Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 57

Author Topic: EOTFS: Emperor Wars - Game Over.  (Read 62616 times)

Vertab Nukks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Appointment with Destiny
« Reply #405 on: September 18, 2015, 08:17:39 am »

Duke Flavius Yue Se Chou Kung Li Halan stood sipping his morning tea on the north facing balcony of the Sing Palace located inside the walled off quarter of the Celestial City Shang Kong that is in the center of Escoral the Capital City of Kish.

In the distance the church bells of Zebulon’s Cathedral could be heard ringing to call the faithful to their morning prayers.  Escoral was a vibrant city that was an example of Li Halan ingenuity and hard work.  Built on the eastern edge of Lake Cordimo it represented the Li Halan triumph over the harsh deserts  that comprise most of Kish.

The Duke’s thoughts wandered reflecting on recent events…the death of Princess Melissa…a kind young woman whose death was unnecessary.  She bore the same name of the Duke’s own mother the Duchess Melissa Li Halan.  His grandfather Prince Justinian Shanquan Li Halan had wed his mother to Flavius’ father the Count Stephano de Montana Hazat of Vera Cruz after the Count came to Prince Justinian’s aid by defeating the rebels of Count Junjin’s New Traditionalist Army comprised of the Tian-Long Li Halan clans.

The Duchess taught young Flavius the Li Halan “Way of Heavan” while his father encouraged him to embrace the martial ways of the Hazat. Both would serve him well as he grew into manhood and would quickly be tested when his father and two younger brothers were slain on Rampart defending Li Halan holdings from the Academians.

Duchess Melissa took the Li Halan throne upon the death of her husband and was quickly beset by enemies from all sides.  The Merchant League seeking to regain lost lands, and minor Li Halan nobles began arming retainers to keep this half-foreign dynasty from flourishing.  Under such pressure she abdicated her throne to Flavius.

Prince Flavius proved a master of the situation, swiftly crushing rebels and promoting unity stressing the “Way of Heaven” over his Hazat blood.  Next, he was proclaimed Halvor’s heir (the first Li Halan Partriarch/Regent) by his Eminence Paulus XI and sent overwhelming forces to seize the majority of Rampart from the Merchant League while ignoring the conquest of Malignatius by the Decados. 

As a result of that decision to take Rampart his mother lost her life when she halted a Decados Armada at Malignatius by ramming her starship the “Sun Dragon” into the Dreadnaught of Admiral Lermatov Decados thus preventing their inevitable invasion of Kish.  This sacrifice by Duchess Melissa at the Battle of the Three Martyrs, also known as the Miracle of Urum, made her a saint in the eyes of the people of Kish and her actions in turn secured Flavius' reign over the Garden Worlds.   

To this day Flavius still blames himself for his mother’s demise, just as he does for the death of his young niece on Icon.  In his mother’s case his eagerness and determination to secure a great victory at Rampart cost him her life and could have cost him his throne and homeworld, and in contrast his delay and capitulation in dealing with the fanatics in the Church cost the life an innocent and faithful young woman.  His daily prayers to the Pancreator sought guidance to avoid these mistakes in the future, and find a balance somewhere between his Li Halan compassion and his Hazat ambition.

“My Lord…” a voice came from behind him as Flavius was stirred from his thoughts. There stood his court scribe bowing respectfully.

“Yes…” replied the Duke.

“The representatives from the Reeves Guild have arrived to go over the details of the purchase of the Novgorod Shipyards on Byzantium Secundus from Prince Vladimir, and a message has also arrived from Pentateuch it is from Baroness Cassandra.” said the scribe.

Flavius took the holopad from his aide and reviewed it contents then handed it back to his servant “Tell the Reeves to reschedule…” the Duke curtly replied as he swiftly walked back into his chambers.

“And what reason should I give them, My Lord...” said the scribe as he tried to keep up with the Duke’s pace.

“Tell them I have an appointment with destiny…” Flavius glibly replied.

Bump this post up since it is in regards to game play.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:34:52 pm by Vertab Nukks »

sk128234

• Bay Watcher
  • King Charles is dead.
    • View Profile
Re: EOTFS: Emperor Wars - Player Found!
« Reply #406 on: September 18, 2015, 08:03:53 pm »

A gentle yellow light bathed the gardens of Castle Furias as the sun rose over the horizon.  The castle was still calm at such an early hour.  Or at least, mostly calm.  For in just a few moments the face of the Hazat would change forever--and absolutely nobody would ever know it.

The sound of footsteps squeaking across the smoothed marble floor didn't echo throughout the corridor, because the person passing through was a consummate professional.  Dressed in black she slinked silently through the soft morning light as it just began to creep through the windows.  Time was running out, but she expected nothing less given all the fortifications surrounding the castle proper.  She and her cohorts had spent years practicing, plotting, and preparing to make it through each and every defense the castle had to offer.  She had spent the last ten hours squeezing through every tunnel, crawlspace, and hole imaginable (and some not imaginable) to get to the center of the fortress.

After a quick drop of oil on the hinges, the door to the grand bedroom didn't squeak as it cracked open.  She entered and quickly closed it behind her.  Before her lay the Baroness of Aragon, matriarch of the Hazat and rightful ruler to the Empire, still sleeping in her luxurious bed.  The guard posted in the room definitely didn't cry out upon seeing the intruder, as he had been handed a small fortune a couple of nights prior in exchange for his being absent on this particular morning.

She pulled out a small dagger bearing the crest of the Hazat.  With a deep breath she plunged it between the Baroness' ribs.  Her eyes shot wide open in pain and a scream filled the room.  With a couple more well-aimed thrusts, the Baroness fell limp.

This guard may have been absent, but it was only a matter of seconds before another would kick in the door.  She removed her black suit, slipped it onto the corpse, and sliced holes to match the stabs she had just delivered.  As the final touch, she sank the dagger into the body and threw it to the wall.

Just then the door crashed open and guards poured into the room.  Their faces gave away their horror, but the captain barely managed to keep his composure.  "Stop!  Identify yourself!"

There is a theory, coming from ancient Holy Terra, that if one tells a big enough lie--a preposterous, outrageous, impossible lie--then it must be true, because only the maddest of men would claim it otherwise.  And in this moment, this theory was put to the test:

"I am Lady Santiago Eduardo d'Arc y de Aragon, Baroness of Aragon and Grand Duchess of the Hazat, and I have dispatched this assassin myself.  Who the hell do you think you are, and where is the guard posted to this room?"

The guards glanced around, then straightened up.  The captain stammered, "Ah, Your Majesty, I d-don't kn-know--"

"Then figure it out!  You have five seconds to get out of my room before I have you all killed.  Find the deserter and bring him to me.  And bring someone to clean this mess."

The guards saluted and shuffled out of the room.  The door slammed shut behind them.

Breathing a sigh of relief she glanced at the regal vestaments laid out for the day.  "I am Lady Santiago...Grand Duchess of the Hazat.

"And I have big plans."

((turn sent.  propaganda fair and balanced news to follow))

Vertab Nukks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hazat Assassin
« Reply #407 on: September 18, 2015, 08:40:07 pm »

Cool write up, I see you are going to fit right in, and here is a cool Hazat Rapier and Domino picture for your story.

A gentle yellow light bathed the gardens of Castle Furias as the sun rose over the horizon.  The castle was still calm at such an early hour.  Or at least, mostly calm.  For in just a few moments the face of the Hazat would change forever--and absolutely nobody would ever know it.

The sound of footsteps squeaking across the smoothed marble floor didn't echo throughout the corridor, because the person passing through was a consummate professional.  Dressed in black she slinked silently through the soft morning light as it just began to creep through the windows.  Time was running out, but she expected nothing less given all the fortifications surrounding the castle proper.  She and her cohorts had spent years practicing, plotting, and preparing to make it through each and every defense the castle had to offer.  She had spent the last ten hours squeezing through every tunnel, crawlspace, and hole imaginable (and some not imaginable) to get to the center of the fortress.

After a quick drop of oil on the hinges, the door to the grand bedroom didn't squeak as it cracked open.  She entered and quickly closed it behind her.  Before her lay the Baroness of Aragon, matriarch of the Hazat and rightful ruler to the Empire, still sleeping in her luxurious bed.  The guard posted in the room definitely didn't cry out upon seeing the intruder, as he had been handed a small fortune a couple of nights prior in exchange for his being absent on this particular morning.

She pulled out a small dagger bearing the crest of the Hazat.  With a deep breath she plunged it between the Baroness' ribs.  Her eyes shot wide open in pain and a scream filled the room.  With a couple more well-aimed thrusts, the Baroness fell limp.

This guard may have been absent, but it was only a matter of seconds before another would kick in the door.  She removed her black suit, slipped it onto the corpse, and sliced holes to match the stabs she had just delivered.  As the final touch, she sank the dagger into the body and threw it to the wall.

Just then the door crashed open and guards poured into the room.  Their faces gave away their horror, but the captain barely managed to keep his composure.  "Stop!  Identify yourself!"

There is a theory, coming from ancient Holy Terra, that if one tells a big enough lie--a preposterous, outrageous, impossible lie--then it must be true, because only the maddest of men would claim it otherwise.  And in this moment, this theory was put to the test:

"I am Lady Santiago Eduardo d'Arc y de Aragon, Baroness of Aragon and Grand Duchess of the Hazat, and I have dispatched this assassin myself.  Who the hell do you think you are, and where is the guard posted to this room?"

The guards glanced around, then straightened up.  The captain stammered, "Ah, Your Majesty, I d-don't kn-know--"

"Then figure it out!  You have five seconds to get out of my room before I have you all killed.  Find the deserter and bring him to me.  And bring someone to clean this mess."

The guards saluted and shuffled out of the room.  The door slammed shut behind them.

Breathing a sigh of relief she glanced at the regal vestaments laid out for the day.  "I am Lady Santiago...Grand Duchess of the Hazat.

"And I have big plans."

((turn sent.  propaganda fair and balanced news to follow))
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:44:57 pm by Vertab Nukks »

Vertab Nukks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ibn Donald Al-Malik Chillaxing
« Reply #408 on: September 18, 2015, 08:42:11 pm »

Bring me another slave girl! haha

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:04:15 pm by Vertab Nukks »

Gollor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 19, 2015, 11:19:01 am »

Turn Sent

ITT
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:18:56 pm by Gollor »

sk128234

• Bay Watcher
  • King Charles is dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 19, 2015, 04:30:17 pm »

Some excerpts from this year's special "Year in Review" edition of

LA GARRA
For over 400 years, the premier publication of Aragon

Everybody Has a Price: The League declares war on the Hazat after a despicable ambush on a single squadron.  But, in a show of the Hazat's legendary military prowess, the outnumbered squadron destroys all four oncoming brigades without taking a scratch.  The squadron are all named Honorary Lords of Aragon for their valor.

Mine, All Mine! Serfs are discovered to have commited atrocious crimes to each other after food on Holy Terra runs out.  The Church, in its infinite "wisdom", doesn't help these innocent laborers because of their ongoing crusade against the Hazat (and every other house, for that matter).  After communications stopped, reconaissance squads find nothing but a mine full of skeletons.

Sutek in the Middle with You: Hazat soldiers and mercenaries proudly declare that the Church has been wiped from Sutek after a cowardly assault by the Church.  Celebrations last for weeks as the planet honors the courageous men and women lost defending the people of that world.

Cruz-ing the Floor: The Archbishop of Vera Cruz sees the light!  He joins the Hazat after realizing the terrible, cult-like ways of the Church.  He is spared corporal punishment in exchange for his denouncement of the disgusting scum that is the Patriarch.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 19, 2015, 06:17:55 pm »

Turn sent
==============

The world of Pentateuch now falls under the victorious banner of House Hawkwood. The oppressive Orthodox Church regime has been overthrown and all practicing Eskatonics are now allowed to worship the Pancreator's glory as they see fit. No inquisitor shall ever again be allowed to return to terrorize the populace. General Aurelian Hawkwood has been granted stewardship of the world as its newest Duke.

Any further colonization by non-Hawkwood settlers is now forbidden and will be considered an act of aggression.

However, Lord Protector Alvarex encourages any party interested in purchasing land for habitation to send a delegation where they will be favorably received.

Vertab Nukks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Holy Terra the Cradle of Humanity
« Reply #412 on: September 19, 2015, 07:53:36 pm »

It is no accident that the first act of the Second Synod was to move the seat of the Orthodoxy from Patriarch Palamedes’ home planet of Midian to Holy Terra.  The cradle of human civilization, billions of humans still consider Holy Terra the purest and most holy of planets.  Indeed there are some compelling reasons to believe that this is so.   Theurgy supposedly works better here than almost anywhere else in the Empire and Urth, as some of its inhabitants call it, was one of the last planets touched by the fading suns phenomenon.  The Holy See has a large population by modern Imperial standards over four billion people call the planet home.   The Church considers native Urthers more holy than those from other planets and jealously guards the planet from change, enforcing strict immigration laws.  Urth natives who travel abroad often find that those from other planets approach them with a mixed sense of curiosity and awe.  Holy Terra is an orderly world on the surface, but this outward calm belies culture rife with political intrigue.

During the First Republic and early Diaspora, Urth became somewhat of an industrial nightmare.  But once the Second Republic took charge a refurbishment movement for the cradle of humanity began.  Under the rule of the Orthodox Church since the Fall, Urth has returned to is idyllic past, vast forests carpet the continents and the buffalo roam again on the North American plains.  But new works are forbidden and new industry or building is allowed, only reconstruction of existing structures is permitted.  The streets of Paris, New York, Jerusalem, Rome, and other cities are like museums of the past with strong ordinances for keeping them that way.

Living conditions, however can become quite cramped, people are not allowed to expand in the parks or pristine regions.  The only way to go is up to space.  The moon, Mars, and the asteroid belt have large colonies, most of them from poor families, or those whose ancestries do not allow them plots on Holy Terra.  Urth is a center of pilgrimage, but to live there requires a certain privilege as decided by the Church.  Industry long ago depleted Urths’ resources, so the rest of the solar system must provide.

The Church tries hard to keep the planet from change.  The technology over most of the Urth is that of the Victorian era at best.  Such folksy living is considered pure by the Chruch, for Urth is meant to be a paradise a reward for the truly devout.

While most ruins on the planet have long since be looted, there are many untouched sites, maintained for their primacy.  These included famous allegedly Ur Sites such as the Sphinx in Africa,  the monument to the Four Wise ones in the Dakota Region of North American, the earth carvings on the Nazca plain in Peru, and more.

The Patriarchal Fleet defends the solar system, and thus the cradle from assault.  However, so many pilgrims come to Urth every day that not everyone can possibly be checked.  The Inquisition (mainly Orthodox here) searches only those vessels or persons that are suspicious.  Most pilgrims are allowed access for the pre-determined time a week or a month (rarely more).  Regardless, only the foolish would attempt to challenge the massive blockade that protects to cradle of humanity.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 08:01:22 pm by Vertab Nukks »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 20, 2015, 07:26:53 am »

What's the general consensus on capturing Church/League landed ships? I can capture what looks like half the League fleet, including the flagship. Because, you know, ever since the ships of the line were given cargo space, the AI feels it's best to use them to transport a few wolfen tank companies.

I think Vertab wrote that he captured Church's flagship a moment ago, so I'm inclined to go ahead with it. On the other hand it feels somewhat exploity. On the third hand it's such a tempting prospect. On the fourth hand (I'mma Vorox) it's League ships, so they might just as well crash my economy.

Vertab Nukks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 20, 2015, 07:54:14 am »

Il Palazzo, capturing League and Church ships is fair game, but like you said the League ships maintenance costs are a pain on the treasury.  But regardless, I think capturing landed ships is completely allowed that is why we have the unload your troops rule.

Also, on the fifth hand you can let me know where they are at and I will capture them with the Imperial Eye and let the Imperial Treasury pay for them.  :)

I have calculated if it is the Dreadnaught, Cruisers, and Support Ships you are expecting to pay somewhere between 45,000 to 60,000 Firebirds per turn.  That is a hefty chunk of change. haha
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:15:11 am by Vertab Nukks »

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 20, 2015, 09:42:06 am »

Is it exploity? Both yes and no. Yes because the AI is a moron but no because there are plenty of morons that have been in charge of the military.

Go for it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 20, 2015, 10:49:48 am »

Turn sent

Ayup. Ibn Don is rich. He's filthy, filthy rich. But even his mighty financial empire struggles to carry the burden of the freshly acquired League ships. If not for the recently-converted bishops, he'd have to file for bankruptcy this very instant!

A question: is it possible to capture a city on Byzantium with covert units despite the ban on combat?

Vertab Nukks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 20, 2015, 11:21:53 am »

Turn sent

Ayup. Ibn Don is rich. He's filthy, filthy rich. But even his mighty financial empire struggles to carry the burden of the freshly acquired League ships. If not for the recently-converted bishops, he'd have to file for bankruptcy this very instant!

A question: is it possible to capture a city on Byzantium with covert units despite the ban on combat?

Yes covert combat is allowed their is no official rule against it the game just forbids open combat until an Emperor is declared.

I assume you are wanting to take the Authority Guild Starport south of your Embassy on B2?  A good grab in your war with the League if you can get it or are you just planning to kill your fellow ambassadors before the election. Haha

Also, good luck with your new huge financial burden. Haha Church ships are a whole lot cheaper to maintain.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:30:17 am by Vertab Nukks »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 20, 2015, 01:44:07 pm »

Are there any extra guaranteed sceptors in this mod as compared to the vanilla/Nova?

Vertab Nukks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 20, 2015, 02:39:33 pm »

Are there any extra guaranteed sceptors in this mod as compared to the vanilla/Nova?

No since this mod is based on Fading Suns Lore they are all set with each House owning 5 and the Church and League with Five each. 
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 57