Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rogue System, a DCS-like in space  (Read 4106 times)

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rogue System, a DCS-like in space
« on: June 14, 2015, 04:49:10 am »

Hello, dwellers of the "Other Games" subforum. I'm here to spread the word of a certain very hardcore space flight sim. Think of it as Orbiter turned into a proper game, or DCS in space. Superb sound design, great ambiance and realism. Done by just one guy at the time of this post. Oh, and I'm not affiliated to the project in any way, but I am publicizing it to you because I think you should throw all your money in its general direction.

Mandatory Scott Manley video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vziIgAtD66s

Here are some tutorials showing how meaty it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGFlrRfVeNA&list=PLLY_KGBSBGjUj43qYF1wMQiHsPEZbaaJn

And the site for the game itself:
http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/

Here's an hour long livestream with an impromptu developer interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebHu8FbkvuY

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue System, a DCS-like in space
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 10:07:40 am »

I was wondering when that would come up, i have been following him closely for a long time now and the game is finaly starting to show some real meat and god will he be big and juicy. For an indie guy its very well done and i am waiting eagerly for what the game will have to show us. Ship being modeled down to every single swtiches and stuff is something you will have to think about during firefight, not just pew pew pew till one explode, well a little bit but you will have to survive the encounter well after the skirmish due to your damage that might be critical!

Man ohh man.... Keep it in the corner of your eye at all time because it will be worth it.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 06:25:36 pm »

ptw

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 08:13:57 pm »

The few i watched from the video looked great, definitively the game for people that like simulation and enjoy Orbiter so much.

But i will have to wait how it develop regarding the "complete campaign-driven sim on its own. It utilizes both dynamic as well as scripted missions to allow for greater replay-ability while telling an intriguing story.", as from the video it does not seem near there yet.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 08:17:29 pm »

This looks like it would be great with immersive VR.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 08:46:27 pm »

Looks neat, but what's DCS?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 01:25:23 am »

super detailed airplane simulation series...all the little buttons work :P

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 07:23:41 am »

Looks neat, but what's DCS?
DCS means Digital Combat Simulator , their games have indepth simulation with interactive cockpits (for the A-10C. Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8, P-51D) :
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:29:18 am by Robsoie »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 01:39:27 pm »

So I watched scott's video. The game looks very interesting and has a ton of neat little buttons and switches. But if the goal is realism, wouldn't some of this stuff be automated?

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 02:28:09 pm »

So I watched scott's video. The game looks very interesting and has a ton of neat little buttons and switches. But if the goal is realism, wouldn't some of this stuff be automated?

Its target audience likes buttons and switches, thus it's better to err on the side of more buttons and switches (maybe they should add a lever or two?).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 02:31:18 pm »

I am definitely not the target audience of this game.

I already was lost the last time I played a game where the entire gimmick was that you were on one giant fully simulated space ship.

Man this ship is so inefficient

I somehow suspect the Space shuttle had simpler controls then this. You didn't have to go through 5 buttons just to turn on the cockpit light.

Yeah this game flat out has no mass appeal. It definitely needs its own cult following.

Yeah if you don't LOVE that first video... Don't get the game. You have to LOVE button pressing action.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:41:37 pm by Neonivek »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 03:10:42 pm »

I love the concept of the game. I hope it works with Oculus Rift, and I get an Oculus Rift, and I can manipulate buttons, knobs and levers with hands instead of using a mouse.

I thought I heard of this game before, but if it wasn't this forum then it was probably Aurora where something being complex is not so daunting.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 03:20:53 pm »

I already was lost the last time I played a game where the entire gimmick was that you were on one giant fully simulated space ship.

I somehow suspect the Space shuttle had simpler controls then this. You didn't have to go through 5 buttons just to turn on the cockpit light.

Yeah this game flat out has no mass appeal. It definitely needs its own cult following.

Yeah if you don't LOVE that first video... Don't get the game. You have to LOVE button pressing action.
You do know there will be or there is already an automatic startup sequence right?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 03:23:24 pm »

You do know there will be or there is already an automatic startup sequence right?
I didn't know this.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 03:48:37 pm »

This game seems masochistic.
Pages: [1] 2