Yes
- 40 (65.6%)
No
- 11 (18%)
I don't know
- 10 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Spells!!!  (Read 6614 times)

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spells!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 06:57:02 am »

I am going to say something sacrilegious, but in my opinion, mages should be nobles - there should be only one per fort (perhaps with an apprentice) and they should decide their projects randomly... occasionally stealing a corpse there or a bar of gold here...
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 09:44:57 am »

I am going to say something sacrilegious, but in my opinion, mages should be nobles - there should be only one per fort (perhaps with an apprentice) and they should decide their projects randomly... occasionally stealing a corpse there or a bar of gold here...
I would rather becoming a mage work sort of like strange moods.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2015, 11:56:40 am »

You can find slabs without them building towers. If you look in legends you'll see that the owner probably stored the slab somewhere, and that somewhere was probably a town you can go to and look through all the buildings to find the slab. If it's one of the small settlements it's pretty easy. Just go into all the houses/trees/holes/towers and look for a slab on the floor. If it's a big settlement, I recommend just not. I've been looking for a slab for an in game day and haven't even searched all the buildings outside the walls yet.

Really? Before I added minions for my spellcasters I looked in various hamlets and couldn't find neither slabs nor books, despite searching all houses.
I just did it a few days ago in the Dragonball mod. It doesn't add wizards or anything, but it adds special abilities you can learn from slabs made in world generation, which should function the same as wizards without towers. Did you make sure to check that the hamlet was where they supposedly stored the slab? Which version was it? I did this on the most recent version, and maybe something's changed. Also there's a double negative in your post that I don't even know how to interpret were it intentional.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2015, 01:52:48 pm »

You can find slabs without them building towers. If you look in legends you'll see that the owner probably stored the slab somewhere, and that somewhere was probably a town you can go to and look through all the buildings to find the slab. If it's one of the small settlements it's pretty easy. Just go into all the houses/trees/holes/towers and look for a slab on the floor. If it's a big settlement, I recommend just not. I've been looking for a slab for an in game day and haven't even searched all the buildings outside the walls yet.

Really? Before I added minions for my spellcasters I looked in various hamlets and couldn't find neither slabs nor books, despite searching all houses.
I just did it a few days ago in the Dragonball mod. It doesn't add wizards or anything, but it adds special abilities you can learn from slabs made in world generation, which should function the same as wizards without towers. Did you make sure to check that the hamlet was where they supposedly stored the slab? Which version was it? I did this on the most recent version, and maybe something's changed. Also there's a double negative in your post that I don't even know how to interpret were it intentional.

Yeah I did check and it just wasn't there. There was nothing in legends about it being stolen or lost or anything, either. IIRC it wasn't the most recent version so perhaps it got fixed.
Regarding the double negative, I didn't even realize I made a mistake when I was making that post. English isn't my native language.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 07:38:41 am »

I'm pretty partial to the direction magic seems to be going, based on necromancers: almost nobody has any interest in magic. Those that do isolate themselves to perfect their art, rarely venturing out into the world, but when they do travel, the consequences of their actions are immediately obvious. That way, magic is a coveted rarity for players, and luring a friendly mage to the fort could be a difficult ordeal--building a sufficiently impressive library, offering opulent and isolated quarters and laboratory facilities, having available plenty of the raw materials they'd want (corpses for necromancers, for instance). I seriously doubt we'll be seeing every Cog, Tun and Shorast slinging fireballs around.

HokyoHollowpoint

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 06:45:19 pm »

I could have sworn Toady said he wouldn't add magic because it wasn't very "dwarfy" or something like that...

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2015, 07:58:36 pm »

I could have sworn Toady said he wouldn't add magic because it wasn't very "dwarfy" or something like that...

Humans, then :V

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2015, 08:56:48 pm »

Magic is officially planned, the form it will take is unknown though. I'm going to assume for the sake of utilizing the system fully that secrets like necromancers, and all the night creatures will eventually come in many forms, rather than necromancers and vampires being repetition of the same type and werecreatures all using the same mechanics to arrive at different werebeasts.

Magic artifacts will happen. What they do we will have no idea until toady decides.
What we really don't know, and what we might not get, is a standardised magic system that let's thousands of looks cast little spells of fire or whatnot. That's not to say, however, that there absolutely wont be other "mundane" magics that don't go through secrets.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 06:03:55 pm »

Magic is officially planned, the form it will take is unknown though. I'm going to assume for the sake of utilizing the system fully that secrets like necromancers, and all the night creatures will eventually come in many forms, rather than necromancers and vampires being repetition of the same type and werecreatures all using the same mechanics to arrive at different werebeasts.

Magic artifacts will happen. What they do we will have no idea until toady decides.
What we really don't know, and what we might not get, is a standardised magic system that let's thousands of looks cast little spells of fire or whatnot. That's not to say, however, that there absolutely wont be other "mundane" magics that don't go through secrets.
Several of Threetoe's stories deal with magic and artifacts. Specifically there's the obvious Cado's Magical Journey, and Heroes of the Coast gives some good examples of artifact effects. To my understanding this is mostly what Toady wants these systems to be like, and I think we'll be getting a little bit of expansion on artifacts after the second tavern update.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 01:39:05 pm »

I am going to say something sacrilegious, but in my opinion, mages should be nobles

Then we could have nobles who burn 'themselves' to death.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2015, 09:01:44 pm »

If magic would be a thing, I feel as if it could get really FUN, really fast. Fire is already pretty deadly. Having an army of crazy, drunken, fire-wielding midgets might not be such a good idea... God forbid Urist McCriminal happens to punch Urist McWizardpants's cat and he burns the fortress to the ground.

However, I personally like the idea of the possibility of magic being randomized in world gen.

Particularly insane individuals who would stay in a solitary environment and study magic for many, many years.
Finally, after countless months, the individual has some sort of "Revelation" (or simply figures out a way to channel "mana") and creates a spell.

I guess, with the new library system coming out, he could write a book on how to use the spell.
Or, depending on his attributes, maybe he dislikes writing and prefers to have an apprentice.

Magic could spread from teacher to student for generations.

I kinda also like the idea of Deity's making magic at the beginning of world gen too.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2015, 04:01:21 am »

I am going to say something sacrilegious, but in my opinion, mages should be nobles

Then we could have nobles who burn 'themselves' to death.

Hmm, that wouldn't be much fun though. Not personal enough.

hyperman500

• Bay Watcher
  • I endorse all exploits!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 02:48:53 pm »

I would imagine the magic to be obtained similarly to necromancy, during world Gen some guy does something that impresses this god or the other and is granted a slab containing the secrets of fire or forges or something and they get access to magic of the type of the secret.

If the system isn't overly complicated and utterly convoluted it clearly isn't Dwarfy enough to make.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2015, 06:22:12 pm »

Can't wait till DF has mad scientists

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2015, 09:37:42 pm »

Can't wait till DF has mad scientists

………