Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: The Saga of Bastiongate (60 Years!)  (Read 62884 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: The Saga of Bastiongate (Alive once more!)
« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2018, 04:43:38 pm »

Another baby was born. The dwarven caravan came. I sold about 2.6 million ☼ worth of discarded clothes, prepared meals, and drinks. The meals were most of it. That accounts for less than half the meals in the fort. After the trade, I calculate that we have enough food stockpiled right now to feed the entire fortress for ten years without any production.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2018, 12:47:23 pm »

That is a ridiculous amount of trade, sir.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Saga of Bastiongate (Atis's Story - The End of Bastiongate)
« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2018, 05:20:46 am »

I caught a ton of prisoners from the sieges. However, I couldn't just toss them in the arena with my army, because that would cause a loyalty cascade.

Could you explain why killing your enemies would cause a loyalty cascade? I want to train a squad of gladiators for my amusement, but don't want to lose my fort this way.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 14, 2018, 02:02:28 pm »

1. Militia attacks enemies
2. Visitors attack civilians
3. Civilians kill visitors
4. Civilians who kill visitors are labeled enemies
5. Initiate loyalty cascade
However, I've never had this happen in any other fort. Bastiongate is from way back in 0.40, so there are lots of bugs you won't normally see.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 17, 2018, 05:15:19 pm »

Yeah, I saw that too some versions back, would be interesting to see if that whole visitor bloodbath still happens. I mean, it makes sense i guess, but its just a mess...
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2018, 11:02:18 am »

I have dug some new chambers coming out of my animal training room. They will be my SCIENCE rooms. I already have one experiment running - roc training. See, when I let my rocs off their chains, even the ones born in the fort, my dwarves try to kill them. Because of how I bred them without their parents killing my dwarves, they aren't tame. I'm going to try to get tame rocs. The experiment will go much like this:

1. Fill room with cage traps and a nest box
2. Place cage containing a pair of rocs in the room
3. Hook cage to lever
4. Seal room
5. Wait for rocs to detrain to well-trained
6. Release rocs
7. Let female lay eggs
8. Wait for rocs to detrain to wild and be captured
9. Wait for eggs to hatch
10. Train roc hatchlings
11. Profit?

I'm currently on step 5, so this will take a while. Detraining is slow. Hopefully all will go as planned.

Animal training news, there's quite a bit:
 - My dwarves are now expert giant cave swallow trainers. As giant sparrows are bigger and can be war trained, the giant cave swallows have been slaughtered.
 - My single jaguar died of old age. I'm going to have to raid other sites to get more so I can achieve expert jaguar trainer.
 - War training all my giant jaguars got me expert giant jaguar trainer. I'll keep them around as war animals and for valuable meat and bones. They've come in handy a few times.
 - I captured a few giant insects early in the year, so I have been training them while they live. They will all die on the new year.

Other news:
 - The training squads have been rotated. The remaining untrained dwarves fit perfectly into the squads. All this training is paying off - my dwarves are stronger, faster, and several foolish hungry heads have had dwarven fists go through their skulls.
 - I ran the demon traps a few times. Why did I run the demon traps? I have so much food it's silly and that's the only thing I get out of the traps. I'm going to stop running the traps for a while.
 - The main well has been moved to a new location just off the main stairwell. Previously it was kept isolated to protect from forgotten beasts, but those are extinct now. The hospital well is almost empty, so I've forbidden it and set it to be refilled.
 - I have passed 5000 dead units.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:04:09 am by TheFlame52 »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2018, 11:25:29 am »

Bastiongate is now 60 61 years old. Four dwarves and my human mercenary have been lost to age.

The roc experiment is going well. I have two roc hatchlings and I expect a third clutch before the mother goes wild and is caught in the cage traps. The father has already gone wild, but the mother is pregnant. That third clutch is what I'm looking for. I want baby rocs that have never seen their parents. If that still doesn't work, then I'll have to give up.

Other news:
 - A giant attacked the fort. It was immediately caught. it is now in the zoo.
 - I am caging most of my giant war jaguars. They are getting in the way.
 - It turns out I have over 2000 smoke weed cloth. I'm setting those fields to be fallow until I use up most of that.
 - The humans invaded twice and were killed off.
 - The fire imps invaded. It looks like every civilization but our own is now at war with us.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Saga of Bastiongate (60 Years!)
« Reply #217 on: April 30, 2018, 04:02:53 pm »

Ok, I am at a loss trying to understand your roc-taming problem. Can't you just train the children until they are domestic? according to the wiki, that should be possible.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 30, 2018, 04:23:16 pm »

My dwarves try to kill my rocs because they think they are enemies. The trouble is getting to them before they grow up without having any adults running around.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2018, 10:52:34 am »

Here's the set up with the Hydras I was talking about:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are pasture and animal training zones overlapping the chains so the Hydras are both chained and pastured. The doors are all pet-locked just in case.
All of my dwarves rotate in and out of military service, but it's only active military dwarves that attack mega beasts on site, so if you can keep them from activating for military service inside your mega beast enclosure that should do the trick.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2018, 12:41:12 pm »

Ah, so you haven't solved the loyalty problem so much as avoided it entirely. I was hoping I could have stray rocs roaming the fortress. Oh well. I'm still going to complete my experiments just in case.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]