Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An underground circus/arena?  (Read 1525 times)

Alexander Seil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An underground circus/arena?
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

Here, by circus I mean this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circus_%28building%29

Anyway, after building a 2-level entry hall in my recent fort, I've proceeded to continue excavations as follows - at the end of two parallel 2-tiles tunnels from the main entry hall, I've dug a perpendicular tunnel. Then I hollowed out and *channeled* every adjacent square, dug down and repeated that a few times. Basically, the whole thing, if look at from the side, looks like a set of stairs-
|___x_
|__xx
|_xx
|xx

Here, the _ *on the right* represents the floor on the same z-level as the hallway, while x's are just empty space. So, basically, it's just a gigantic set of stairs cut into the mountain.

Well, the unfortunate issue is that I'm not finding anything. The question is, should I now just convert this whole thing into a gigantic underground circus? Or maybe an amphitheater? I only have 7 dwarves, so it somewhat limits my choices, but I've sure got a lot of mountain and not a whole lot of other things to mine (there's some galena, and that's it). Of course, it is a project of some complexity because I also need to mine out the pyramidal ceiling that would be hanging over the whole thing.

Anyway, feel free to comment on that idea and provide me with some fresh ones     :p Perhaps I can make this into some kind of a temple to Armok that's actually a massive pit with rotting corpses of kobold thieves at the bottom or something, and a light shaft going all the way to the plateau at the top of the mountain (some 15 z-levels at least!).

But I only have 3 dwarves available for digging all this     :p

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Alexander Seil ]

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An underground circus/arena?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 10:23:00 am »

My arena, where I usually set up fights between captured nasties looks kinda similar, though i use a flat ceiling and only 2 z-levels of stairs.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Alexander Seil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

I just want something very epic looking, including massive multi-z-level smoothed columns. I'll see what I can do, I'm deciding between the following two possibilities -

1) The aforementioned arena
2) A long multi-z-level hall with columns and possibly light shafts

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

I just chuck all my potentially dangerous captured beasties into a large labrynth I created deep within my fortress. There is no escape; the prisoners are doomed to wander the narrow halls for eternity. Maybe less if they happen upon the tamed dragon I threw down there for fun. Or the packs of war dogs.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.