Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Killing zone design  (Read 1327 times)

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Killing zone design
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »

I want to funnel incoming goblin invasions through a specialized killing zone designed to kill off an entire wave or at least significantly soften it up for the infantry.
I prepared an extra-wide entry ramp, which leads to a 3-wide main access road, blockable by a drawbridge, and has two straiways leading down to the killing area, accessible from the sides of the ramp and serving as the only way to go but up when the bridge is raised.
The initial design for the killing zone was a 3-wide path with siege engines and ammo stockpiles behind fortifications. There are quite a few reasons why this design is bad, so now I'll probably have to hollow hollow out the entire area and rebuild with the suitable design.
The area is intended to lead the goblins across a long path, ending in a hall connected to the soldiers' barracks where any remaining invaders would face the infantry. I want to have siege engines and archers, but no traps save for a handful of cage traps to capture live goblins for entertainment.

Do you have some suitable killing zone designs that you'd like to share?

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: Killing zone design
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 04:26:00 am »

I prefer small bunkers to the long corridor like this, too far for wounded dwarves to get to saftey if they are under hostile fire.  bunkers with a small arc of fire are actually better I find, having one of your marksdwarves go up agianst 5 bowgobs is usually suicide, killing them one at a time is a better option in my book.  If you can get a starting position with a canyon that goes back into a cliff you can set up defences like this pretty easily.  Put rooms in the walls of the canyons with fortifications to the outside and use the canyon floor as your killing ground, ballistas firing from near the doors can be good but need micromanageing.  For a better defence against arrows, chain the biggest creature you can tame (elephants or giant gorillas are great for this) to the floor of your canyon and let them breed.  In a year or so you will have an effective arrow shield.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.