Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random stats option for dwarf fortress mode  (Read 1800 times)

Spitzkrug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random stats option for dwarf fortress mode
« on: July 16, 2015, 01:24:56 am »

What do you think about putting an option to activate random generated statistics for your crew when starting a new fortress? (If there isn't yet) I think it might be funny and allows more ways to develop a fortress, instead of selecting the more efficient stats every time. But i don't really know how much impact some stats would have practically.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Random stats option for dwarf fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 08:08:26 am »

If we could embark using random historical figures, it would be almost the same thing (which I think is planned.) You'd probably want to still have the option to modify their stats at embark in this case.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:10:53 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 09:59:25 am »

Their stats are already random, you can't influence them. Well, I guess there's nothing about a dwarf that's generally referred to as its stats, so I'm not really sure what you mean. Skills are the only things you can influence at embark.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 02:47:06 pm »

I think he means random skills. I could go for a random seven-dwarf migrant wave rather than spending two hours painstakingly fine-tuning my dwarves only to abandon for a lack of iron.

Spitzkrug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:42 pm »

Yes i mean the skills. Sorry if i hadn't been more clear.
The bore factor about selecting the proper skills is to take in count too, but there is the save option for profiles, so you can do the "perfect" crew once and have it forever (that's the point of this suggestion anyway, to give more flexibility)

I'm thinking that this kind of option would have more sense if the random stats would also generate numbers below the standard (below 5 points). Because otherwise, independently of their main stats, the dwarves could still be able to do normal things in a decent way (and the purpose of adopting yourself at the circumstances is non existent or will have a minimal impact), while having stats below the standard would mean having dwarves almost useless in certain skills while more useful in others and so my suggestion would have more sense.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:32:44 am by Spitzkrug »

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 08:45:49 pm »

1. Play now!
2. Plan your journey carefully
3. Plan your journey randomly

um...

Can't say I would ever use it, but I have no reason to be against having this as an option.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 09:40:51 pm »

Play now is pretty much a random mess already.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Spitzkrug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 12:37:44 am »

1. Play now!
2. Plan your journey carefully
3. Plan your journey randomly

um...

Can't say I would ever use it, but I have no reason to be against having this as an option.
mmh a main option like this might include also random item/foods generation.. i don't think that would be a good thing, but yeah that's kinda of my idea

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 03:00:16 am »

Randomized supplies would be more fun if nothing else. "Whoops, the RND forgot to pack some booze to this glacier embark, looks like we're going straight to the cavern on this one!" "Alright, whose bright idea was it to pack 35 pairs of panda-wool socks but no pickaxe?" "Oh boy, enough copper swords for a whole squad!"
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Spitzkrug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 03:02:41 am »

Yeah, but some games may end at the start xD

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 09:04:46 am »

Yeah I'd stick to the default item loadout. Just scramble the dwarves.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 12:25:26 pm »

Randomized supplies would be more fun if nothing else. "Whoops, the RND forgot to pack some booze to this glacier embark, looks like we're going straight to the cavern on this one!" "Alright, whose bright idea was it to pack 35 pairs of panda-wool socks but no pickaxe?" "Oh boy, enough copper swords for a whole squad!"
It would have to choose categorically, ensuring at least the essentials. You might very well get copper swords, though.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 02:18:59 pm »

Yeah I'd stick to the default item loadout. Just scramble the dwarves.
Seconded.

I guess this will come naturally in the form of starting scenarios and whenever the starting 7 start to be drawn from "real populations"
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!