Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sea world sucks  (Read 1430 times)

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
Sea world sucks
« on: June 21, 2015, 01:53:37 am »

I can't even go into the ocean to see shamu without the game going into not responding for like a solid minute with every step I take. Is there any way to mod the ocean to be less of a dillhole? Or anything else I can do? Not sure if this is the right forum but it deals with modding as a resolution so idk man. I just wanna swim over to the other side to kill a dragon. I've been swimming all day, in real life time. My wife is going to leave me. Please send help
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

hatesdigimon

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp, I am.
    • View Profile
Re: Sea world sucks
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 10:20:11 pm »

seems like an adventurer mode topic. but it seems the issue is your pc's power. my game lags in adventure mode about once every 12-16 steps, but that's just it loading in new areas. ive never really heard much of ocean lag. usually lag is concentrated in areas with alot of items/ creatures ex. goblin encampments.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 03:44:02 pm »

Ocean lag is real and intense.

I modded an aquatic civilization. They build cities in the ocean. What does that mean? Is it floating on the surface? Underwater? No idea, I couldn't get to them. Lag. I no of no solution. I just gave up and consider it a question I'll never know, like the state of the universe before the big bang...

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 10:48:40 am »

Oceans have more objects than anywhere else. Each tile is 7 "water" objects. Theres a ton of tiles on your screen. THen theres a ton of squares beneath you. AND the game is trying to make sure each one of those acts realistically aka physics and does that whole wave mechanic thing. So to calculate your lag:

Lag=(((7(A ton)^(a ton X the number of Z levels))(wave mechanics))physics.) X Your processing speed
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 09:51:26 am »

Each tile is 7 "water" objects.
No, each tile just has a "liquid depth" of 7 and a "liquid type" of "water" (as opposed to "magma").

DF fluid physics, however, is still a very real and very CPU-intensive thing.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 12:46:59 pm »

If all you want to do is move across the ocean, there are DFHack scripts that will teleport your adventurer.