Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Couple of questions about raids  (Read 6085 times)

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Couple of questions about raids
« on: April 28, 2018, 10:56:15 pm »

One: How do I find the kobold civ in the Civilizations menu that I've had contact with? Can't find the cave of the buggers anywhere. No I didn't turn show caves on. I didn't think it would be necessary to change the advanced options just to raid someone.

Two: How much firepower do I have to bring to fight the Clown that runs the nearby Goblin civ? I had forgotten about them when I decided to see if my army of twenty super soldiers could take on literally thousands of goblins (they could indeed. But 3 of them died to the Clown because I forgot about that detail, and I seek revenge).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of questions about raids
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 02:27:47 am »

Caves are hidden, you can't raid them.
However, on the artifacts selection part of the map you'll notice that some of them appear at areas where there's no site. That's often a kobold cave (you can double check in Legends Viewer or similar util). Might also be a vault of course. You can send artifact recovery squads to raid these areas.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 11:21:10 pm »

However, on the artifacts selection part of the map you'll notice that some of them appear at areas where there's no site. That's often a kobold cave (you can double check in Legends Viewer or similar util). Might also be a vault of course. You can send artifact recovery squads to raid these areas.

I noticed that. I was concerned trying to raid a vault or other hidden location might crash the game though, and wanted to check before trying.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 01:42:48 am »

I noticed that. I was concerned trying to raid a vault or other hidden location might crash the game though, and wanted to check before trying.
No, people have raided vaults before. Will only crash as much as regular raiding does (not often, but best to save first).

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 04:11:05 pm »

Regarding 2: I have yet to read about someone killing a  clown in a raid, but I suspect he isn't *too* hard on his own... its the thousand of goblins that boost him (I assume). Do remember Ken Hensley's words: "there is no strength in numbers, have no such misconseptions". Weather or not your raid succeeds should also depend on the leaders Organiser, Leader and Tactician skills, as well as equipment.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 04:20:56 pm »

My raid went just fine. My *war dogs* were apparently able to take on hundreds of goblins (or trolls, even) usually without a scratch (a troll sometimes killed one) (Though each was only able to kill a dozen or so at a time. It still said they fought over a hundred each). But my steel clad axe lords each legendary in more or less every combat skill. All three that tried to fight the clown died. I'm not sure it was even injured.

Which seems rather absurd given the same super soldiers have been killing forgotten beasts so effortlessly it looked like a police brutality video. (And no, not ones made of salt and vomit). Though they are probably even *more* legendary by now, admittedly. I'm reluctant to send any of them after the clown again, with in mind I might just lose several.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 08:37:38 am »

Or mobilize the entire fortress and kill that honking clown. In the very least, identify all the children of your legendaries and form them into oath-sworn masters. Dig up some candy while you're at it.

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 10:32:13 am »

My raid went just fine. My *war dogs* were apparently able to take on hundreds of goblins (or trolls, even) usually without a scratch (a troll sometimes killed one) (Though each was only able to kill a dozen or so at a time. It still said they fought over a hundred each). But my steel clad axe lords each legendary in more or less every combat skill. All three that tried to fight the clown died. I'm not sure it was even injured.

Which seems rather absurd given the same super soldiers have been killing forgotten beasts so effortlessly it looked like a police brutality video. (And no, not ones made of salt and vomit). Though they are probably even *more* legendary by now, admittedly. I'm reluctant to send any of them after the clown again, with in mind I might just lose several.

I've had sort of the same problem, where the minions die easy even to the mildest opponents but the megabeasts kill even things that should've killed them. The former is apparently explained by the tactician skill skewing rolls enough, apparently when you have a really good tactical plan you can get dogs to slaughter armies, but they apparently don't do enough to fight giant monsters; probably because things get simulated as series of duels, and even legendaries can have a spot of trouble with something that big, at least in worldgen-style combat. Thus, I would recommend systematically emptying the pits around the fortress to piss the owner off and make sure they come after you in your home turf (and to reduce the number of candidates for coming over there, if there's less goblins there's probably a bigger chance the boss comes after you), where it can be ganged-on properly.
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 11:32:17 am »

Two: How much firepower do I have to bring to fight the Clown that runs the nearby Goblin civ? I had forgotten about them when I decided to see if my army of twenty super soldiers could take on literally thousands of goblins (they could indeed. But 3 of them died to the Clown because I forgot about that detail, and I seek revenge).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

9 Legendary weapon skilled dwarves in adamantine, led by a legendary leader, teacher, skilled tactician.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 12:12:10 pm »

I've had sort of the same problem, where the minions die easy even to the mildest opponents but the megabeasts kill even things that should've killed them. The former is apparently explained by the tactician skill skewing rolls enough, apparently when you have a really good tactical plan you can get dogs to slaughter armies, but they apparently don't do enough to fight giant monsters; probably because things get simulated as series of duels, and even legendaries can have a spot of trouble with something that big, at least in worldgen-style combat. Thus, I would recommend systematically emptying the pits around the fortress to piss the owner off and make sure they come after you in your home turf (and to reduce the number of candidates for coming over there, if there's less goblins there's probably a bigger chance the boss comes after you), where it can be ganged-on properly.
...Interesting! I didn't know the boss could SHOW UP in raids against me. Now I'll definitely try that.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 03:36:03 am »

But my steel clad axe lords each legendary in more or less every combat skill. All three that tried to fight the clown died. I'm not sure it was even injured.

The fight is certainly simulated to a degree, and you have no fine control over it, but based on my experience fighting "clowns" in adventure mode, Forgotten Beasts are like puppies compared to a  war dog of a clown. So yes, I would expect deaths. By the way, in adventure it is usually easy enough to separate the master from goblin/trolls underlings (he often has no bodyguards in his throne room, and not too many on the way), so the actual fight is more like a duel, than a field battle against a legion of goblins lead by a monstrous general. Still, I would think than a normal squad of experienced soldiers would win against a clown. Three may be too few.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 08:15:13 am »

Landslide fights aren't historically unrealistic. 
Superior tactics and a better drilled army could massacre the opponents during a rout. 

Currently, the behaviour of invaders and soldiers in fort mode isn't able to generate this kind of collapse and decimation of an army.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 09:14:42 pm »

But my steel clad axe lords each legendary in more or less every combat skill. All three that tried to fight the clown died. I'm not sure it was even injured.

The fight is certainly simulated to a degree, and you have no fine control over it, but based on my experience fighting "clowns" in adventure mode, Forgotten Beasts are like puppies compared to a  war dog of a clown. So yes, I would expect deaths. By the way, in adventure it is usually easy enough to separate the master from goblin/trolls underlings (he often has no bodyguards in his throne room, and not too many on the way), so the actual fight is more like a duel, than a field battle against a legion of goblins lead by a monstrous general. Still, I would think than a normal squad of experienced soldiers would win against a clown. Three may be too few.

I sent more than three. The problem is each of the soldiers I sent each took on "137 Trolls" or "150 goblins". The clown decided to take on 3 of my soldiers. Each in 1v1. And killed all three that he fought. I imagine it would be different if all twenty dudes I sent attacked him together. But...

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 08:55:03 pm »

Landslide fights aren't historically unrealistic. 
Superior tactics and a better drilled army could massacre the opponents during a rout. 

Currently, the behaviour of invaders and soldiers in fort mode isn't able to generate this kind of collapse and decimation of an army.

Well, you could at least emulate decimation with a little help from dfhack. Strip most of the prisoners, cheat one out of ten into being members of your fort, assign to squad, have them kill the rest.