Yes
- 40 (65.6%)
No
- 11 (18%)
I don't know
- 10 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Spells!!!  (Read 6655 times)

Remuluson

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:EDITING_TOO_MUCH:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Spells!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 12:54:11 am »

mostly i would like a healing spell so you could cure these pesky motor nerve injuries
[ETHICS:FEAR_SOCKMASTRERS:REQUIRED]
[ETHICS:HAVING_TOO_MUCH_ETHICS:REQUIRED]

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 12:53:06 pm »

Its actually pretty easy to mod more spells in.
 I do that anyway, have 4 totally different schools of magic at this point, very fun.
I could share my mod eventually, I do believe it is some where in my post history actually, specifically the school of water magic, of which i posted an entire story..
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Omniao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 07:04:27 pm »

It could have a element based system like "magicka" (the video game), you can cast infinite elements to create a spell, but each element takes one turn/frame/blip/etc to add to a spell for balance. Each element could have buffs or debuffs, for example, a lightning element could stun enemies, a healing element could heal enemies but hurt undead, etc. Each sphere/aspect a creature has could affect how a creature reacts to certain element in the spells.
Also, explosion/splash attack/area knockback spell effects.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 07:06:13 pm by Omniao »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 05:24:39 am »

To be fair, regarding balance there's a ton of stuff that's unbalanced to begin with (and IMO it's what makes this game really fun), so I don't think that'd be much of a concern when adding more types of magic.
It's not really like magic users are easy to get in either adventure mode in fort mode, so I think that by itself balances it out.
I personally have 3 schools of magic in my worlds including necromancy.
Kinda sucks how spellcasters need some kind of "animate" spell to actually make towers and make their books and slabs available to read. Hope that changes whenever new spellcasters are officially added.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 12:03:00 pm »

I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 07:15:44 pm »

@Remuluson- Necromancy is in game.

hatesdigimon

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp, I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 10:18:08 pm »

i like that this game will be going for an unknown armies-ish magic. the power to change the world... for a price. no silly magic meters. keep regular weapons more readily available and viable.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 07:08:43 am »

fantasy worlds dont neccesarily have magic.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 09:28:48 am »

That does not mean that all fantasy words need not have magic. The only issue I see with this, given the presence of necromancy, is probably just balance. Sadly, that's the biggest issue possible for a suggestion.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 10:34:21 am »

That does not mean that all fantasy words need not have magic. The only issue I see with this, given the presence of necromancy, is probably just balance. Sadly, that's the biggest issue possible for a suggestion.

The only ways I can see to balance something as incredibly powerful as magic is one or more of the following:

1) Make it so that magic isn't incredibly powerful, but that would kind of defeat the point.

2a) Make it so that magic is incredibly costly to the caster, costing blood to cast for example, too much casting would kill the caster (perhaps resulting in a unique state, spellhusk perhaps?).

2b) Make it so that magic is just costly, requiring certain items, plants, wands, stones, runes, ETC before you are able to cast, meaning that a powerful wizard would end up carrying around a lot of stuff.

3) Make it so that magic is not guaranteed to work, or not guaranteed to work right... Spell failure chances aren't too hard to do.

Personally I prefer having a chance that not only will a spell fail but can fail disastrously: spells affecting the wrong target or even harming the caster, summoning enemies instead of allies, undead monsters going out of control if you have too many... That sort of thing (obviously for fortress mode, a caster would have to be on player command only, so you don't have a wizard trying out their summoning skills and filling your fortress with armok knows what).

It is possible to balance magic, depending on how powerful it is.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 10:38:02 am »

That sort of thing (obviously for fortress mode, a caster would have to be on player command only, so you don't have a wizard trying out their summoning skills and filling your fortress with armok knows what).

So would all wizards on your fortress operate like an squad but with a more in-depth UI? Or will there be magic specialization?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2015, 10:39:27 am »

To be fair, regarding balance there's a ton of stuff that's unbalanced to begin with (and IMO it's what makes this game really fun), so I don't think that'd be much of a concern when adding more types of magic.
It's not really like magic users are easy to get in either adventure mode in fort mode, so I think that by itself balances it out.
I personally have 3 schools of magic in my worlds including necromancy.
Kinda sucks how spellcasters need some kind of "animate" spell to actually make towers and make their books and slabs available to read. Hope that changes whenever new spellcasters are officially added.
You can find slabs without them building towers. If you look in legends you'll see that the owner probably stored the slab somewhere, and that somewhere was probably a town you can go to and look through all the buildings to find the slab. If it's one of the small settlements it's pretty easy. Just go into all the houses/trees/holes/towers and look for a slab on the floor. If it's a big settlement, I recommend just not. I've been looking for a slab for an in game day and haven't even searched all the buildings outside the walls yet.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2015, 01:15:11 pm »

You can find slabs without them building towers. If you look in legends you'll see that the owner probably stored the slab somewhere, and that somewhere was probably a town you can go to and look through all the buildings to find the slab. If it's one of the small settlements it's pretty easy. Just go into all the houses/trees/holes/towers and look for a slab on the floor. If it's a big settlement, I recommend just not. I've been looking for a slab for an in game day and haven't even searched all the buildings outside the walls yet.

Really? Before I added minions for my spellcasters I looked in various hamlets and couldn't find neither slabs nor books, despite searching all houses.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2015, 05:33:59 pm »

That sort of thing (obviously for fortress mode, a caster would have to be on player command only, so you don't have a wizard trying out their summoning skills and filling your fortress with armok knows what).

So would all wizards on your fortress operate like an squad but with a more in-depth UI? Or will there be magic specialization?

I'd imagine they'd function like a squad (that way they could perform their magic in any location, plus it'd tie into the army arc later down the line), I'd also make it so that wizards are meant to be VERY rare as I find if you have D&D's magic absolutely everywhere, I feel it kind of ruins it, plus with the sheer scarcity of wizards any form of specialization would leave them VERY limited unless magic was insanely powerful (which in turn would screw up adventure mode).
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 12:22:53 am »

Really? Before I added minions for my spellcasters I looked in various hamlets and couldn't find neither slabs nor books, despite searching all houses.

They'd be making bandit camps and pretending to be bandits, more likely.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4