Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Difficult Start Locations  (Read 4175 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Difficult Start Locations
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

I haven't had any problems with unicorns in the 3d version.  While I was building a massive five-part tower with courtyards and skybridges to ensure everyone gets uncovered sunlight, I kept walling them into the castle by mistake, and sending dabbling axedwarves after them always resulted in a dead unicorn and an unharmed axedwarf.  Took down at least six of them, think I suffered more damage from the groundhogs.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »

Mrm... terrifying locales are pretty fearsome. But I'll agree, oceans are usually the worst and hardest places to play. Glaciers included. At least glaciers don't have skeletal fish.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »

The deadliest start location I've ever found was a haunted major river with a haunter minor river and a stream flowing into it--there were about fifteen pages of living and undead fish and hippos. My starting dwarves lasted for about thirty seconds.

The deadliest location I've ever actually gotten started in was a haunted tropical forest--lots of undead trees, but little else. Then the caravan arrived, attracted undead elephants, and died. I locked myself in and made it for several more years, but I couldn't accomplish anything at all with the elephants everywhere, so eventually I abandoned.

The coolest deadly location I ever found was a haunted desert, complete with magma and makings for steel. I passed that one over for an enticing patch of taiga (and then reformatted my hard drive :() but couldn't help thinking how staggeringly cool it would have been.

Actually, I'm gonna go look for one of those now.

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

You know, I see people mentioning Unicorns as a "Horned Menace" alot, (and on the Wiki) I'm playing 38c, and the Unicorns aren't taking out my dwarfs (Though I might be on my fourth year...)  Granted I think the whole Unicorn herd is currently inside my cages.  But that is an ocean fortress on a pocket world map.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

Unicorns and elephants have a "don't ask don't kill" policy towards dwarves; they generally just stay away.  However, when cornered, elephants will put a hoof where the sun don't shine (they aren't very accurate, so they use their body to keep the sun from shining anywhere).  Unicorns will first kick you across the room, then impale you.

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

I don't understand, why so many people fear the E's.
Apart from Boatsmurdered, sure, but I never had problems with them.

The most dangerous areas for me and especially my dwarves are magmapipes.
These imps seem to have a personal grudge with me.
Best combo ever one of those fiery little goo spitters made was beating a woodcutter such hard after setting him on fire, that he flew away and knocked one of my fellow militarydwarfes unconciousness and made him burn too.
You can possibly think of the rest of the story   :D
You have found a !!Cave Spider Silk Sock!! Praise the haulers!

Oh not to forget carp and sturgeons,. Fish are the thirdmost reason of abandonnement for me.

Funny story by the way:
When Tigerbunny was young and new to dwarf fortress, trying to start his first survivable fortress (the real first already came to grief) he made a little mistake. As said in a thread earlier I'm from germany and my english is not bad but really not perfect and some uncommon words like "sinister", "quern" or "tantrum" were new for me.
Because of lazyness lil Tigerbunny did not use a dictionary and decided to choose a terrifying location for his settlement after he had read in the wiki that the wise selection of the location is important for a possibly successive fort.
Why did he do this then? Because he mistook it with "terrific".
Thus I started jolly and wheezing to settle trying to get my dwarves to do what i want.
surprise surprise
The consequence of my mistake was naturally complete confusion while something annihilated my startingdwarves due to the lack of ability to understand the asciimassacre.
And before I was able to have a look at the wiki what all the red ~ stands for
the game told my that my settlement has ended.

By now I use a dictionary when im unsure  ;)

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

Oh, I have **Plenty** of reason to fear the E's.

But my current fort is on a haunted beach; haunted ocean on one side and haunted tropical conifer on the other.
Those E's are skeletal\zombified and definitely unfriendly.

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

Someone was looking for a haunted desert with magma? Voila...

The Enchanted Land, The Notched Continent, The Desert of Terror
Western equatorial point of Haunted desert, full south on map near centre.
Red Sand (aquifier) / Basalt / Gneiss / Diorite  
Scorching / Scarce Trees / Scarce Vegetation / Haunted

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:MEDIUM]
   [SEED:4080112054]
   [DIM:129:129]

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

The next thing on my list to do, for danger, is to start in a goblin fort...

I tried that just out of curiosity the other day, in the middle of the night just before bed, and I was delighted to see a demon in the list. And towers! Fun!

So just for the heck of it, I drafted all my dwarves, swarmed into a tower, took down the first few goblins easily enough...

Armed one with a bronze crossbow and iron bolts from one of the goblins I'd swarmed... Yay.

Climbed up another level, killed those ones without much of a fuss. One dwarf with a broken arm and a leg.

Went up to the next level and got totally slaughtered by a demon. And watched him pick off the cats one by one. Those things run!

And then I was wondering why my fortress didn't end catastrophically all of a sudden.... The dwarf with the broken bones was still lying on the floor one level down. Had to abandon... Although I'm not sure how that dwarf would get out of there alive. (It was either that or sit impatiently and wait for him to die of thirst)

So yeah, next time I wanna build next to a goblin fort, and storm it when I'm ready. Or make occasional raids.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

I wiped out an entire goblin town with three marksdwarves, three axedwaves, and a cook. The only hard part was killing the demon (I didn't), and avoiding the goblin marksmen (Approach from a blind corner, if this isn't possible, get your cook to kill them with a cave-in.)

So goblins can actually be pretty fun, but they're not nearly as challenging as a glacier or an aquifer.

[ March 24, 2008: Message edited by: Erom ]

Pages: 1 [2]