Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crystal Knows about you  (Read 1663 times)

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crystal Knows about you
« on: June 18, 2015, 06:30:20 pm »

Crystal Knows is a stalking web/mail app that suppose to help you out with your online communication skills, how it does that is that it digs up information on requested people throughout the web, mainly through social media information they post, categorize them into personality types and attempts to give you the best method for approaching them, going as far as suggesting fixes to your emails as you write them. another layer is that you can answer personality questions on other people and it will aggregate this information with the information it has dug up through the web.

I had to take it up for a spin to see what it knows about me, and it surprised me to discover its relatively accurate (They did only promise 47% accuracy for my personal profile). it kinda freaked me out so i started questioning it seriously trying to come up with how it knows what it knows:

It doesn't know shit about me. Psychologically, i convinced myself that the results are relatively accurate simply because they had some superficial traits that with bit of self convincing i could relate to myself, not unlike horoscope readings.

However, it did reveal its searching methods because some of the superficial stuff source is rather obvious. for start: according to Crystal Knows, when approaching me, i prefer long conversations to get deep into the subject. i prefer to form personal relationship before getting into business. i am analytical and don't shoot answers right away, so you should be patient with me. i suppose to love spreadsheets (Which is a weird personality trait). i prefer innovation and trying new and exciting things over safety and security.

That spreadsheet trait gave away the source as it is such a bizarre observation, it couldn't come from any social media: I tend to mail myself all the Excell spreadsheets from my office to my personal email so i could work on them at home. it knows i open them and it knows i send them back to my office mail. it knows i also use Google Sheets, since i have it installed. So for this stupid app, I like spreadsheets and sending spreadsheets is a measured success for getting a reply from me.

The innovation part is probably because half of my bookmarks are for Technology, Futurology, Design and Science blogs/sites. it probably also read my browsing history and see that i visit Kickstarter and such.

The long conversation is probably because it detected i don't reply short e-mails (Which are mostly short email reminders from me or others) but do to long ones (Which are usually the relevant ones).

The thing that bother me most about this creepy app is that i never gave it permission to search my mails. in fact, it didn't know i was searching my self and when searching other people who never used that app, it still gave results based on evident mail searches. when it searches my Social presence its ok, i guess, since its information that i knew is going out to the public sphere when i posted it, but my mails are private and while i have a written bond between me and google that i provide them with my information and they provide me with a mail service and lots of ads, i never formed such a bond with Crystal Knows and i sure as hell never expected it to get public.

Go a head and see what and if Crystal actually knows about you.

https://www.crystalknows.com/
(Signing up doesn't give them permission to anything as they already took that without your consent. just don't sign in with your linkedin account or install their extensions)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:32:44 pm by Vilanat »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Crystal Knows about you
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 07:03:13 pm »

Does she know what I did last summer!?

Oh oh oh! Does she know where to find Jimmy Hoffa's body!?

Wait-- maybe not a troll bot.. Hmm..  Still looks like advert spam though.
But seriously, this is exactly the kind of thing that social media enables, and why I avoid it like plague.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 07:05:30 pm by wierd »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 08:03:47 pm »

Does anyone have the relevant SMBC about human interaction being replaced by computers talking to each other?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 10:40:27 pm »

I just criticized the damn thing. although, yeah, that thing will eventually lead to bots that thinks "Bay12. APPROACH WITH MASOCHISM"
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:57:33 am by Vilanat »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 01:14:15 am »

Lel, everyone without social lives is invisible
Everyone who doesn't post their life story on buuke is invisible
Everyone who doesn't even bother having accounts on buuke is invisible

This is the end of email miscommunication.

Crystal for Gmail makes corrections to your email as you type, translating your communication style to the recipient's.
Fuck this don't sap humanity out of errors just because it makes workers more efficient drones

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 06:32:58 am »

This is creepy as shit.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 06:59:42 am »

I am still baffled by the bot accusations. In fact, by re-reading what i wrote, i think that only a bot the likes of Crystal Knows could deduct that this is an advert by a bot. you know, look at the paragraph structures, the link in the end and ignore anything that was actually said in the text body itself.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 07:05:50 am »

I think it was more based on how it was a long post by somebody basically nobody recognized about a product that costs money.

No offense or anything.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 07:08:31 am »

Relatively unknown people suddenly making a post about a product are often subject to bot accusations, so if it's any consolation you're not alone in that.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 10:50:04 am »

Lel, everyone without social lives is invisible
Everyone who doesn't post their life story on buuke is invisible
Everyone who doesn't even bother having accounts on buuke is invisible
What the fuck is buuke.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 11:00:18 am »

A Japanese sex thing. I think.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 11:56:13 am »

facebukkake

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 12:00:01 pm »

Yes. Bukake deals with faces. And other things.

But I still liken Facebook more to Hentai with tentacles though.  They are ALWAYS trying to get their tentacles in you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 12:04:36 pm »

The sign-up process is annoying. Still, I'm interested to try this.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 12:06:49 pm »

I am not apt to try it.

The part of me that I used to predict the actions of unscrupulous assholes (like Zuckerberg), tells me that the demo actively collects data, used to make the product "Better."

Since I find the very concept of this product to be offensive, I am abstaining.