Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: The Saga of Bastiongate (60 Years!)  (Read 65602 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: The Saga of Bastiongate (Atis's Story - The End of Bastiongate)
« Reply #195 on: May 31, 2016, 02:31:24 pm »

I'll try to answer all your questions.

1. Thanks for your attention/recognition!
1.5. That quantum bar stockpile was pretty close to the smelters, I don't know what you're talking about.
2. That temple wasn't even a temple, it was just the base of one.
3. I don't remember the blood-polluted lake. I did have a blood-polluted FB trap in the first cavern, though.
4. I lost an herbalist one time because he wanted shells. He had a lover, parents, and many friends. Never again.
5. At one point I had 5 legendary +5 trainers. Then two died of old age. At the finish I had three, plus one in training. My mayor, an animal trainer, has legendary social skills from talking to his critters.
6. I don't remember the metalcrafter. Can you be more specific?
7. Now see, dying of old age isn't always bad. Yes, it's sad, but new leaves can't sprout if old leaves never fall away. The dead dwarves make room for new births. I couldn't have had a second generation if the zeroth never died.
8. Artifacts named after their creators is rare, but not unknown. Doomforests has an artifact named 'Technoxan2' somethingorother.
9. I modded crundles to catch vermin when I did that.

A. I didn't know that was how hatches worked at the time, also you can't dodge through fortifications.
B. Dead bodies don't make vengeful thoughts, only horrified thoughts if it's a sentient creature. If I had been less attached to my dwarves I would have just culled the most stress-vulnerable.
C. I've already got one. Artifact mechanism, artifact bone chain, everything else platinum. It's in the hospital. As for dwarven rooms, they aren't royal, but they're better than what most dwarves get. Door, cabinet, and smooth walls for every dwarf.
D. I assume you're talking about when I released the water into hell? I'll do that next time.
E. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also, I only have organic webbers. Three-eyed brutes, big beetles with webs. One got in through the trap, remember?
F. The merchants are literally off the map. They're one tile away. That wouldn't work, unfortunately.
G. They weren't a giant version of something else in the game, I guess. I'd add them back if I was going to play fort mode any time soon.
H. I think you're talking about the Avatar of Fire that became a lord. They're actually humans that are as big/skilled as demons.
I. They're kinda cheating. I like dwarven levers myself.
J. It's not even that hard. I had the whole map cage trapped in four years, and that's without any wood. In the Tower Succession fortress, I managed to cage-trap a whole 3x3 embark in 6 months. As for the caverns, I mostly keep them closed. The cage traps in the northeast cover the section of map edge where all my sieges come from. That way I get as many prisoners as possible.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2016, 10:30:46 am »

1.5 For me, anything farther than "there's not workshop touching it" is "far away" :p
3. Vadia, the noseless civet with deadly blood, bleed into lake in the battle with eight-legged webbing beaver Uralp
4. I'm thinking of starting the forts where animals shall  be trained with trainer +5 instead of something like mason+5. I swear, cave dragon reverting every season....
6. The metalcrafter who got trapped for weeks by webs near the hell trap by the brute attention.

Sure, got away with no injuries, just thristy, but br.....

A. I'd be surprised, but at the very least you can dodge through walls next to the single fortification - plus I recall mentions of goblins dodging into marksdwarf gallery that had only z-separation+fortifications separating it from gobbos.

C. Heh. I guess that's far easier with overlapping bedrooms. Debating doing partial overlaps with internal/external door toggling or something for each bedroom, but not sure of the benefit of even cabinets *shrug*

It'd let vampiries feast in palaces in peace, I guess?

D. Yup, when you released the water into hell.

E. Non-inorganic = organic XD I guess I was confusing.

I was thinking if perhaps FB syndromes affected an One-Eyed Brute, it could get stunned.

F. Aw. I guess firing ballista at them would get deleted instead of hitting them as well >_>

H. Yes, but the question still applies for caged human mayor :v

I. Fair enough - I like all the stories "pull the lever" has attached to it myself, even if "dedicated lever puller" goes against the spirit of "I want to have my fort's defences randomly fail" (I believe horrifyingly inaccurate, but should at least give an idea how I don't understand the distinction between "fair chance" with those and then sitting an idle dude down right on top of lever (should have something like 12 step wait to react?)).

J: Ah. In my experience, caravans randomly pick place they come from as long as they can reach, assumed sieges were same.

And okay, that's a lot faster than I thought, but one factor about it is, for instance, how it's easier, faster and trapping more to build a wall with chokepoints - thus giving this thing a certain "for the sake of itself" air.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2016, 06:20:46 pm »

And now, another story I wrote in writing class about Bastiongate but never posted.

The Founders Remember

Seven dwarves sat around a table in a huge, lavish hall. These dwarves were old even by dwarven standards – their beards were long enough to trip on. They were fat and decked in finery, though the appearance was somewhat marred by dirt and stone dust.

The table was silent until one dwarf, a carpenter by his axe and saw, spoke up.

“Do you remember why I led this expedition out into the hostile, forsaken desert?”

“Sure we do, Momuz,” said Limul, the miner. “It was to get away from the nobles!”

“And then you were the expedition leader, even though you hated nobles,” said Libash, the craftsdwarf.

“And then we founded a successful outpost, and more people showed up,” said Dumat, the other miner.

“And then the nobles showed up here!” said Atir, the farmer.

“Well, I don’t blame them, we’re sitting on so much silver we use it for crossbow bolts,” said Vucar, the stoneworker. She tapped the solid silver table with her knuckles.

“Yeah, but we’re in the ass end of nowhere! They had to cross half the Red Desert to get here, through goblin lands!” said Thikut, the butcher.

“Well, WE made the journey just fine,” said Limul.

“And don’t forget about all the weird stuff that happens here,” said Atir.

“Artifacts and babies and beasts and legends,” said Libash.

“What if we didn’t choose Bastiongate? What if Bastiongate chose us?” said Vucar.

“That’s crazy, how can a place choose?” said Dumat.

“Well, you must admit, nobody seems to be in charge here. Some miners will just decide to dig some new bedrooms and the stoneworkers will smooth the walls and floors and I’ll make the beds and everyone will stick the beds in the rooms and hang the doors and move in but nobody ordered any bedrooms built,” said Momuz.

“Now that I think of it, what made me choose this spot over the others? I picked this place because it was flat and dry and out of the way, but I could have chosen dozens of other spots.”

“Shoulda picked one with iron,” said Dumat. “Maybe we wouldn’t have to import it then.”

“Well I didn’t see you offering any bright ideas, smartass,” snapped Momuz.

“Would you two knock it off already? It’s been fifty years!” said Atir.

“Anyway, what about being drawn here? Why did everything start happening after we embarked?” said Vucar.

“Hey, what if everything is being drawn here? It certainly seems to be true. Remember how Mebzuth was only going to stay a couple weeks, but we’re drinking his beer right now?” said Limul.

“Think about it. Only Bastiongate dwarves have kids. The goblins always attack here and rarely retreat, even if they all get slaughtered. Nearly every legendary beast has attacked the fort and either gotten killed or ended it up in the zoo. Some of them even swam across the ocean to attack us. What if we’re even sucking the very life out of the world?”

“I think if something as big as all that was happening it wouldn’t have taken us fifty years to figure it out,” scoffed Dumat.

“Well, this has certainly given me something to think about,” said Libash, standing up creakily. “I’ll consider things while I carve some more pots. Mebzuth wanted some more, he ran out.”

“I’d better get back to work too,” said Limul. “Come on Dumat, you lazy old trog.”

“Shut up Limul, you’re older than I am,” said Dumat with a smile.

“Alright, well, it’s been nice talking with everyone again,” said Atir. “We never take our breaks at the same time as much. But I need to make sure these new planters aren’t mucking everything up.”

“Isn’t your job to muck everything up?” cracked Thikut.

“That was weak, try harder next time.”

“No you.”

The dwarves dispersed, thinking on what had been said. Maybe there was a bit of truth to Limul’s theory. Maybe whatever had attracted them all here was watching them now, guiding them.

Best not to think about it too hard.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:22:20 pm by TheFlame52 »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2016, 07:01:32 pm »

I must admit that is a touch creepy when given from the PoV of dwarves.

I've always felt a bit weird about the "dorfings" I see in communal forts - sometimes, it might be interesting to run a fort like you think a certain dwarf would run, but dwarves will work even without a manager or leader, and those only have 20 tiles vision too.

...Ah, but how much more freedom do they have compared to your adventure mode PC. Still, occasionally you see the controlled character break the fourth wall. Are those separatists?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2018, 04:10:55 pm »

Bastiongate lives!

You see, the main reason that I stopped playing was because there were so many creatures stuck on the edge of the map. Well, when I ported it to the latest version to test the raid mechanics, shit went down. Everything stuck arrived. That means I had three sieges and two caravans all arriving at once. Hundreds of wild animals arrive as well, many immediately dropping dead of old age. I am now determined to make it through this without losing a single dwarf.

In the current timeline, I closed the gates as soon as I loaded the fort. The humans and goblins and lion tamarin men and fire imps and dwarves all fought each other. The second cavern was opened so that the two visitors could leave peacefully.

Melbil inherits the title of Baron of Workbend. I have a baron of another fort, but my own baron doesn't live here. Whatever, he can have Baron Bastiongate's old room.

Still 219 dwarves? Okay.

All that was left were a few goblins wandered closer to the fortress and some humans chilling by their entrance. The gate was briefly opened, the Blue Furnaces sent out, and then the gate was closed again. The Blue Furnaces cleaned up pretty much everyone, then was sent to kill a few now-hostile visitors.

Still 219 dwarves? Yes. Any invaders or visitors? No. Good.

While we're at it, might as well try to catch some of these demons that showed up. It's like a second clown car out there. The demon trap is opened.

The gates are opened, bodies and clothes marked for dumping, and metal for melting. The caravan goods are also reclaimed. We've captured about a hundred prisoners, including a lord and a lady consort. Without legends I don't know if they're married.

Now we get down to business. What should I do now?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2018, 05:28:31 pm »

Update on what the fort looks like now, more detailed breakdown of the Dorfs?

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2018, 05:30:51 pm »

Sweet! Are you playing 44.06 with it?

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2018, 06:27:33 pm »

Welcome back!  It'll be great to see how the great dwarven soldier export mechanics work.

I mean, those merchants love all your other exports, I'm sure this'll go swimmingly.

~Yami.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2018, 06:55:58 pm »

Update on what the fort looks like now, more detailed breakdown of the Dorfs?
I'm not sure how I get the map onto DFMA. I've done it before, though. How do I do that?

I'll do a "Notable Figures" post tomorrow. It's getting late.

Sweet! Are you playing 44.06 with it?
Yes. It's good to know that my comeback is appreciated!

Welcome back!  It'll be great to see how the great dwarven soldier export mechanics work.

I mean, those merchants love all your other exports, I'm sure this'll go swimmingly.

~Yami.
In one of those lost timelines, I sent out the Blue Furnaces to raze the goblin capital. Atis, Stinthad, and Doren all got stuck off the map. I'm not risking it again, even though I really want to.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2018, 02:49:13 pm »

I was going to do the significant figures post, but I got distracted. I'm trying to deal with a loyalty cascade and a human siege at the same time.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 06, 2018, 05:56:03 pm »

Alright FUCK this. I lost 30 dwarves from the equivalent of one of my legendary military dwarves going berserk in the main hall. I'm restoring from the backup, but this time, I'm sealing the fort off and not opening it up for ANYTHING. EVER.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2018, 01:56:31 pm »

Some updates:
 - I sealed the gates and let my visitors leave via the caverns. The sieges killed each other and then buggered off.
 - I opened the gates for the visitors that had arrived in the meantime. One of them was Edzul Uzolfash, a dwarf that I lost during the whole retire/unretire shebang. I'm keeping him around even if I have to lock him in until he joins.
 - None of my zones are open to visitors any more. Hopefully that will keep some of the visitors away.
 - I set up a bunch of standing orders for stuff I use all the time.
 - My dwarves are melting the weapons and armor from the sieges. The garbage I just autodump-destroyed.
 - I caught a whole bunch of demons that had been stuck off map. I threw them in the demon impaler. The eight one-eyed brutes gave me over two thousand meat.
 - I'm training a new weaver. Only having a single weaver is bad.
 - I caught a ton of prisoners from the sieges. However, I couldn't just toss them in the arena with my army, because that would cause a loyalty cascade. Instead I threw about 50 prisoners in with two tortoise brutes, then had my army kill the tortoise brutes. I now have a bunch of tortoise brute meat and two shells, so I won't ever have to worry about shell moods ever again.
 - I caught a bunch of elk birds and naked mole dogs in my cavern traps, so I can finally get those two species up to expert training.
 - I war-trained my giant jaguars. In the process I achieved expert giant jaguar training. I will keep them around anyway as my valuable product animals.

Despite all that progress, I'm basically out of ideas. I need another project. I'm thinking either pre-honeymoon suites, modding blind cave ogres to be trainable, or attempting to breed giants. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Additional updates:
 - It is now 308. Two dwarves were lost to old age. Zas Tobulgisek, legendary brewer and Onul Rithkilrud, legendary engraver. They both died happy, having accomplished their dreams. Soon the children will replace them. Life goes on.
 - Expert naked mole dog training has been achieved. All naked mole dogs have been marked for slaughter.
 - A one-eyed brute showed up out of nowhere, caged. This was while the demon trap was being emptied, so I panicked a bit. I made sure the bridge was closed, I checked combat logs, nothing. Then I checked announcements. One-eyed brute has given birth to a girl. Sure enough, there were two one-eyed brutes in a single cage. I forgot that could happen.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:40:35 pm by TheFlame52 »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Saga of Bastiongate (Alive once more!)
« Reply #207 on: April 11, 2018, 12:19:50 pm »

Build a tower to the max z-level made out of Aluminium, Platinum, and Electrum, or maybe wipe out the Elves?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 11, 2018, 02:17:50 pm »

I do have silver and platinum in large quantities, but there aren't any elves in this world. I didn't mod them out, the world just generated like that.

EDIT: Tobul and Mestthos, masons, have had their first child. Little Medtob is a second-generation dwarf, his parents being born in the first years of the fort.

EDIT2: Holy fuck.

That's enough to feed the fortress for 6 months. Each serving is worth almost 5000☼.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:43:16 pm by TheFlame52 »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 11, 2018, 09:36:26 pm »

:o :o
One can only wonder just how big a modifier it gives to those who eat it.
Are there any goblins left?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15