Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grown Furniture (For real!)  (Read 1244 times)

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
Grown Furniture (For real!)
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:58:00 pm »

It appears that this guy actually grows furniture from trees.  His ears also look a bit pointy, to me at least  :P.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Grown Furniture (For real!)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 11:18:28 pm »

People have linked things like this before. 

Thing is, this isn't what elven grown objects are like, as grown objects like this would require killing the whole tree, which would be directly against elven "ethics". 

Presumably, elven grown goods are growths out of the side of trees, or out of mere branches that are shaped and dropped like a fruit.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 01:40:08 pm »

Could be that the trees have a short natural life span, so when they die they're ready to be used as furniture.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 01:48:28 pm »

Could be that the trees have a short natural life span, so when they die they're ready to be used as furniture.

What trees in real life have short lifespans? 

In any event, considering as elves are pulling back from even farming surface crops, it seems like they don't enjoy the idea of any sort of plant-destruction, anyway, so cultivating trees just to let them die is counter-intuitive. 

Instead, the Threetoe stories say that elves are capable of shaping trees by simply talking to them with elven magic.  Presumably, they just plain say "make a chair with that branch", and it happens. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

skaihoj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 05:34:24 pm »

They are not killing the entire tree, when they harvest. They are coppicing the trees:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppicing

This leaves a stump that will grow back and can be re-used. The root network also stays. The only thing that they take is the wood they need.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 06:55:33 pm »

They could be doing what they guy does, "molding" the branch into furniture.

Although, it would actually imply elves have some sort of craftsmanship.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 06:18:37 am »

The complaints about the pricing seem a bit odd to me. Maybe it's different in the UK but those seem reasonable for the sort of furniture you intend to keep for your family home, in my experience. And while they do look a bit spindly as they are now, compared to the sort of thing that would usually command that sort of price-point, presumably that's just because they're not done growing in those pictures.