha.

For traps, use Weapon Traps. Axe heads, Saw Blades, or hell, the weapons of dead siegers work brilliantly on almost anything. Do note, if you play with siegers above 0 skill level (set in GUI) - they WILL avoid traps a ALOT as traps have 0 'skill level' and no way to improve it, that I'm aware of.

If you don't mind a manual 'clean up the pitfall' - you can rig spear traps (assuming your pitfalls are small, narrow areas easily rigging 20-40 spear traps on), wire them to a lever, and then when you get a bunch of morons stuck down there, have a dwarf cackle madly and throw the switch repeatedly. Quite... fun to watch them desperately dodge and run in circles trying to escape the hundreds of spear skewering and tearing them to bits... ;)

If you want fancy-pants, you can rig a simple drowning trap too. 2 z level deep 7 water, then have bridges that close over top the water to trap the buggers below, and watch them drown. Very cheap to do this, but effective clean up of pit falls.

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 11:41:31 pm »

so far this is what i have a 31x31 area that is 23 z levels down (yes it took a while to channel all that out, including digging through the first cavern layer. at the rate of 2 out of 10 creatures dying from the fall i am at a loss to why they wont die. i am upgrading green glass sawblades into serrated plus all the venom and poisons i can find and putting those into weapon traps under each of my pitfalls

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 04:10:17 pm »

so far this is what i have a 31x31 area that is 23 z levels down (yes it took a while to channel all that out, including digging through the first cavern layer. at the rate of 2 out of 10 creatures dying from the fall i am at a loss to why they wont die. i am upgrading green glass sawblades into serrated plus all the venom and poisons i can find and putting those into weapon traps under each of my pitfalls

If you're interested, I can show you a very efficient, low-cost, low-effort, hellishly efficient 'pitfall' layout. May take me a day or two (As I need to create one in my current fort, to show for example). A fallacy of Weapon traps and such, is some of the harder siegers (or specific undead variations, thieves, etc) are immune to traps (even if they fall on them, sometimes they won't work).

That's why I use spear-traps. Even trap-avoid mobs will be hit by them, as they are 'manually activated' by a dwarf using a lever. If you can simply keep the area they land very small, and the exit in/out to one single door (preferably artifact level door, as building destroyers cannot break down artifact doors), you can literally kill ANYTHING in the game beyond some freakish titan made of steel or such with like, 200 spears and 20 mechanisms.

I don't even use this anymore, as I was so bored at how easy I could kill anything, including 'happy fun things from below'. Poisons and all that are unnecessary.

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:49:35 pm »

at the moment that world is dead, i was working on some stuff when our power went out and somehow it corrupted my 9 year fort